Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The renderings are ugly. They can do so much better than that! Why does the region need housing? Why is this even necessary? I thought people were leaving CA, not that it was gaining population. Feel free to enlighten me, I seem to be out of the loop. This looks more like a WorkFare project for construction workers.
Have you seen rental and housing costs in the area? There is still A LOT of demand for housing and it's pricey. CA and the Bay Area are still growing and there isn't enough supply in many parts, especially here.

Yeah people are leaving CA but births and immigration more than make up for that loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Dude you're turning into HSW.
Hardly. For starters, my view of Shallow Alto is ... meh! ....

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Have you seen rental and housing costs in the area? There is still A LOT of demand for housing and it's pricey. CA and the Bay Area are still growing and there isn't enough supply in many parts, especially here.

Yeah people are leaving CA but births and immigration more than make up for that loss.
It's great for all who own that we are seeing peak pricing, and will see it for maybe another 5 - 10 years. However, long term (20 - 30 years) - watch out.

Births among native born are well below replacement. Births among immigrants are barely at replacement. And immigration itself has slowed overall, and immigration from more disadvantaged areas has plummeted or even reversed. All those Web X.0 jobs are taken mostly by brats from the NE US and the odd local stand outs.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's great for all who own that we are seeing peak pricing, and will see it for maybe another 5 - 10 years. However, long term (20 - 30 years) - watch out.

Births among native born are well below replacement. Births among immigrants are barely at replacement. And immigration itself has slowed overall, and immigration from more disadvantaged areas has plummeted or even reversed. All those Web X.0 jobs are taken mostly by brats from the NE US and the odd local stand outs.
Well RIGHT NOW rental costs are ridiculous in this area and there is clearly a need for more housing. I am currently looking for a new place to move to and can't believe how expensive places like PH and Concord are. For being so far away from SF in the middle of suburbia it amazes me.

Anything that helps relieve rental and housing costs that is done right I'm all for. This is near amenities and transit so I can't think of too many better locations than this. I love living near a BART station. I live across from PH Bart but this location is even better because there are more amenities within walking distance.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Good luck. The SF Bay Area has been anti-development for the greater part of 3 decades. It's not going to get better until you get rid of a huge demographic who favors anti-development policies.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Good luck. The SF Bay Area has been anti-development for the greater part of 3 decades. It's not going to get better until you get rid of a huge demographic who favors anti-development policies.
Well while I agree it needs more development I am thankful it doesn't bulldoze and sprawl over every piece of available land like the Los Angeles area. It's nice having open space and undeveloped hills.

I prefer infill development like this too. It's next transit and amenities and not using any undeveloped land.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I found a rendering....sorry folks but imo this is wayyyyy too big for that area. Love the design tho.

Heller Manus: Portfolio: Lafayette Town Center
That project is completed. It is tastefully built compared to all the condos going up in Walnut Creek and other Bay Area Suburbs. It is designed to have an older aesthetic.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

More the Northeast than Socal?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
That project is completed. It is tastefully built compared to all the condos going up in Walnut Creek and other Bay Area Suburbs. It is designed to have an older aesthetic.
I was reminded this week on another thread of the thread created some months ago by a woman buying a condo in WC, who asked what people do to provide heat and cooling in their condos. She said the loan officer at the bank told her they can't make a loan for a unit that doesn't have heat, and she was asking us how to solve the problem, so she could qualify for the loan. IOW, some of those condos are being built without any climate control at all, which I assume is in violation of building code. I find that alarming. It sounds like a scam. Shouldn't those buildings be reported?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Part of me thinks their making a lot out of nothing. Theater Plaza in Orinda seems bigger than what they proposing at the Lafayette BART station but I digress. Just because you could theoretically build a high density transit village development at a BART station doesnt necessarily mean its a good idea. People should be able to not have it if they dont want it.

Barnidge: Quaint, little Lafayette is bracing for some big changes - Inside Bay Area

On the other hand, I do sort of wish that Lafayette might maintain its character. I travel through to the Happy Valley are quite a bit and really love its charm and rural feel. Happy Valley Rd comes into town precisely where the BART station is...interesting to see how the real the fears over increased traffic are..I know it can already be heavy now.
The real problem there is the crappy circulation pattern between Hwy 24, BART and downtown. It is a traffic engineering "what not to do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland