U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,792,890 times

Advertisements

Most of the drug dealers in Oakland have gang affiliations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:47 PM

6,813 posts, read 5,304,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That article mentioned nothing about gangs nor did it even mention the word "gang". So I'm not sure who is implying anything about gangs yet, certainly not anyone involved with the investigation according to that article. It's very misleading to make such a statement then link article as if it had something to do with that statement.
The thread title, OP and the first couple posts mentioned gangs, so bringing up another possible gang related crime is relevant.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM

10,407 posts, read 13,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The thread title, OP and the first couple posts mentioned gangs, so bringing up another possible gang related crime is relevant.
That crime isn't gang related at all as far as any of us know, so no it's not relevant. Did you even read the link? It doesn't even mention the word gang in the article. So I guess I can just post any article about any crime and relate it to gangs?

Someone was kidnapped a few weeks ago at gunpoint in WC, oh no the GANGS are here in the Dub-C! Where the right colors folks!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM

15 posts, read 10,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
How do you know this? Are you from Oakland did you grow up there? One of my friends father is an OPD cop that has patrolled East Oakland for 20+ years. He's always said there is no gang problem outside of the Latino gangs. Drugs are the biggest problem and he constantly works with the DEA.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,831,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
What do the type of weapons have to do with whether it was gang related or not? These were two white girls from a decent area of Oakland. I highly doubt this was gang related. Sounds more like a drug deal gone bad.
Could be. Crazed white methheads with guns do stuff like this, too. It ain't just black guys in gangsmod cut.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: trolling and baiting

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
How do you know this? Are you from Oakland did you grow up there? One of my friends father is an OPD cop that has patrolled East Oakland for 20+ years. He's always said there is no gang problem outside of the Latino gangs. Drugs are the biggest problem and he constantly works with the DEA.
I have lived in the Bay Area a long time. Oakland's gangs run the drug trade in the city. This is well known, ever since the days of Felix Mitchell pretty much.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM

I didn't always live in Lafayette, but even if I lived my entire life here, I'm not sure how that excludes me from knowing about Oakland's gang dominated drug trade. Do you have to be a beat cop to know these things?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM

6,920 posts, read 6,892,444 times
Quote:

No they don't. The closest the average drug dealer in Oakland gets to a gang affiliation is their (generally) Norteño suppliers. Otherwise, Oakland drug dealers tend to run in very small groups or by themselves. The turfs are just that: turfs. One group of people in a turf can have absolutely nothing to do with another group of people in the same turf... they don't function as gangs. Some groups are bigger than others (i.e. GAS Team, STI, etc) but they're not gangs.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The closest the average drug dealer in Oakland gets to a gang affiliation is their (generally) Norteño suppliers. Otherwise, Oakland drug dealers tend to run in very small groups or by themselves. The turfs are just that: turfs. One group of people in a turf can have absolutely nothing to do with another group of people in the same turf...
That is a pretty accurate, clear and concise definition of gang activity. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM

6,920 posts, read 6,892,444 times
Quote:
That is a pretty accurate, clear and concise definition of gang activity. Thanks for proving my point.

No, not at all. Gang activity is about expanding the reach and drug territory of a gang as far as possible and pushing other gangs out. There are only three significant gangs in Oakland and they are all latino; everything else is not a gang and what's more they do not function like gangs. Some of the outcomes are the same - in both cases many die over drug money and revenge - but the actual experience of living on the ground in Oakland as a black male is nowhere near the same as what the experience of a latino male living in Oakland is. Gangs try to make names for themselves by killing as many rival gang members as possible and the violence can often have nothing to do with money or drug territory... Turfs are concerned first and foremost about money. If you aren't negatively affecting their income, they don't have a problem with you nor do they care. Outside of that, most of the violence is personal disputes over girls and etc... Sometimes the media erroneously jumps to conclusions about "erupting turf wars" when really it's between at most 2 or 3 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland