U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 696 times
Default First Timer To SFO! Requesting tips and suggestions!

I'm surprising my girlfriend for her 21st birthday with tickets to SF!

Any tips and suggestions that come to mind?

Here's my notes so far:

Attractions:
Golden Gate Bridge
Alcatraz
Walt Disney Family Museum
Castro Theater
Japanese Tea Garden
60-minute Cruise
Warriors game?

Food:
La Mar Cebichería Peruana (Seafood)
Suppenküche (German food & beer boot)

Locations:
Fisherman’s Wharf (tourists)
North Beach (Little Italy) >> Trieste (Coffee)
China Town
Russian Hill
Noe Valley
Angel Island
Marin Headlands
Palace Of Fine Arts
San Francisco Financial District
Pier 39 (Seals)
Castro District
Ghirardelli Square (chocolates)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM

5,096 posts, read 4,288,591 times
I would suggest also visiting: De Young Museum, Nob Hill, taking a ferry to Sausalito from the Ferry Building, and Japantown.

FYI, SFO refers to the airport and not the city.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 6,630,408 times
For attractions I'd add Legion of Honor (art museum) and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. On food it depends on what kind you're looking for and how much you're looking to spend. On your locations list I'd add Haight-Ashbury (remnants of SF's hippie culture) and Lands End (best trail in San Francisco).

Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM

5,096 posts, read 4,288,591 times
Oh, I forgot, visit Twin Peaks for great views of the city.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM

8,492 posts, read 3,606,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hoops View Post
San Francisco Financial District
?

Well, my office does have a pretty nice view of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island -- I could show you it.

If you do go there, you should definitely stop at the Ferry Building for food shopping and/or lunch.

Another great food option is Anchor Oyster Bar on Castro Street. It's tiny, so there's always a line, but it's really worth it.

And finally, on your way to/from North Beach and/or Fisherman's Wharf, you should visit Telegraph Hill. Walk up the Filbert or Greenwich steps from Levi's Plaza and see if you can spot the wild parrots. Then go to the top of Coit Tower for a spectacular view.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 696 times
You are all so awesome. Thanks so much!

Can I get to the "Lands End" without a vehicle?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,619,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hoops View Post
You are all so awesome. Thanks so much!

Can I get to the "Lands End" without a vehicle?
Yes, it's how I always got there! There are two ways to get there, either from the west end of the trail in the SW corner of Lincoln Park, or the east end of the trail in the NE corner of the park. Go on Google Maps and look at Lincoln Park, what you want to get on is the footpath listed as "Lands End Trail."

Either you can take the 38 or 38L to the end of the line where it stops at Pt. Lobos and then get on the nearby trail at the west end, or take the number 1 bus to California and 32nd and walk up to El Camino del Mar and then catch the trail there. It's a little confusing but I think Google Maps will help. It's definitely my favorite trail in SF, very wild and rocky (despite being at the edge of a golf course!) and way up on a cliff over the water, and the views of Marin and the GG Bridge are stunning. Also it's pretty accessible compared to the steep and out of the way routes to get to the top of say Bernal Hill or Twin Peaks. The Lands End trail does have a lot of stair steps and steep climbs though, so I wouldn't recommend it for people who have mobility problems.

Keep in mind most of Lincoln Park is a golf course so you can't cut through it like you could in Golden Gate Park or the Presidio.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM

8,492 posts, read 3,606,322 times
Also keep in mind that the Palace of the Legion of Honor in the same general area as Land's End, so you could easily combine the two.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM

2,249 posts, read 777,295 times
Just in case you're not aware, the Warriors are in Oakland, and from what I've heard unless you're a fan of basketball seeing a game live won't make you a fan.

Oh yeah, and when it comes to Pier 39 have a back-up plan. The seals aren't always there and sometimes its only one or two. I've been there before only to see disappointed tourists when they saw 0 seals and sea lions.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,699,451 times
Also, make sure you bring hand wipes if you go to Pier 39. The tables are super dirty (think pigeon and gull poop, pigeons trying to eat off your plate, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland