Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM

151 posts, read 366,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
The newcomers are not all White either.
actually,they are. and here's a newsflash to the gentrifiers, the natives of w.o. cringe everytime they see you riding your g&y bicycle or walking your dog and acting oblivious to your surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
actually,they are. and here's a newsflash to the gentrifiers, the natives of w.o. cringe everytime they see you riding your g&y bicycle or walking your dog and acting oblivious to your surroundings.
Is this a race thing or...? Would the natives prefer that no change occurred? Trying to understand how they would be opposed to people who are willing to invest, fix up properties that are either abandoned or falling apart, live in the area, and potentially attract small businesses other than liquor stores to set up shop? I'm not white.

I agree that folks who act like it's safe to walk around at night are a bit oblivious to the situation, but isn't that how the neighborhood will change, when a critical mass of people who live there don't feel like they have to be forted up past 8 PM?

As for bikes, it's too bad it's now part of the hipster identity. It is a good way to get around and stay healthy. I do it and prefer to commute by bike when it's convenient, despite having a car.

Last edited by safefromharm; 11-26-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
^^^
Why West Oakland isn't going to change for a long, long time. The sidewalks are not for walking your dogs, they are for selling drugs!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
OP, if you want a REAL West Oakland resident's take, PM me

Most of the replies in this thread are from Oakland bashers/haters and I'm sick of repeating myself

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
In 1990, West Oakland was 77% Black, 7% White, and 9% Latino. In 2010, West Oakland was 53% Black, 15% White, and 22% Latino (Census, reported by the City). Not all of the newcomers are White.

If Black people cringe at the sight of bicycles, why do I see them on bikes, all over Oakland? Why are there groups whose mission is to encourage more Black people to cycle? It's the cheapest form of personal transportation.

mod cut

Gentrifying neighborhoods in Oakland and LA--West Oakland is not comparable to Silver Lake, a hilly neighborhood that's always had lots of architect-designed houses, and is one of the centers of gay life for all LA. Silver Lake is a lot more comparable to Temescal or Rockridge. Echo Park, closer in, has some similarities with Kono. West Oakland might be more comparable to West Adams--a once grand, then struggling neighborhood with new access due to the Expo light rail line.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-28-2012 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: debate the idea, not the person. Please.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
In 1990, West Oakland was 77% Black, 7% White, and 9% Latino. In 2010, West Oakland was 53% Black, 15% White, and 22% Latino (Census, reported by the City). Not all of the newcomers are White.

If Black people cringe at the sight of bicycles, why do I see them on bikes, all over Oakland? Why are there groups whose mission is to encourage more Black people to cycle? It's the cheapest form of personal transportation.

mod cut

Gentrifying neighborhoods in Oakland and LA--West Oakland is not comparable to Silver Lake, a hilly neighborhood that's always had lots of architect-designed houses, and is one of the centers of gay life for all LA. Silver Lake is a lot more comparable to Temescal or Rockridge. Echo Park, closer in, has some similarities with Kono. West Oakland might be more comparable to West Adams--a once grand, then struggling neighborhood with new access due to the Expo light rail line.
I don't think Silverlake is comparable to Rockridge. I actually lived in Rockridge 20 years ago and it wasn't full of crime, it was pretty nice. Silverlake on the other hand was not, and had lots of violence, though not nearly as much as the 80s. What I'm talking about is the transformation!

Why did Silverlake become a center for hipsters, wealthy gays, and a vibrant creative arts scene? It had a lot of the same problems that West Oakland has right now but managed to fix them and become a desirable neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I never knew you lived in Rockridge 20 years ago. In fact, it's the first time I've ever seen you post that before. Interesting. What street did you live off of and why did you move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland