U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 AM

7,552 posts, read 6,610,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
No, people call it the City Built By the Gods, or CBBTG.....
Just which "Gods" is forever in question.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 AM

6,805 posts, read 1,362,527 times
I always thought it was built on rock and roll.

Starship - We Built This City - YouTube

Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 AM

102 posts, read 132,195 times
Default So...do the natives really hate the term 'Frisco'?

I've heard some conflicting opinons about this and was hoping to get some final clarity on this issue.

Yey or Nay?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM

920 posts, read 764,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Just which "Gods" is forever in question.
Sorry, dumbgod, but very, very, very intelligent ones with a big checking account....

Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM

404 posts, read 423,637 times
The real San Franciscan Natives,and I am talking about the San Franciscan born before 1960 did not like for their city been called "Frisco" it was consider disrespectful to the name of the Patron Saint; San Francisco De Assisi! whom the city was named after by the Spaniards.
SFO is technically the San Francisco International, San Francisco is not SFO by any means;back in the day only the out of town tourist or drifters would mistakenly call San Francisco "Frisco". And the natives automatically knew that the persons that would call it Frisco where foreign to San Francisco.
After I moved out of San Francisco my cat Ms Kitty died 17 months later; so I got a new kitten, but it turn out to be a male so I couldn't name him Kitty so I named him Frisco! after the city's controversial name.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM

6,915 posts, read 6,762,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
The real San Franciscan Natives,and I am talking about the San Franciscan born before 1960 did not like for their city been called "Frisco" it was consider disrespectful to the name of the Patron Saint; San Francisco De Assisi! whom the city was named after by the Spaniards.
SFO is technically the San Francisco International, San Francisco is not SFO by any means;back in the day only the out of town tourist or drifters would mistakenly call San Francisco "Frisco". And the natives automatically knew that the persons that would call it Frisco where foreign to San Francisco.
After I moved out of San Francisco my cat Ms Kitty died 17 months later; so I got a new kitten, but it turn out to be a male so I couldn't name him Kitty so I named him Frisco! after the city's controversial name.
I once heard that there were two out of town crooks hiding in the city that the police inadvertently found when they asked two guys sitting under a bridge where they were from and they replied "Frisco", to which the police replied "no one from the City calls it Frisco." That's a whole different era lol.

That being said, that's definitely not how it is now... Frisco's the most common nickname for SF other than the City in the city's poor neighborhoods.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I once heard that there were two out of town crooks hiding in the city that the police inadvertently found when they asked two guys sitting under a bridge where they were from and they replied "Frisco", to which the police replied "no one from the City calls it Frisco." That's a whole different era lol.

That being said, that's definitely not how it is now... Frisco's the most common nickname for SF other than the City in the city's poor neighborhoods.
It was actually at the Berkeley Marina where those two crooks were capture when they were asked by police where were they from and they answered Frisco. Yes! San Francisco is still called Frisco at times even on the lyrics of some music.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That's just it - the shock of hearing Frisco or San Fran is wearing off as the decades go by. Yuppies moving in don't care about that stuff, since they weren't around when it was off-putting. Random people from wherever say San Fran, and people from the 'hood say Frisco these days.
Unless we're intentionally trying to irritate old-school SFers, which can be a satisfying entertainment.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's just it - the shock of hearing Frisco or San Fran is wearing off as the decades go by. Yuppies moving in don't care about that stuff, since they weren't around when it was off-putting. Random people from wherever say San Fran, and people from the 'hood say Frisco these days.
Unless we're intentionally trying to irritate old-school SFers, which can be a satisfying entertainment.
Some of it has to do with the moral decay of some of the newer generation and lack of respect for their elders.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Some of it has to do with the moral decay of some of the newer generation and lack of respect for their elders.
Some earn more respect than others.

Every generation is reviled by previous ones, anyway. Might as well heckle 'em and enjoy their outrage if they're that oversensitive.

In the Bay Area, that means saying San Fran or Frisco.

Greg Papa, covering the Superbowl in New Orleans today for 95.7 The Game, advised all reporters on Media Day not to say "Frisco" unless they're intentionally trying to **** someone off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland