Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM

323 posts, read 697,262 times

Advertisements

Lately my Oakland Friday night Pizza rituals have included Red Boy and Cybelles. Satisfies this ex NYers itch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Boot and Shoe and Zachary's. Also Pizzaiolo is really great.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Boot and Shoe and Zachary's. Also Pizzaiolo is really great.
I like Zachary's, too, when I'm in Berkeley. I noticed a Little Star on Solano last time I was over there, though. So, I stopped in for some deep dish pie, chicken wings and a Racer 5. Tough to declare my Solano Ave. favorite, now...

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 AM

102 posts, read 170,087 times
Round Table and Pizza My Heart, used to love Cybelle's but haven't had it in years.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Arinelli's is my favorite pizza anywhere! A friend of mine from New York said its as close as he could find out here.
I'm gonna have to try Arinelli's. No offense to the starter of this thread, BUT, NY does have the best pizza in the world, period. IF you have to search far and wide throughout the Bay Area to find pizza as good as NY's, most likely, you haven't had NY's best pizza. I lived in SF/Walnut Creek for 7 years, and my pizza discoveries ranged from awful (Round Table Pizza ? WTF is that ?) to terrible (California Pizza Kitchen ? ugh), to passable. There were a few passable pizzerias that I found in SF and Walnut Creek, but believe me, nothing comes close to NY pizza. Some of them are so good, you feel like you died and went to heaven lol. You can literally walk into some hole in the wall in Brooklyn, some no named joint, and it'll be the best slice you've ever had. Every time I came back to NY for a visit, I hit every pizza joint I could.

I used to think New Jersey had the worst pizza, until I moved to the Bay Area, Jersey pizza is yummy compared to the Bay Area's offerings. And if you're ever on the East Coast, Philly has some ridiculously good pizza, and Connecticut has some legendary pizzerias. New Jersey, you have to really search. No offense to the people in the Bay Area, it's just the way it is. NY has the best Pizza, but on the other side of the coin, NY has THE WORST MEXICAN FOOD I've EVER tasted. AND, San Francisco has my favorite China Town, not only is the nicest I've seen, I feel the Bay Area has the best Chinese Food I've had, NY is close, but SF is better.

It's like Dirty Harry used to say "You have to know your limitations", Bay Area wins for Chinese Food and Mexican Food over NY, But NY rules over SF when it comes to Pizza and overall Italian Food.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
It's like Dirty Harry used to say "You have to know your limitations", Bay Area wins for Chinese Food and Mexican Food over NY, But NY rules over SF when it comes to Pizza and overall Italian Food.
Strange because the oldest Italian restaurant in the county was located in SF... Fior d'Italia

Fior d'Italia, San Francisco - America's Oldest Italian Restaurant

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Deep dish at Paxtis is my numero uno by a longshot. Well maybe not a longshot as I had deep dish at Blue Line and it was very good. Both however are 25 minute drives for me. But i understand Livermore is getting a Paxtis so I can't wait.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 AM

6 posts, read 11,443 times
Quote:
No offense to the starter of this thread, BUT, NY does have the best pizza in the world, period ... believe me, nothing comes close to NY pizza. Some of them are so good, you feel like you died and went to heaven lol. You can literally walk into some hole in the wall in Brooklyn, some no named joint, and it'll be the best slice you've ever had.
My man, you are so right. Queens Pizza on Court St!

Some places out here have the smell of NY and some have good crusts and some the sauce, but very few put it all together. Paisanos in Castro Valley was pretty close--it had everything but the right chew, the right feel in your mouth--but his brother's place in SF was nowhere close.

And what's this business somebody here said about coal-fired ovens in NY? Coal-fired? Yuppie bling!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Strange because the oldest Italian restaurant in the county was located in SF... Fior d'Italia

Fior d'Italia, San Francisco - America's Oldest Italian Restaurant
Oldest doesn't mean it's the best. I will have to check it out just because of the history.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Oldest doesn't mean it's the best. I will have to check it out just because of the history.
True... they had to be doing something right for a long time.

The last time I went was with out of town company... they really enjoyed the service and food... one of the group had his own conversation in Italian with our waiter... imagine... someone speaking fluent Italian working at an Italian restaurant.

Some of my friends said it was no longer as good... the place is going through some changes right now from what I hear and will not be open till 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland