Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,578 times

Advertisements

Looking for some help on getting a better understanding to the SF/Oakland/Berkley area! I just accepted a position working for the A's. I'm relocating from the east coast and have no clue what to expect or where to live. Any help is appreciated!

Want to rent either studio or 1 BR
Budget: 800-1200
I would like to have access to nightlife since I don't really know anyone out there
Safety is definitely important, though i understand it is a city and everywhere you need street smarts, i'd just prefer not to have to worry about constantly being mugged after dark or people selling drugs on my doorstep
I plan on having a car for transportation, so parking would need to be accessible.
No more than 25 miles from the Coliseum preferably

What neighborhoods might be a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Rockridge, the Piedmont Ave area, the Temescal, and Lake Merritt in Oakland. 800-1200 is doable in those areas but would mean a competitive roommate search in SF. In Berkeley you might get a studio, I'd mainly look at areas near downtown, and you might find a decent studio in N. Berkeley. Albany and Alameda would also be good to look at.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Rockridge, the Piedmont Ave area, the Temescal, and Lake Merritt in Oakland. 800-1200 is doable in those areas but would mean a competitive roommate search in SF. In Berkeley you might get a studio, I'd mainly look at areas near downtown, and you might find a decent studio in N. Berkeley. Albany and Alameda would also be good to look at.
Agree with these recommendations. There are some cheaper apartments around University in Berkeley, but the Oakland areas will also mostly meet your needs. Rockridge would be a bit harder to find a place at that price point.

I'd add Cleveland Heights too (it is around the Lake).

Oakland has some night life, and it keeps getting better. Berkeley has some too. Places in North and Central Oakland also have very easy access to SF.

Alameda and Albany are nice but family oriented, they might be too sleepy for you. El Cerrito is cheap and also pretty sleepy.

I live near Piedmont Ave, and have lived here a while. Good neighborhood, close to everything and fairly cheap.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I had a studio in Rockridge for $850 but I got it in 2010, I'm sure the price has gone up by now. The main problem with Rockridge is that it's mainly houses so there aren't many apartments on the market, which probably drives up prices. It's a really great neighborhood though if you can get a place there. If you want nightlife then you'll have to make a trek somewhere else, depends on what you want though. If you want trendy nightclubs, those are pretty much only in SF. If you want neighborhood bars, Oakland has a good mix. Berkeley has some busy places like Jupiter which is a brewpub and pizza place with a big patio out back where they have live music, it's pretty much always packed with college students and grad students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland