U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 AM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,943 posts, read 5,376,490 times
Reputation: 4095

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And you neighborhood is a lot more dangerous than the mid-tier areas of Oakland. But hey, who's comparing apples to apples.

These areas in Oakland look as much like the projects, as the actual projects in North Beach with the Trader Joes.
It's all relative.

My development I live in hasn't had a single murder since its existence. You can then zoom out to the neighborhood, then zoom out to the district, then zoom out to the city, then zoom out to the county, then zoom out to the state etc. You don't just live and stay in your area your entire time. Most of the time is spent in the city you live in and Oakland is one of the most violent cities in the US. That's why it's more relevant to compare city to city vs block to block.

 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:24 AM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,943 posts, read 5,376,490 times
Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The bolded is nonsensical. There isn't a different standard being used for "mid tier" in Oakland... mid tier means middle class. No middle class neighborhood in Oakland "looks like the projects" anywhere. What an incredibly ignorant comment.
Sheffield Village among other neighborhoods mentioned look like the projects in many cities I've previously lived. The houses are old and small and the streets are in dire shape. The only difference is the people aren't the same.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 6,932,716 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sheffield Village among other neighborhoods mentioned look like the projects in many cities I've previously lived. The houses are old and small and the streets are in dire shape. The only difference is the people aren't the same.
"old and small houses" describes a very large amount of the Bay Area. Does it all look like the projects to you?

And the streets in Sheffield Village are about as far from being in "dire shape" as you can get... for one thing there's no non-resident traffic in the neighborhood. For another I've walked those streets numerous times due to having a friend who lives there and "in dire shape" is something they've never been... mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: same reason
 
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,354 posts, read 33,197,163 times
Reputation: 10743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I actually live between Bayview and Visitation Valley.
Oh this says it all. LMAO.

Quote:
San Francisco is a world class city
Yes, but the area of SF in which you live in, is NOT.

In fact, the area of SF you claim to live in is quite subpar compared to all of the Oakland neighborhoods mentioned in this thread thusfar.

Quote:
Like I said before, the middle tier neighborhoods in Oakland look like the projects in many of the cities I've previously lived in and Oakland as a whole is similar to Detroit.
LOL..coming from the Bayview and Visitation Valley, this is extremely ironic considering your obsession with physical appearance that you would make such as strange comment.

Redwood Heights is Beverly Hills compared to Visitiation Valley and Adams Point makes the Bayview look thirdworldish. Quite frankly.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,354 posts, read 33,197,163 times
Reputation: 10743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) I said it before, it is not necessary to post pictures lol.
Well, the reason you dont want to post pictures of SFs lower tier neighborhoods is because they are not better than Oakland's middle tier neighborhoods as you claimed earlier.

Neither on paper, and DEFINITELY NOT in person.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
17,349 posts, read 12,364,891 times
Reputation: 12881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's all relative.

My development I live in hasn't had a single murder since its existence.
So you lived in one of those "walled garden" developments in the middle of a transitional area.

Quote:
Most of the time is spent in the city you live in and Oakland is one of the most violent cities in the US. That's why it's more relevant to compare city to city vs block to block.
Completely disagree here. Block to block is far more relevant that city to city. Most people rarely leave their neighborhood or the neighboring ones. The amenities and safety of your block and surrounding neighborhoods are far more important than the city's averages. Averages for an entire ciy tell a false stor, as it is a well known fact that individual cities have more variance block to block than comparing city to city.

It is fair to say, the average person who lives in Montclair or Adam's Point spends very little time hanging out at Eastmont Mall or whatever it is called now.

But I imagine, your radius is a bit farther since you live in an area of SF with limited amenities. I doubt people who live in the Haight, the Sunset, the Castro, or the Richmond spend much time in your area.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,354 posts, read 33,197,163 times
Reputation: 10743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Block to block is far more relevant that city to city.
I totally agee, but even at the city-vs-city level, Oakland whallops SF when it comes to good neighborhoods for homes under $400,001. As far as quality and variety of neighborhoods its not even close.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,943 posts, read 5,376,490 times
Reputation: 4095
I am able to walk my dog at 7am, 3pm, 10pm, 2am worry free without a leash. I'm a 5 minute drive from Bernal Heights and Mission. I'm a 10 minute drive from Downtown and Civic Center. I'm a 10 minute drive from Daly City and Fort Funston. I'm a 10 minute drive from Millbrae and Burlingame. I'm a 15 minute drive from Golden Gate Park and Marina.

Most people unless they are senior citizens don't spend most of their time on their block. San Francisco, Marin County and the Peninsula are reasons I find it worth giving up a big house with a yard. Oakland is just any other city, except it has ridiculusly high crime and a bad economy. There is nothing special about it and for the same price you could get a mansion in Texas in a much nicer city. You could get a great house in Florida with a pool near the beach. You could get a huge house with nice views and lots of land in Alaska. Oakland is just rundown with nothing special about it.

I feel like we are just repeating the same thing over and over. Once again, the bottom line is this is my opinion, so you shouldn't get so upset about it. I've lived all across the US and lived in Australia. I have a good understanding of different types of cities and home prices and in my opinion a city like Oakland should be much, much, much, much cheaper. $400k should get you at least an updated 3,500 sq ft home with a nice yard or views or waterfront location.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
267 posts, read 205,577 times
Reputation: 158
I respect your opinion, but because $400K doesn't get you that there must be a reason. Same as you say that SF is expensive for a reason Oakland is also expensive for a reason, even if that reason is its proximity to SF. If Oakland were not worth the price people would not live there. In your case, Oakland is not worth the price and SF is, as you said that's your opinion. I am offering my opinion to the OP, I believe that Oakland is well worth the price in the $300K $400K range. The communities, in large part, in that price range are quite nice and desirable, centrally located to most parts of the bay area and have a wide range of amenities available to them. I would also like to point out that the OP hasn't posted in a while so i really believe this topic has run its useful course.
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,354 posts, read 33,197,163 times
Reputation: 10743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I am able to walk my dog at 7am, 3pm, 10pm, 2am worry free without a leash. I'm a 5 minute drive from Bernal Heights and Mission. I'm a 10 minute drive from Downtown and Civic Center. I'm a 10 minute drive from Daly City and Fort Funston. I'm a 10 minute drive from Millbrae and Burlingame. I'm a 15 minute drive from Golden Gate Park and Marina.
Great, but you eventually have to go home to Hunter's Point. Gulp.

And Daly City, Millbrae, Bernal Heights? Hahahahaha. Are you joking?

LOL

Quote:
Most people unless they are senior citizens don't spend most of their time on their block.
If I were you, I wouldnt want to actually spend time in your neighborhood either, to be honest, so I dont blame you for thinking that your biggest bragging points are what's nearby.

On the other hand, in Redwood Heights you can spend time in your yard, your garden, enjoying the views, the trees(tall brown things with small green leaves)educated and traveled, sophisticated neighbors, and its an INVITING area that people like to host dinner parties or get togethers.

It all boils down to desirability and at the end of the day, a Bayview and Visitation Valley have their points no doubt, but Redwood Heights et al, are FAR AND AWAY more established.

And in the $300,000-$400,000 price range its really NO CONTEST.

Quote:
San Francisco, Marin County and the Peninsula are reasons I find it worth giving up a big house with a yard.
But Marin County and San Mateo County have massive houses with enormous yard, most of which are several times more expensive than $300,000-$400,000...which is what this thread is about.

Next.

Quote:
I feel like we are just repeating the same thing over and over.
And yet you still havent really explained with any plausible credibility how San Francisco's lower tier neighborhoods are more desirable to Oakland's middle tier neighborhoods.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-26-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top