Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 AM

137 posts, read 522,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
Just from my experience the people are very nice in NYC and more open than those in SF. I have NEVER ran into a rude person in NYC but have ran into countless rude people in SF and SF is much smaller and a slower paced city. People don't flat out ignore me in NYC, but it happens often here in SF.
tkindred, that is SO TRUE, at least from my own experience. I am a foreigner who have lived in different parts of U.S. I have been to SF twice - the first time I fell in love with it - I thought that place was a lovely HEAVEN! The second time - I was actually thinking about relocating to there, and I just came back from it and I too ran into countless rude people, both white and non-white. They think they are relaxed and liberal -- sadly from my experience, I think they are actually judgmental and rude (at least they were rude to me). Southern and Eastern folks can be judgmental too, but they are courteous and keep it to themselves, while some SF folks had to open their big mouths and hurt you verbally. That was the first time I actually miss NY/NJ!

Of course I am sure there are tons of nice people in SF, but I am only speaking from my own experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:34 AM

31 posts, read 122,820 times
I lived in SF for 2 years, and I really didnt see any "culture" in San Francisco to speak of or that is very interesting. All of the museums are terrible. There is no theater outside of the ballet and opera, a 2 or 3 playhouses. There is no fine arts or fashion scene, no film, the movie theaters are terrible, the night clubs are awful, the people dress like slobs. The dining scene is good, but limited because the whole city is into organic and local so pretty much every restaurant has the same menu, which gets boring quick. The city also lacks diversity that NYC and LA have. After living in LA and NYC, I was completely underwhelmed with San francisco. It is a rundown, dirty city filled with homeless , criminals, and kooky politics that really dont apply to the average citizen. Unfortunately, we are stuck in the bay area due to career. And the suburbs are even more "hickish" than the city.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
I love NYC but would probably prefer living in SF because of the scenic beauty, more laid-back attitude, and proximity to amazing wine regions, beaches, redwoods, skiing, etc. Also, I'm no fan of summer humidity or winter snow and ice, so I'd stay away from NYC for that reason.

If you're going to be in Sunnyvale, of course, then you're really looking at suburban living, not city living. And if you plan to live in suburban NYC, like NJ for example, then I'd hands-down go to California, because the suburbs back East are nothing special, and the weather in Sunnyvale is among the best in the country (and much, much better than SF itself).

Old 08-10-2008, 12:35 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
I'm reading everyone's posts about New Yorkers being really nice. I'll have to agree with that! People are super cool and friendly in NYC, and SFers are often angry, closed-minded people with a chip on their shoulders. And the arts scene, while good, is not NYC. So I can see people preferring NYC for many reasons too. But I CAN'T for the life of me see anyone preferring LA. LA is the ugliest, most congested, most solitary place I've ever seen. I live in San Diego part time and even people here hate LA and love SF.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
Being from NY my entire life...all 57 years of it maybe I can simplify why NY people are they way they are.
I've lived in Berkeley for several months years ago. My daughter and her husband live right in SF and have been there for years.
I've also lived in Virginia years ago among some true hill people.
I also frequent the Western North Carolina City Data Forum being we're considering a move to the hills near Asheville, NC.
What I notice a real lot about the true southerners...especially from what I read in City Data posts is that they have their feelings hurt wayyyyyyyyy too easily and I really don't get that. They also act as though they own North Carolina which I also don't get.
I read several posts that said that they knew if NY'ers were made fun of they'd be hurt too. Well guess what? NOT!!!! We're made fun of ALL THE TIME! Especially our alledged accents...lol. As in New Yawkers...Lawng Islanders...yada yada...and we won't even go into Brooklyneese.

Thing is.. NY has always been so diverse that we "get the joke". We can let things slide off our backs even if they're not jokes. I think basically NY'ers are more well rounded. Probably b/c we're used to seeing so much diversity not just from people all over this country but from all around the world. We sorta don't sweat the small stuff. I think we're a bit more "street" for lack of a better word.
Also...people are people where ever you're from...the good, bad, and ugly.

I just have a problem when I have to watch every single thing I say like I have to in the Western North Carolina threads. I know I can get along with ANYONE but I just hate when I always have to be on my guard. I'm afraid when I think someone might put a burning cross on my lawn when
I'm asleep b/c they didn't like what I had to say.
I do think the south IS becoming more relaxed but it's still living in the Cival War days in a lot of places.
Far as SF goes...I used to hate when I always heard the expression "West Is Best". Geezzzz....like who really cares? Can't we ALL just get along and knock down the walls?
Be well
andy

Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM

12 posts, read 36,772 times
I'm contemplating a move to SF, have visited numerous times over the years. Although I love NYC where I live for the variety and being used to seeing people around, it's becoming more and more yuppie and less interesting. It is very safe now. I don't think the city of SF is as safe, especially at night. If you like the burbs, then the bay area is indeed a nice place to live. If you prefer the city life, NYC wins. Outdoor activities are much more accessible in SF and the year round weather is better. I think the food in SF is great, particularly the asian food.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierbaudy View Post
I'm contemplating a move to SF, have visited numerous times over the years. Although I love NYC where I live for the variety and being used to seeing people around, it's becoming more and more yuppie and less interesting. It is very safe now. I don't think the city of SF is as safe, especially at night. If you like the burbs, then the bay area is indeed a nice place to live. If you prefer the city life, NYC wins. Outdoor activities are much more accessible in SF and the year round weather is better. I think the food in SF is great, particularly the asian food.
You're exactly right. SF is very slow compared to NYC. Actually, SF is dead compared to NYC. SF's year round weather is hard to beat. But the same weather gets boring.

Have no clue where you're getting the yuppie business about NYC. NYC is not at all like you describe. It's the international gateway to the world and the diversity of all the different kinds of people overpower anything like you describe.

I'm sure each city is great in its own way. Excitement and a urban wonderland, crowds, traffic, and too many things to see equals NYC. If you like mild weather, slow pace, nice and even slower suburbs, and not much fast paced excitement, then SF is the place.

I think I've said this before. Why are we even comparing SF to NYC. They are so different! Please compare NYC to Tokyo, Seoul, or something like that. Even then, Tokyo or Seoul isn't the international gateway to the world.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 53,898 times
San Francisco is sloooooooowwwwwwwwww in comparison to NYC . The burbs of NYC are much faster pace than the cityof SF IMO

nice weather tho............

Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 53,898 times
the NYC art scene moved to brooklyn. The city is like disneyland now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm reading everyone's posts about New Yorkers being really nice. I'll have to agree with that! People are super cool and friendly in NYC, and SFers are often angry, closed-minded people with a chip on their shoulders. And the arts scene, while good, is not NYC. So I can see people preferring NYC for many reasons too. But I CAN'T for the life of me see anyone preferring LA. LA is the ugliest, most congested, most solitary place I've ever seen. I live in San Diego part time and even people here hate LA and love SF.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM

153 posts, read 567,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrozombies2 View Post
the NYC art scene moved to brooklyn. The city is like disneyland now.
Hmm, Brooklyn is New York City, so don't get what you are saying. It is the most populated of the boroughs. I lived there for a little while. It was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland