U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM

36 posts, read 37,867 times
Default Do people refer San Franciso as SFO?

This might be a silly question but the other day two friends of mine were referring to San Francisco as SFO. I'm going to SFO next week and so on... I asked what is SFO? And they were taken aback tha I did not know what SFO stood for.

Apparently, everyone refers to San Francisco as SFO? Is that correct? Thanks for clarifying it out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM

7,227 posts, read 5,669,677 times
Only if they think The City is an airport.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM

127 posts, read 155,387 times
SFO isn't used as a shorthand for the City of San Franciso, unlike other places such as Atlanta being called "ATL" or Phoenix "PHX".
Perhaps because SFO isn't actually in San Francisco, but is 15 miles south of the city. Also, the Bay Area has 3 major cities (San Francisoc, Oakland, San Jose) unlike Atlanta or Phoenix, which have one.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM

24,376 posts, read 14,649,193 times
SF yes, SFO if they are flying and refer to their destinations by airport code. Only you know your friends well enough to figure out if they are speaking in some hip new lingo (they aren't) or if they are really just kind of ignorant.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM

10,108 posts, read 12,575,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
SFO isn't used as a shorthand for the City of San Franciso, unlike other places such as Atlanta being called "ATL" or Phoenix "PHX".
Perhaps because SFO isn't actually in San Francisco, but is 15 miles south of the city. Also, the Bay Area has 3 major cities (San Francisoc, Oakland, San Jose) unlike Atlanta or Phoenix, which have one.
I've never heard anyone in person refer to Phoenix as "PHX", that just sounds weird imo.

I've only seen people refer to SF as "SFO" online but don't recall anyone in person saying that. For some reason it seems to bother people online too like "Frisco" or "San Fran", I don't really get the big deal people make about it.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM

8,117 posts, read 2,998,574 times
Only people who are too lazy to pronounce an extra syllable.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM

7,751 posts, read 8,864,433 times
No.

Only an auslander* would say that.

* In this usage, it is a Herb Caenism. Auslanders would say "CLEM-ent" etc.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM

56 posts, read 41,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've never heard anyone in person refer to Phoenix as "PHX", that just sounds weird imo.

I've only seen people refer to SF as "SFO" online but don't recall anyone in person saying that. For some reason it seems to bother people online too like "Frisco" or "San Fran", I don't really get the big deal people make about it.
Actually this is quite common in Phoenix. Even the Phoenix Suns have alternate orange jerseys that just display "PHX" on the front.

I see "SF" used a lot around here and I will use it myself. That seems to be the only abbreviation everyone can agree on. Anything else is sure to spark an embarrassing debate on its appropriateness.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

10,108 posts, read 12,575,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
Actually this is quite common in Phoenix. Even the Phoenix Suns have alternate orange jerseys that just display "PHX" on the front.

I see "SF" used a lot around here and I will use it myself. That seems to be the only abbreviation everyone can agree on. Anything else is sure to spark an embarrassing debate on its appropriateness.
I know that but I mean do people actually say "PHX" aloud? I see Phoenix abbreviated all the time like that but didn't realize people will actually say those three letters to refer to it.

Also is there anywhere that gets as uptight about what one refers or abbreviates a city as in the Bay Area?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,783,414 times
Easy answer: Nobody around here refers to San Francisco as SFO. Nobody. In all my 32 years of living here, SFO has always specifically referred to San Francisco International Airport. Actually, this website is the only place I've ever seen anybody refer to the city as SFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland