U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times

Advertisements

We've been saying this for yearrrrrrs.

Quote:
Oakland: A Tale of Two Cities
by Randy Shaw‚ Dec. 04‚ 2012

Oakland, California has become a tale of two cities. It has a burgeoning restaurant and club scene, with its historic warehouse district, Jack London Square, Uptown and Temescal joining long thriving commercial districts in Rockridge, Chinatown and Lake Merritt. It has the activism, energy, and spending power of young people priced out of San Francisco, as evidenced by the early success of Occupy Oakland and the thousands flocking to the first Friday night Art Murmurs. Yet Oakland has also had 115 homicides in 2012. Its major crimes have risen 23% in the past year, and its police department is so dysfunctional that this crime wave has been accompanied by a 44% decline in arrests. Oakland is plagued by poor mayoral leadership, and lacks enough revenue to maintain quality services. Can Oakland turn this situation around in 2013? ...

BeyondChron: San Francisco's Alternative Online Daily News » Oakland: A Tale of Two Cities
PS The Fruitvale area is also a thriving commercial district yet these hipster/fru fru/johnny-come-lately articles always seem to omit the area from their list of areas that are vibrant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,790,731 times
A well balanced, and written article.

I especially agreed with this part:

Quote:
It seems no matter how disturbing the murders in Oakland get---and the November 25 killings of two teenage girls is pretty disturbing---little consistent attention is paid to the ongoing mayhem. The two girls were shot the same weekend of two other killings. People have either become anastestizied to Oakland’s mayhem or feel powerless to change it-
"little consistent attention is paid to the ongoing mayhem" is how I feel about Oakland's response to its crime. Two girls get shot 36 times, and it stays on the TV or Radio for a day, and the next day people are talking about Oakland's new club scene in Uptown. It's sickening. It's like the citizens accept that this horrible crime happened, but hey, "At least it wasn't me! Time to have some fun at the club baby!" If that's not dysfunction, I don't know what is.

I personally don't think Oakland will "turn it around", at least not for the next few decades, which puts that timeline in the realm of irrelevancy for most of us. Even then, there's nothing to prevent Oakland from taking another "Detroit" type spiral into economic bedrock, and one day in history class they will speak of Oakland in the same way they do about Stockton, "Social engineering never works!"

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM

17,321 posts, read 12,243,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We've been saying this for yearrrrrrs.

PS The Fruitvale area is also a thriving commercial district yet these hipster/fru fru/johnny-come-lately articles always seem to omit the area from their list of areas that are vibrant.
As well as the Laurel and the Dimond. Not hipster enough. Or even Montclair.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
like the citizens accept that this horrible crime happened, but hey, "At least it wasn't me! Time to have some fun at the club baby!"
We also go to the great new restaurants too.

Borgo Italia in Old Oakland is one of the newest that just opened. I went there. Its excellent!

I have never read any explanation by Oakland detractors as to why exactly we should refrain from eating out and enjoying the numerous new entertainment venues that now dot Downtown and Uptown and many other areas in town, just because there is crime occurring in other parts of town as well?

What I do glean is a tinge of dissapointment from haters that we actually enjoy ourselves. LOL

Quote:
Even then, there's nothing to prevent Oakland from taking another "Detroit" type spiral into economic bedrock, and one day in history class they will speak of Oakland in the same way they do about Stockton, "Social engineering never works!"
When other cities have social issues and crime issues, they are just that--but when Oakland has social issues and crime issues suddenly its 'social engineering'? LMAO.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
As well as the Laurel and the Dimond. Not hipster enough. Or even Montclair.
Yes I totally agree. Montclair constantly being ignored by these kinds of articles is very interesting.

I think its because these newbies can't take credit for gentrifying it. Same goes for Rockridge, it was already chic.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Look I'm not trying to start some long winded tit-for-tat petty debate, all I'm bringing up is that the article had some good points. In regards to social engineering, Stockton gets plenty of criticism for what it has done to the city and its fiscal situation, so it's not just Oakland. It can't be denied that Oakland has made some bone head moves both politically, and economically, some of which the article points out.

For instance:
Quote:
1. The city of Piedmont, an adjacent largely white and affluent enclave that robs Oakland of millions of property tax dollars each year. Piedmont allows people living in what should be Oakland to have their own school system and avoid low-income residents.

2. Emeryville’s massive shopping centers bring millions in annual sales tax revenue. Corporations have turned Emeryville into a retail bonanza right on Oakland’s border, with Oakland getting none of the benefits.

3. The mismanaged Port of Oakland also diverts millions of dollars from the city, while removing vast real estate from direct democratic control by city government.

4. For decades Oakland relied on federal funding to supplement its economy, and federal cutbacks over the past decade have really hurt the city.
#2 is obvious. Oakland has been on Federal Welfare for decades. Many of the grants and programs that supported seniors, homeless, and other disadvantaged came directly from Uncle Sam's wallet. Now that the wallet is empty, Oakland has closed up those programs and left thousands of people without any life line. 50% of Alameda Counties entire homeless population lives on Oakland's streets. Again, poor social engineering and management.

I've brought up the Port of Oakland NUMEROUS times (#3). If Oakland had taken advantage of the GOLDEN opportunity they were given by the Navy, they could have turned it into something special. Gotten rid of the port entirely, and added a real attractive commercial area on the WATER. Maybe do enough to inject some economic vitality into the area. But because of West Oakland's "anti-development" attitude, and the cities desire to keep things the way they are, they completely dropped the ball on the Port issues, and left potentially hundreds of millions of dollars left sitting the on the table. That's idiocy at its finest. Do you think Oakland could use some of that money now? I bet you the laid off OPD officers think so.

So yeah, as someone who actually dedicates a portion of their weekend twice a month to help homeless in Oakland, I think it's pretty narcissistic and dysfunctional for people to brag about a new "night club" opening up in Uptown, when these problems exist in the city. Let's focus on fixing the problems, not ignoring them. People's lives are literally in the balance.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
Thanks for this article, i cant wait to move over to oak, i love the korean plaza. Its a shame this thread is going to go south and addressing it is prohibited.
I'm not sure what's keeping you from addressing anything. AFAIK, as long as you don't make post about someone else personally, or throw personal insults out there, you can debate or address any point you want. This article has LOTS of points to address.

In fact, I implore you to address the issues brought up in the article. This is what a forum is all about.

I just find it funny with all the great issues the article brings up (over 90% of it was about many of the social and political problems Oakland is going through), people would rather talk about new nightclubs in Uptown, and the great places to eat. Really? Only a week away from a tragedy where two teenage girls were shot 36 freaking times on the streets of Oakland? You gotta be kidding me.

If you want a thread where nothing negative is ever said about Oakland, start a thread called "Oakland's Cheerleader Thread, only nice things about the city!", then by all means, that's an option too.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
#2 is obvious. Oakland has been on Federal Welfare for decades. Many of the grants and programs that supported seniors, homeless, and other disadvantaged came directly from Uncle Sam's wallet. Now that the wallet is empty, Oakland has closed up those programs and left thousands of people without any life line. 50% of Alameda Counties entire homeless population lives on Oakland's streets. Again, poor social engineering and management.
^This is clearly another example of you holding Oakland to a stricter standard as every city in the state in Oakland's population range relies on federal spending for the exact same purposes.

And Oakland is technically wealthier by many metrics than every other city in the state of CA in the 300,000-500,000 population range, even having lower poverty rates than many of them as well.

So why do you continue to single out Oakland as relying on the government when every large city does, many far more so than Oakland does????????

Quote:
So yeah, as someone who actually dedicates a portion of their weekend twice a month to help homeless in Oakland
The most hilarious part about this is that you assume that Oaklanders who enjoy restaurants and nightclubs in their city therefore are NOT also concerned about crime and also they do nothing to help the homeless?????

What a strange conclusion to draw.

Quote:
I think it's pretty narcissistic and dysfunctional for people to brag about a new "night club" opening up in Uptown, when these problems exist in the city.
Of course this is your opinion. Your SoCal sensibilities are offended by the fact that Oakland is very different from areas in SoCal you consider ghetto.

Quote:
Let's focus on fixing the problems, not ignoring them. People's lives are literally in the balance.
Hahahahahaha....Thank you for the PSA, but I will most certainly continue enjoying the numerous new restaurant and cultural offerings that exist in Oakland, and I will do so unapologetically.

LOL

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM

mod cut I am a member of many communities on the internet. One of them is a community about saxophones. I've played the saxophone for decades, yes, I've even played it in Oakland in front of people. I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands. One of the perks of being old and uncool.

Second, you haven't addressed a single point from the article. All of my post have been ABOUT THE ARTICLE posted. Who is derailing the thread again?

I challenge you to actually address the article, and engage in healthy debate and discourse. I double dare you to actually read it and give your thoughts on it.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM

As far as holding Oakland to another standard, that's completely false. I mentioned Stockton as a city with the same type of social engineering issues that Oakland has. In Stockton's case it was about their school systems and zoning (do more research into it if you're interested). But this thread is about Oakland and it's problems.

Poverty, homelessness, and crime are huge problems in Oakland. Yes, Oakland might be better than Detroit in those metrics, but that's like saying 20 day spoiled meat is worse than 10 day old spoiled meat. Does it really make a difference?

Like I said, I double dare you guys to actually read and address the article and the point the author makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland