U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM

458 posts, read 370,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahabali1 View Post
Thank you guys, you all are awesome! Here are some questions for you :-)

So East Palo Alto is out of question. How about Menlo Park or Palo Alto itself? Someone at my office (I joined today itself) told me its about 20 minutes from Menlo Park and 35 minutes from Mountain View. How are these places, namely, Palo Alto, Menlo Park and Mountain View?

Again, living in Newark and Fremont is something I want to avoid mainly because the suburban culture here. And, being an Indian myself - so it should not be racist :-), I see too many of Indians around this area - the day I came to my hotel I saw a traditional wedding parade passing by right in front of hotel - which is something I have never seen anywhere else in the USA.

I want to meet people from different cultures and nationalities.

You may easily break your 1500 budget in Palo Alto, Menlo Park, or Mountain View. I doubt there are any bad areas in those suburbs. Palo Alto is still very white. Menlo Park and Mountain View are more diverse but still chock full of engineers.

You're not working in a very culturally interesting area (Newark/Fremont) with lots of fun things to do on weekends. And if you go too far for more vibrant locales, then your commute will be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,011,155 times
If you're not looking to be in a predominantly Indian area, Fremont is not the place for you. It has a very large Indian population. Fremont is not diverse if that's what you're looking for. The population is predominantly Indian and Chinese.
Somebody recommended downtown San Jose and I agree that may be a good location based on what you're looking for.

As far as Palo Alto, Mountain View and Menlo Park go, they are all nice cities (overall, Palo Alto being the nicest), but they are all very expensive rental markets.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM

1,562 posts, read 4,223,593 times
There is a large concentration of Filipinos, also, although not a many as in Union City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Fremont is not diverse if that's what you're looking for. The population is predominantly Indian and Chinese.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM

5,068 posts, read 4,185,320 times
Yep, Downtown San Jose is pretty diverse and very underrated, in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM

2,249 posts, read 772,166 times
I'm surprised it took until post #13 for someone to mention Union City. Since you don't want to live in Newark or Fremont that is the third city in the 'Tri-City' area. Although the peninsula is a nice area to live you will have to pay $5 to use the bridge unless you take 237 around the bottom of the bay but that is just a huge waste of time. The 880 commute going South is worse during the morning than going North. But the afternoon commute sucks South and North in the evening. But heed the advice of others and stay out of East Palo Alto. Downtown San Jose is on the cusp of your travel time and any amount of traffic will cut into it even further. I would say look at Union City, Downtown San Jose, Milpitas, or Newark itself, I know you want to avoid it but it is much more culturally diverse than Fremont despite being an enclave of Fremont.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,680 times
So I visited a few apartments in Menlo Park (around Coleman Av), I was really disappointed by the apartments over there given the price they were asking. The apartments themselves looked like ghettos, on top of it the price they were asking ranged from $11650-$1800. The very first feeling I got as soon as I stepped in these apartments was that they are unsafe neighbourhoods. The flats (units), though decent sized had no dishwasher in them, and at such high price I was expecting washer-dryer in the unit. Contrast it to the apartments I saw in Union City which were spacious, well-ventilated, had washer-dryers/microwave/dishwasher in the unit and were literally across the street from BART station.
What is so much price difference? How much should I expect to pay in Menlo Park for a decent apartment complex which are safe, I don't expect the units to have washer-dryer etc but at least not ghettos.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM

5,068 posts, read 4,185,320 times
Most rents on the Penninsula (with some exceptions) will be higher than on the east side of the bay (Union City).

Quote:
So I visited a few apartments in Menlo Park (around Coleman Av), I was really disappointed by the apartments over there given the price they were asking. The apartments themselves looked like ghettos, on top of it the price they were asking ranged from $11650-$1800. The very first feeling I got as soon as I stepped in these apartments was that they are unsafe neighbourhoods. The flats (units), though decent sized had no dishwasher in them, and at such high price I was expecting washer-dryer in the unit. Contrast it to the apartments I saw in Union City which were spacious, well-ventilated, had washer-dryers/microwave/dishwasher in the unit and were literally across the street from BART station.
What is so much price difference? How much should I expect to pay in Menlo Park for a decent apartment complex which are safe, I don't expect the units to have washer-dryer etc but at least not ghettos.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
Quote:
Menlo Park is one of the most expensive cities to live in in one of the most expensive parts of the US. I'm surprised you're finding places for less than $2000 there, and not surprised they're dumpy. Most apartments in the Bay Area are small and old and dumpy, and rarely have modern stuff like in-unit washer/dryers or dishwashers. Lots of middle class and even upper middle class people live in buildings where they have to use a coin-op washer/dryer in the basement. Newer buildings will be more likely to have that stuff, but it will drive up the price a lot.

That said, your money will definitely go further in the East Bay, and put newer buildings more in your reach. If a newer unit with a dishwasher and washer/dryer are priorities for you, definitely look at the East Bay. San Mateo County and Santa Clara County are both very expensive by comparison, there's a higher concentration of tech workers and tech companies in those counties which means higher rents.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,680 times
Thank you guys for all you help! I have signed up the lease at Avalon in Union City, primarily because of its proximity to BART, shopping, grocery stores and shuttle service to my office. It is a bit expensive and there were reports of car vandalism some time back, but hopefully things are fine now.
I would like to invite you guys for house party once I get settled in my new apartment

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,586,535 times
I was going to third/fourth Union City too, but you beat me to it. I wouldn't have recommended Menlo Park/Palo Alto because they're way more expensive, unnecessarily add commute time, and IMO not really more thrilling than Fremont/Newark/Union City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland