U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM

29 posts, read 35,471 times
Default novato/palo alto

I have received an offer to work in Novato and my husband works in Palo Alto.
We have a 6 year old child and she goes to a private school near home. We currently live in Union city, CA

Commute to Novato seems way too long for me from union city. Any suggestions on a good location where we both can commute a bit better and send our child to a good school as well?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM

116 posts, read 136,242 times
Darn, talk about opposite sides of the bay. If you can afford it, an option is the Peninsula, northern parts. Maybe Millbrae/Burlingame? I think 101 North is opposing traffic in the morning, so it might not be that bad. 101 South to PA would be painful though.

Maybe Southern Marin? Sausalito, Mill Valley, Larkspur?

Unread 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 2,621,983 times
Why not live in the city?

Unread 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM

thank you, both
I am new to the area..any thoughts on best place to stay in the city?
I will check out burlingame as well.

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,911,942 times
I know this will sound terribly harsh, but one of you should seriously find a closer job to where you want to be depending on the better career path/opportunities. With those two locations, one parent won't ever see your child, will be terribly stressed, and will probably be in for some serious relationship issues in the not so distant future. It's seriously taxing on everyone to do this kind of commute every day and is not worth any salary!

Even if you found a mid point (like San Francisco, for instance), with traffic, either of you will be in the car for a minimum of an hour and half each way. It's not something either of you will appreciate after 6 months of it. I know it's not what people want to hear, and I'm honestly not trying to be negative about it, but it's absolutely horrible to live this way.

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 824,221 times
Jesus, nowhere that makes sense from a sanity point of view. Either you or your husband is going to be stressed out with the commute.

I suggest you simply goggle map it and just check out places that makes sense for you somewhere in the mid point. I can suggest a few towns but if you guys end up moving there, one of you will be cursing me every rush hour, so I'm not even going to bother.

The only suggestion I have for you is to stick to 280 instead of 101, it's a much smoother commute. Look on the western side of the bay, close to 280. On the down side, the weather sucks in those parts but that's the least of your concern. SF has a lottery system for schools and the public schools are horrible, so if you choose to live in SF, may have to stick with private schools. Otherwise, Daly City and South SF aren't known for their schools either but there may be pockets of acceptableness.

Unread 11-26-2012, 10:47 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,471,813 times
Maybe look in the East Bay - Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, Alameda-ish?
That'll split the difference time-wise for your commutes.

Unread 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM

6,484 posts, read 14,846,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv_i View Post
I have received an offer to work in Novato and my husband works in Palo Alto.
We have a 6 year old child and she goes to a private school near home. We currently live in Union city, CA

Commute to Novato seems way too long for me from union city. Any suggestions on a good location where we both can commute a bit better and send our child to a good school as well?

Thank you!
They're too far apart. For your sanity's sake, decline the offer and look for something closer.

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM

234 posts, read 267,117 times
Default its not THAT bad

Last year I met someone who lives in the Hamilton area of Novato and commutes to Stanford! He claimed it took him 1:10 but he must leave at 6am or something, because that seems almost impossible. The traffic is considerably denser south of SF then it is in Marin, so I would go for that side of things to split the difference. As someone else stated if you can go to Palo Alto via 280 instead of 101 that will help a lot. As long as you don't mind fog I would suggest Pacifica/SSF/Daly city/San Bruno/Millbrae, i know Millbrae schools are very good, but i don't know about the others (millbrae/south parts of San bruno don't have as much fog). If you're looking at the city, I would guess best choices for neighborhoods would be the Sunset, West Portal, or Glen Park.

Forget the other suggestion to go for the east bay, commuting to the Peninsula from the east bay is horrific unless you're from somewhere like Union city, which would not be commutable to Marin.

Unread 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Thank you every one..you have given me a lot of think about.
I appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland