Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 AM

34 posts, read 153,426 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've been seriously considering a move out to San Francisco area.

Basically, I would probably be flying over with a about a week of hotel stay, using a portion of our family timeshare, during which time I would either be sublet hunting or apartment hunting, then job hunting.

Where should I be looking to stay (hotel)? Look for a sublet/apartment? (Studio, under $1k ideally or with roommates).

I think I would like to work in the city, so I would need a public transit commute of ideally under 45 minutes.

I had a brief stint in NYC, and now that I'm back in Boston, really can't stand living in the nest. I kind of miss NYC for what it is. I also don't mind Boston but if I had to choose a place to settle down in, it would probably still be NYC, despite my love/hate relationship with the place.

All this maybe moot anyway, I am dead set on going to graduate school in 2 years. The easiest thing I could do now is stay in Boston and wait it out, (though if I got into Sloan or HBS, I'd still be around I guess)... or I could have a bit more fun along the way and see a bit more of the US. (Have never been to the West Coast).

Any of you have any suggestions of places to live/look for apartments in the event I do decide to make the flight?

Last edited by mhz123; 10-14-2007 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 AM

87 posts, read 164,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhz123 View Post
Hey guys, I've been seriously considering a move out to San Francisco area.

Basically, I would probably be flying over with a about a week of hotel stay, using a portion of our family timeshare, during which time I would either be sublet hunting or apartment hunting, then job hunting.

Where should I be looking to stay (hotel)? Look for a sublet/apartment? (Studio, under $1k ideally or with roommates).

I think I would like to work in the city, so I would need a public transit commute of ideally under 45 minutes.

I had a brief stint in NYC, and now that I'm back in Boston, really can't stand living in the nest. I kind of miss NYC for what it is. I also don't mind Boston but if I had to choose a place to settle down in, it would probably still be NYC, despite my love/hate relationship with the place.

All this maybe moot anyway, I am dead set on going to graduate school in 2 years. The easiest thing I could do now is stay in Boston and wait it out, (though if I got into Sloan or HBS, I'd still be around I guess)... or I could have a bit more fun along the way and see a bit more of the US. (Have never been to the West Coast).

Any of you have any suggestions of places to live/look for apartments in the event I do decide to make the flight?
You should already be applying for jobs. Set up interviews for the week of your trip. The last thing you need is to be running around in this expensive area without a job. Good luck to you my friend!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
i would highly recommend visiting SF or any other west coast city you're interested in before relocating. do you know anyone in the area? i bet you six degrees of separation applies to you and someone you know, know's someone in SF. you just have to ask around or let people know what you're planning to do. there is also a hostel in SF (near Fort Mason & Ghiradelli Square) and Marin County if you don't want to pay a lot in hotel charges. i think anything is possible and if you believe you'll find a job when you get here, you will. however, it might be easier if you follow the post above's advice. good luck!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
I'm in the same boat as you. Let me know how it goes. Did you graduate college?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 PM

45 posts, read 71,931 times
The best way to go through life is be spontainious. A plan is ok but boring and to predictable.

Just move and don't look back i always say.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Rent in SF went up %12 in the past year. The average rent in SF is $2250. I recommend you have something lined up before just coming out here.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:57 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
I think the best way to go through life is to have balance, which includes spontaneity and planning. I'm a free spirit, but I'm leaning towards Cityboy on this one, rent is climbing back up again mirroring the ridiculous times of the 90's. It's best to have a job lined up or at least make some contacts before coming here. It's not 1970 anymore. You will be hardpressed to even find a sofa to sleep on as most are already taken. I'm half joking, a good NYC friend of mine slept on my sofabed thinking he'd find a job right way. It took him 6 months and he's a very capable engineer. Keep the enthusiasm for you move, but explore job options first.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 PM

605 posts, read 866,673 times
More power to you! I'm 37, and couldn't move into an apartment, because I didn't "want to be alone". Sad I know LOL so I moved home.
10 days back and I went on Craig's List, that's where you'll find your apartment/roommates, etc. You can definately find something for under $1200--I did last night. I'd room with you, but don't even know you.
I'm thinking the same thing: finishing school in So Cal, then doing grad school back up North.

Some great hotels up there: Marin County/Mill Valley>>>The Mill Valley Inn, and The Aqua Hotel on the 101.

Does Southern California interest you? The colleges?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default Get a list of ...

So ... you want to move to SF without a job ... (wait ... I'll stop laughing in a minute ...)

I have a few suggestions for you then:

1. Get a list of all the homeless shelters ... you'll need them
2. While there, get a list of the free food shelters
3. If you aren't gay now, then perhaps you will consider becoming a male prostitute
4. Get a list of the community health clinics. (Yes, the SF County Public Health System is already over-run ... but like the above suggestion ... you'll need it...)
5. Develop a "better than thou" attitude (even though you have no visable reason to feel as such) to defend yourself against all the silent hostility you'll encounter because ... YOU DON'T HAVE A SIX FIGURE INCOME ... or a job

Catch my drift. This ain't the 60's and SF is no longer a liberal paradise. Well ... in a way it is... it's a weird kind of liberalism. Like today's conservatism, it's really ... "all about me." Get OUT of my way ...

have fun!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Rent in SF went up %12 in the past year. The average rent in SF is $2250. I recommend you have something lined up before just coming out here.
Yes average rent, that probably is the average of everything including houses, 5 bedroom apartments, etc.. According the rent-sf.com which takes real data from online listings (tens of thousands of them), median price for a studio for online listings over the last year is $1250 in San Francisco. Some parts like the western and southern parts of the city (Excelsior/Sunset) average studios under $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland