U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 AM
 
Location: East Bay
177 posts, read 235,820 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

This may seem an odd question. But since I moved to Oakland in 2011. I notice there seems to be no earthworms! Back in Iowa. When it rained. They would be all over the side walks. But I have not seen a single one since I moved here. And am curious if anyone else has observed this? Is it just in Oakland? Or is it the entire bay area? Note I am talking wild earth worms. Not those raised on farms etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 AM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,943 posts, read 5,385,373 times
Reputation: 4096
I don't see them in San Francisco, but I do see giant snails when it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
11,527 posts, read 1,696,566 times
Reputation: 22831
I live in San Francisco, and I have seen some earthworms in my back yard. Maybe because of the Bay Area's geology some parts of the region don't have the kind of soil they like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,165 posts, read 4,654,568 times
Reputation: 2943
Plenty of earthworms out in Lamorinda. I actually dig them out of the ground since they're in such abundance and then put them in my vegetable beds. I don't really see them coming out onto sidewalks so much. Perhaps they just crawl deeper to avoid drowning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,808,275 times
Reputation: 590
Oakland didn't have many when I lived in Rockridge.

I have a few acres of land now and I see them all over the place, and I'm not THAT far from Oakland. I'm not sure why it seems like Oakland is devoid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
 
404 posts, read 440,869 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
This may seem an odd question. But since I moved to Oakland in 2011. I notice there seems to be no earthworms! Back in Iowa. When it rained. They would be all over the side walks. But I have not seen a single one since I moved here. And am curious if anyone else has observed this? Is it just in Oakland? Or is it the entire bay area? Note I am talking wild earth worms. Not those raised on farms etc.
Up at Ft Miley VA Hospital in San Francisco I would see them there every time it would rain; they were some huge ones as well, almost like miniature snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: SW MO Aux Arcs
19,340 posts, read 16,734,302 times
Reputation: 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Oakland didn't have many when I lived in Rockridge.

I have a few acres of land now and I see them all over the place, and I'm not THAT far from Oakland. I'm not sure why it seems like Oakland is devoid of them.
Must be fear of those gangs you see around every corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
33,841 posts, read 19,675,787 times
Reputation: 23741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't see them in San Francisco, but I do see giant snails when it rains.
hm... I never thought about this, but I guess there aren't earthworms in Berkeley, either. Instead, we have snails and slugs. And salamanders and garden snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,808,275 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hm... I never thought about this, but I guess there aren't earthworms in Berkeley, either. Instead, we have snails and slugs. And salamanders and garden snakes.
I see the worms in Berkeley on the sidewalk. I go to breakfast sometimes on a place on Telegraph and Dwight, and they are all over the sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
33,841 posts, read 19,675,787 times
Reputation: 23741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I see the worms in Berkeley on the sidewalk. I go to breakfast sometimes on a place on Telegraph and Dwight, and they are all over the sidewalks.
Maybe there are micro-environments in Berkeley. Or they're more active after a rain... Thinking back to being a kid digging in the garden, I don't remember worms. I remember collecting salamanders and snakes, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top