U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,245 posts, read 6,876,496 times
Reputation: 2839

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Also is there anywhere that gets as uptight about what one refers or abbreviates a city as in the Bay Area?
Between the City constantly being called "San Fran" or "SFO," is there another city where out of towners erroneously think they know more about the place than the people who actually live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
 
151 posts, read 187,858 times
Reputation: 93
yes, SFO is the most common name for San Francisco. All of the locals refer to the city as SFO and you should too unless you want to look out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,402 posts, read 13,940,611 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Between the City constantly being called "San Fran" or "SFO," is there another city where out of towners erroneously think they know more about the place than the people who actually live there?
I don't get how abbreviating San Francisco how they want implies they are indicating they know more about people that live here and why people get so uptight about it. I hate the way "San Fran" sounds but I've never corrected someone on it. San Francisco is a long name to say, I rarely say the entire name unless I'm traveling somewhere and someone asks where I'm from and I almost rarely type it either.

I gotta say I don't think there is a place where transplants get as uptight and worked up as in the Bay Area about what someone refers to their adopted city as.

When I lived in San Diego people would abbreviate it and say a variety of nicknames a lot of locals didn't really use, no one cared though. I'm just amazed how many threads pop up about crap like this.

Last edited by sav858; 11-19-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
3,128 posts, read 2,543,955 times
Reputation: 2471
SFO= airport code

using it is a great way to get mocked by people online and labeled as a tourist

OAK also = airport code

using it online nobody will care

SJC also= airport code

using it online people will ONLY think you're talking about the aiport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,919 posts, read 6,886,949 times
Reputation: 2942
Short answer: No.

Long answer: The only widely accepted abbreviation is SF. Frisco (or "the Sco") is used in the hood and San Fran is used by tourists but the only shorthand widely used throughout and outside of San Francisco in conversation is "the City". SF can be used in conversation as well but generally isn't (I have before though).

Source: I'm from the Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
507 posts, read 562,560 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't get how abbreviating San Francisco how they want implies they are indicating they know more about people that live here and why people get so uptight about it. I hate the way "San Fran" sounds but I've never corrected someone on it. San Francisco is a long name to say, I rarely say the entire name unless I'm traveling somewhere and someone asks where I'm from and I almost rarely type it either.

I gotta say I don't think there is a place where transplants get as uptight and worked up as in the Bay Area about what someone refers to their adopted city as.

When I lived in San Diego people would abbreviate it and say a variety of nicknames a lot of locals didn't really use, no one cared though. I'm just amazed how many threads pop up about crap like this.
I've tracked a lot of articles and opinions and tried to figure out where this pickiness against abbreviating "San Francisco" comes from. I gathered from the Maritime Museum that "Frisco" was likely coined by sailors. The crews came from all different countries and didn't share a language. Any long complicated word or name got shortened.

Of course, sailors usually aren't the most desirable visitors. Then the term got picked up by longshoremen and later bikers and ghetto kids. So there's this general vibe that it's low-class and disrespectful to use "Frisco" -- even though, as far as I can tell, it's most always used fondly by actual natives.

SFO and "San Fran" make you sound like a tourist, which I guess is important to a lot of transplants. I'm not sure what the big stigma is. It's not like everyone hates tourists. But SFO is inaccurate and San Fran does sound unpleasant, so there's that.

The one acceptable abbreviation -- "The City" -- amuses me so much. Ultimate snobbiness. Of course, THE City = San Francisco; no one could possibly be talking about anyplace else! (I use it all the time. And try not to laugh. It's especially awesome when back in Chicago where no one has any idea what the heck I'm talking about.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,919 posts, read 6,886,949 times
Reputation: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I've tracked a lot of articles and opinions and tried to figure out where this pickiness against abbreviating "San Francisco" comes from. I gathered from the Maritime Museum that "Frisco" was likely coined by sailors. The crews came from all different countries and didn't share a language. Any long complicated word or name got shortened.

Of course, sailors usually aren't the most desirable visitors. Then the term got picked up by longshoremen and later bikers and ghetto kids. So there's this general vibe that it's low-class and disrespectful to use "Frisco" -- even though, as far as I can tell, it's most always used fondly by actual natives.

SFO and "San Fran" make you sound like a tourist, which I guess is important to a lot of transplants. I'm not sure what the big stigma is. It's not like everyone hates tourists. But SFO is inaccurate and San Fran does sound unpleasant, so there's that.

The one acceptable abbreviation -- "The City" -- amuses me so much. Ultimate snobbiness. Of course, THE City = San Francisco; no one could possibly be talking about anyplace else! (I use it all the time. And try not to laugh. It's especially awesome when back in Chicago where no one has any idea what the heck I'm talking about.)

It's more about that there's multiple major cities in the Bay Area and "the City" distinguishes it from the others. Conversely (and not-so coincidentally) Oakland's known as "the Town" to urban Bay Area locals. Like the term Frisco, the Town isn't used by transplants or upper class people... transplants use the Oakland version of San Fran (Oaktown) which is equally grating to any Oaklander under the age of 40 and is a dead giveaway for a transplant if the person using it is under 40.

If anything, it's a statement about how isolated and to an extent how provincial the Bay Area is... this obviously wouldn't happen in a region of the country where big cities were built very close to each other as an ubiquitous term like "the city" would be meaningless. That is, unless you're talking about New York... apparently the laws of snobbishness don't apply to them lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
622 posts, read 432,984 times
Reputation: 392
I refer to the airport as "SFO" but the city is "San Francisco" or "SF" if I'm feeling lazy. I don't know anyone who calls the city itself "SFO".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
507 posts, read 562,560 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
It's more about that there's multiple major cities in the Bay Area and "the City" distinguishes it from the others. Conversely (and not-so coincidentally) Oakland's known as "the Town" to urban Bay Area locals. Like the term Frisco, the Town isn't used by transplants or upper class people... transplants use the Oakland version of San Fran (Oaktown) which is equally grating to any Oaklander under the age of 40 and is a dead giveaway for a transplant if the person using it is under 40.

If anything, it's a statement about how isolated and to an extent how provincial the Bay Area is... this obviously wouldn't happen in a region of the country where big cities were built very close to each other as an ubiquitous term like "the city" would be meaningless. That is, unless you're talking about New York... apparently the laws of snobbishness don't apply to them lol.
Yeah, I understand why it makes sense here, I'm just easily amused. It probably helps that SF is so geographically small too. When someone asks where you're headed, "the City" is enough detail. In most cities, you'd actually need to specify a neighborhood to see if you're going to the same location.

Still waiting for an opportunity to use "the Town." Someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,402 posts, read 13,940,611 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
I've tracked a lot of articles and opinions and tried to figure out where this pickiness against abbreviating "San Francisco" comes from. I gathered from the Maritime Museum that "Frisco" was likely coined by sailors. The crews came from all different countries and didn't share a language. Any long complicated word or name got shortened.

Of course, sailors usually aren't the most desirable visitors. Then the term got picked up by longshoremen and later bikers and ghetto kids. So there's this general vibe that it's low-class and disrespectful to use "Frisco" -- even though, as far as I can tell, it's most always used fondly by actual natives.

SFO and "San Fran" make you sound like a tourist, which I guess is important to a lot of transplants. I'm not sure what the big stigma is. It's not like everyone hates tourists. But SFO is inaccurate and San Fran does sound unpleasant, so there's that.

The one acceptable abbreviation -- "The City" -- amuses me so much. Ultimate snobbiness. Of course, THE City = San Francisco; no one could possibly be talking about anyplace else! (I use it all the time. And try not to laugh. It's especially awesome when back in Chicago where no one has any idea what the heck I'm talking about.)
That's kind of interesting with the sailors and stuff you bring up, never knew that.

"San Fran" can be really grating with an east coast, especially Boston, accent.

I probably say The City most often but never use it outside the Bay Area unless I'm speaking with someone else from the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top