U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,848,131 times

Advertisements

D___ I hope we don't see a return to the way things were during the late 80s and early 90s:

Man shot, injured, on Highway 101 in San Mateo, police say - San Jose Mercury News
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM

6,915 posts, read 6,762,332 times
Gang violence - specifically between Nortes and Sureños - has been increasing everywhere in the Bay Area with the main exception of Oakland where one side is very clearly dominating the other; Oakland latino gang violence was much worse between 2006 and 2009 than it is now. The "war" is still on in SJ and SF.

The surge in the Peninsula doesn't surprise me either... there's a lot of Salvadoreans in the upper peninsula/lower SF (namely in the Excelsior and Daly City) and the Nortes don't get along with MS13. The lower peninsula is dominated by Nortes and Sureños from San Mateo to EPA.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
i think the op is saying he hopes EPA doesn't go back to the old days. the recent surge in violence doesn't involve latino's, it's a feud between black groups Palo Alto Online : Gang crackdown in East Palo Alto, Menlo Park

Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,746,843 times
Some suspect these recent killings of two teenage girls in Oakland may have been random Gang violence (they were shot multiple times, like target practice).

Who says gangsters only kill gangsters?
Mystery surrounds shooting deaths of teen girls in East Oakland - Inside Bay Area

Oakland's 114th and 115th homicides this year, already higher than Oakland's 2011 count, and we still have a month to go. Very sad and tragic.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 10,415 times
I don't see it any worse than when I was in High School. In fact it's better. In the 90's in SF gangs were EVERYWHERE. Now it's not cool to be a gangster like it once was. Even music and dress wise, guys look different. Skinny jeans and fitted clothes. Doc Goldstein can you discuss anything other than Oakland crime? Other cities in the bay area have crime as well. Why do you only direct your focus on Oakland?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
I don't see it any worse than when I was in High School. In fact it's better. In the 90's in SF gangs were EVERYWHERE. Now it's not cool to be a gangster like it once was. Even music and dress wise, guys look different. Skinny jeans and fitted clothes. Doc Goldstein can you discuss anything other than Oakland crime? Other cities in the bay area have crime as well. Why do you only direct your focus on Oakland?
I appreciate your concern for my comments, I like to respond to my fans.

Oakland happens to have lots of gang violence, and if you read up, I wasn't the one who brought up Oakland first, nor is this thread about any specific city. The article I posted was published today so it's very fresh news of a tragic story with possible gang violence implications.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM

10,336 posts, read 13,744,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
The article I posted was published today so it's very fresh news of a tragic story with possible gang violence implications.
That article mentioned nothing about gangs nor did it even mention the word "gang". So I'm not sure who is implying anything about gangs yet, certainly not anyone involved with the investigation according to that article. It's very misleading to make such a statement then link article as if it had something to do with that statement.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I appreciate your concern for my comments, I like to respond to my fans.

Oakland happens to have lots of gang violence, and if you read up, I wasn't the one who brought up Oakland first, nor is this thread about any specific city. The article I posted was published today so it's very fresh news of a tragic story with possible gang violence implications.
Perhaps you can point out the gang part of that article, i don't see it.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM

They don't say it in the article but I heard on the radio that one of the theories is random gang violence because of the weapons used.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM

What do the type of weapons have to do with whether it was gang related or not? These were two white girls from a decent area of Oakland. I highly doubt this was gang related. Sounds more like a drug deal gone bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland