U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 3,404,847 times
Reputation: 617

Advertisements

I already made a comment on it.

When Oakland has to recover from a natural disaster that nearly destroys the city, let me know, then I'll make a valid comparison.

It actually poorly reflects on Oakland that a city that was nearly destroyed and is still recovering from nearly being wiped out has a much lower violent crime rate than a city (Oakland) that is simply destroying itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 3,404,847 times
Reputation: 617
I'm not sure what you mean by "nice try" as if it's some "gotcha moment" for you. New Orleans that went through Katrina has more murders, but Oakland still has more violent crime, and still a comparable murder rate even though the city didn't have to go through a natural disaster like Katrina.

I think both cities have crime problems in their own ways, just like Detroit, Camden, and Baltimore. Oakland is part of that group of super high crime cities.

Does that make you happy for Oakland?

This is unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I already made a comment on it.

When Oakland has to recover from a natural disaster that nearly destroys the city, let me know, then I'll make a valid comparison.

It actually poorly reflects on Oakland that a city that was nearly destroyed and is still recovering from nearly being wiped out has a much lower violent crime rate than a city (Oakland) that is simply destroying itself.
wow, what spin! Still can't admit your "much larger than Oakland by a 100k" was wrong! Shocking!

And I have yet to see you address Nola's higher current and past murder rates! It had a higher murder rate pre-Katrina too! So your point about Katrina is completely pointless. Yes it's unreal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
 
Location: East Bay Area
1,994 posts, read 3,149,325 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
wow, what spin! Still can't admit your "much larger than Oakland by a 100k" was wrong! Shocking!

And I have yet to see you address Nola's higher current and past murder rates! It had a higher murder rate pre-Katrina too! So your point about Katrina is completely pointless. Yes it's unreal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: US
17,930 posts, read 17,846,344 times
Reputation: 13933
See the excuses I'm talking about... if New Orleans had a lower murder rate, they'd be comparing Oakland to Johannesburg, South Africa as a way to justify Oakland has no crime problem.

New Orleans does have a higher murder rate, but in practically every other category, robbery, rape etc, Oakland is much worse and almost double when you consider all crimes combined.

The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is a problem lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: East Bay, CA
4,872 posts, read 6,292,901 times
Reputation: 4302
Who is making excuses in this thread? Nobody in this thread is pleased with Oakland's violent crime.

The only excuse I see being made is for New Orleans. Katrina happened almost a decade ago and yet some how it's OK that they have double the murder rate of Oakland?

Do you people see how absurdly anti-Oakland some of you are being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,646,832 times
Reputation: 1101
oakland is held to a different standard by specific unnamed posters on this forum.

to actually complain that oakland residents are in DENIAL about crime because they are going about their lives AND THEN TRYING TO BRING UP NEW ORLEANS AS AN EXAMPLE IS ABSURD.

not only are you accepting of new orleans homicide rate but you ignore that new orleans is one of the HIGHEST RANKED TOURIST DESTINATIONS IN THE COUNTRY .

is it denial that new orleans a city with an exremely high homicide rate is a highly ranked tourist spot with grandmas and college students flocking to the city?

maybe the answer is simple : the crime is localized to a specific parts of the city that are not near the dining and entertainment venues making it a nice place to go out in. oops that sounds like oakland so that can be acceptable in NO but not oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM
 
Location: US
17,930 posts, read 17,846,344 times
Reputation: 13933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Who is making excuses in this thread? Nobody in this thread is pleased with Oakland's violent crime.

The only excuse I see being made is for New Orleans. Katrina happened almost a decade ago and yet some how it's OK that they have double the murder rate of Oakland?

Do you people see how absurdly anti-Oakland some of you are being?
We both know who is making excuses for Oakland's absurdly high crime rate and trends. I can only speak for myself and I don't think I'm absurdly anti-Oakland. I even said that Oakland has the potential to be a great city if it would get serious about its issues, namely crime. However, when you have a bunch of members that think Oakland is Disney World, then it tends to push me and I think others to focus mostly on the negatives to balance it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: US
17,930 posts, read 17,846,344 times
Reputation: 13933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oakland is held to a different standard by specific unnamed posters on this forum.

to actually complain that oakland residents are in DENIAL about crime because they are going about their lives AND THEN TRYING TO BRING UP NEW ORLEANS AS AN EXAMPLE IS ABSURD.

not only are you accepting of new orleans homicide rate but you ignore that new orleans is one of the HIGHEST RANKED TOURIST DESTINATIONS IN THE COUNTRY .

is it denial that new orleans a city with an exremely high homicide rate is a highly ranked tourist spot with grandmas and college students flocking to the city?

maybe the answer is simple : the crime is localized to a specific parts of the city that are not near the dining and entertainment venues making it a nice place to go out in. oops that sounds like oakland so that can be acceptable in NO but not oakland.
This isn't the New Orleans forum. If New Orleans was across the bridge, I would say the same thing. These cities make up the worst crime in America along with others such as Detroit and it should be viewed as the number one issue that needs to be solved (on a local level), instead of being pushed under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 3,404,847 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
New orleans had nearly 400 murders per year before katrina .
No it didn't. Why are you purposefully being misleading and lying?

Murders (New Orleans 1999 - 2010)
158
204
213
258
274
264 - Katrina
162
179
174
175

I also find it funny that you have to compare Oakland to a city 2,000 miles away just to say "Hey, at least we're not as bad as New Orleans in the deep south!"

Oakland is located in one of the wealthiest areas in the entire country! Imagine if New Orleans had the raw economic capital that Oakland should have access to, but no it doesn't because it's in the deep south. Oakland has so many more advantages geographically, and economically, yet is unable to take advantage of them. 30% of all VC capital flows through the SF Bay Area, and yet none of it gets to Oakland. Why?

This is a ridiculous comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top