Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
All very nice and very elegantly put. However, how shall we say, not totally "on the mark." You may say you are "family-oriented and relatively conservative in their social views." However, the facts deem otherwise. SF IS the EXTREME liberal left wing of society (Alameda County is close behind). If ONE THIRD of the city did not agree with its extreme left wing whacko policies, including this one (I love your PC "gender reassignment, instead of saying what it really is), people would not have the bad ideas of what SF is.
What the heck? What is it "really"? People goofing off with their bodies 'cause they want to give [other gender] a whirl? Have you ever met any trans people? It's a miserable situation to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
What the heck? What is it "really"? People goofing off with their bodies 'cause they want to give [other gender] a whirl? Have you ever met any trans people? It's a miserable situation to be in.
Boo hoo. It's a "miserable situation" they put themselves in.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Every time I read the title of this thread I think of the movie, "They All Laughed". It wasn't a big movie and I actually forgot all about it until now.

They All Laughed (1981) - IMDb

That is all.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
All very nice and very elegantly put. However, how shall we say, not totally "on the mark." You may say you are "family-oriented and relatively conservative in their social views." However, the facts deem otherwise. SF IS the EXTREME liberal left wing of society (Alameda County is close behind). If ONE THIRD of the city did not agree with its extreme left wing whacko policies, including this one (I love your PC "gender reassignment, instead of saying what it really is), people would not have the bad ideas of what SF is.

If you and the 1/3 were truly tired of "my city" being constantly kicked around and made fun of, you would do something to change it. However, you will not now, nor ever. You see, you are tacitly approving of the left wing fringe of your city taking control of it and using you. You have no real problem with it. For if you, and your great mayor (who I personally detest) would stand up against it, the problems wouldn't be so outlandish and in the media's view. However, you nor he will. Politics won't allow it. The lunatic left fringe of that city controls it and always will. After all, ANYTHING goes in SF. That is what it is famous for.
"Not totally on the mark," fair enough. However I should point out that I am white, not Asian. By "we," I meant San Franciscans. As for being "ONE THIRD" (why the caps?), anyone who knows basic math will realize that it takes a majority to pass a law. Because San Francisco is so diverse and has so many widely varying opinions on how things should be done, it's hard to get our Board of Supervisors to reach a consensus on anything. The Supes are voted in not citywide, but by district. So the district with a lot of gays elects a gay supervisor who advocates for them, the Sunset district elects a Chinese supervisor, etc. And nothing gets done. I'll be the first one to complain about that; our city government is dysfunctional.

As for doing something about the "EXTREME liberal left wing of society," I'm doing something merely by being here. My husband and I are middle-class, taxpaying, law-abiding home-owning citizens and political moderates. We are not wealthy and are not the elite that everyone likes to complain about. We are making our stand by staying put rather than fleeing to someplace that's cheaper to live in but doesn't have San Francisco's amenities. We like to think that we make the city a better place, by staying here, supporting local businesses and being good citizens. Oh, and by voting for the candidates who reflect our views. (I didn't vote for Mayor Lee, by the way, although I have nothing against him and think he's done a decent job so far.)

As for the "gender reassignment, " I personally do not care what it's called. I wasn't trying to be "politically correct," I was merely quoting the term used in the article that I linked to. "Sex change" is OK with me, too. Who even cares about such a petty thing?

I also agree with posters above who have pointed out that being born in the wrong body is not a "choice" and it's a truly miserable situation to be in. It's not the same as experimenting with changing your sex out of curiosity or for kicks. The people who get this procedure, as I said earlier, are very carefully screened.

A lot of what you said in your post is your own personal opinion. I don't happen to agree with you that San Francisco is that extreme in our laws. For example, I am happy to bring my own shopping bag and save the dime fee because that's what I was already doing and had been for many years. I also love it that we have such a good recycling program. If that makes me a loony or a tree-hugger in your view, then that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. One thing about diversity is that it means treating people with respect even if they don't look like you or think exactly like you do. Oh, and it's not the same as "tacitly approving" extremists. To be honest, I wish some of those noisy extremists would put a cork in it, but it's a free country.

I don't mean to sound belligerent, but I'm just so tired of all the attacks on San Francisco based on fringe groups that make a lot of noise and get a lot of media attention. I'm neither "tacitly approving" of them nor denying that they have political influence here, I'm just saying that people like that don't represent all San Franciscans, or even most of us.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-11-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Wait! You mean your cross-dressing, pot-smoking hippie nudist welfare-loving radical leftist whack jobs aren't just your average citizens who are working, raising families and going about your business? Who knew?
Gentoo has it right. Most of us really are pretty boring, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
there are "deependers" everywhere. certain ppl think this tranny garbage is deserving of public funds, and others believe pregnancy by rape is a gift from god and shouldnt be an excuse to have an abortion.

their political/spiritual beliefs differ, but ideologically they're on the same level.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
there are "deependers" everywhere. certain ppl think this tranny garbage is deserving of public funds, and others believe pregnancy by rape is a gift from god and shouldnt be an excuse to have an abortion.

their political/spiritual beliefs differ, but ideologically they're on the same level.
One is fanatical religious insanity advocating a position that one should accept and endure senseless violence and it's aftermath, because the great voice in their head says so. The other addresses the need of some to personally right what they believe is a biological wrong. Not on the same level.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
One is fanatical religious insanity advocating a position that one should accept and endure senseless violence and it's aftermath, because the great voice in their head says so. The other addresses the need of some to personally right what they believe is a biological wrong. Not on the same level.
biology is a B**** aint it.

theres a lot of women who figured it was biologically wrong to be a B cup and bought DDs instead i guess we should have all paid for them too...

Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post

theres a lot of women who figured it was biologically wrong to be a B cup and bought DDs instead i guess we should have all paid for them too...
Well, when you think about it, that wouldn't be such a bad idea, no?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Ugh, I think fake breasts look grotesque and unnatural, but that's off topic.

A cosmetic procedure such as breast augmentation is not even close to being in the same league as gender reassignment surgery. One is very common, a minor procedure done merely for appearance's sake. The other is very rare, involving a long series of major surgeries and hormonal treatments to correct a biological mistake in which a person was born a man in a woman's body or vice-versa. In some cases a person is born with ambiguous genitalia (features of both sexes) and this needs to be surgically corrected as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland