Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times

Advertisements

We are two moms with three kids - 9 year old and 4 year old twins. We are moving to the area for a job oppty. I will be working on Bush Street. We are looking at Walnut Creek area. Can anyone tell me about this area for same sex families? What are the best areas for our family? Ideally my children have other families in the area that are like ours. Good public schools are a must.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,843,111 times
There are a lot of same sex families living in closer in areas of the East Bay, like Berkeley and North Oakland. I suspect they exist in Walnut Creek too, but I don't really don't know. If there have been gaybashing incidents or the like there they haven't hit the press.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,495,557 times
I know several and a few are neighbors...

Outside of SF, I would say anywhere in Berkeley and the Oakland Hills...

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM

308 posts, read 465,527 times
There's a number of them in Alameda, too. There is a good gay presence here and great straight people too ;-). It's a good! Open minded community.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM

3,443 posts, read 5,225,178 times
Walnut Creek's a great city, and I suspect you'll have no problems out there, but you won't fit in quite the same way you would in Berkeley or the other bayside East Bay cities. The inland suburbs have some rather conservative contingents, and you'll see your share of Romney campaign posters and big nondenominational churches that strongly oppose same-sex anything, so there will likely be a few kids at school who aren't cool with other kids having two moms. It's just a little more all-American, but I love the area and think that as long as you're cool with yourself, others will be too. In Berkeley, by comparison, you'll be the most normal ones, and your kids will be more likely to get harassed if your family isn't composting your own sewage in order to grow organic corn to make your own ethanol to power your alternative fuel vehicle made from reclaimed wood and solar panels.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,433,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
There's a number of them in Alameda, too. There is a good gay presence here and great straight people too ;-). It's a good! Open minded community.
Well, there was that kerfuffle not too long ago about an anti-bigotry curriculum in Alameda public schools that was perceived as being too pro-gay. There is still a rather conservative contingent of former military there, but it's dwindling every year. On the other hand, the City of Alameda -- like Alameda and Contra Costa Counties as a whole -- did vote No on Prop 8.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,047,407 times
Check out Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland