U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM

103 posts, read 247,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Hasn't SF always considered itself to be a "little sister" to NYC?

Portland, OR, always tries to follow it's bigger sister, Seattle. People here would gang up on me for this comment, but that's been apparent to me in the 30 years I've lived here. And I hate it. Seattle may be a lot bigger in SIZE and offer more of everything, but whenever I've had to go there I couldn't wait to leave. It always looks gloomy.

I think SF is fantastic; it simply isn't an easy choice for those who aren't "elitists" or have money. Neither city is known for great weather. SF has an ultra-liberal, if not whacky, political climate ~ don't know about NYC.

I'll find out about NYC when I visit for the first time this coming fall.
I love our San Francisco elites....giggle first came the miners then came the prostitutes. This is the foundation of our local elites. ) I love it. Regards Ripley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

7,768 posts, read 7,533,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag View Post
I love our San Francisco elites....giggle first came the miners then came the prostitutes. This is the foundation of our local elites. ) I love it. Regards Ripley
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

By the way, Seattle AND Portland have their underground history with shanghai'ing!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM

103 posts, read 247,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

By the way, Seattle AND Portland have their underground history with shanghai'ing!
Well....that's one way to get a crew Captain. Aye!!!!! From the Barbary Coast. Ms. Ripley

Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM

367 posts, read 899,047 times
I have a couple of cousins in their early 20's that visited NYC from SF just recently. After they experienced NYC this summer for the first time and returned to SF, they were both depressed. Depressed about living in SF. They were blown away by the pace and things to do in NYC.

I talked to them recently and they are starting to recover from depression. But everytime I talk to them they keep whewing about NYC.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,526,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I have a couple of cousins in their early 20's that visited NYC from SF just recently. After they experienced NYC this summer for the first time and returned to SF, they were both depressed. Depressed about living in SF. They were blown away by the pace and things to do in NYC.

I talked to them recently and they are starting to recover from depression. But everytime I talk to them they keep whewing about NYC.
Wow – checking my activity box – I thought this tread died a year ago (lol).

My two-cents after visiting both places (I’m in the Tri-State area).

A huge factor that seems to be that people will compare the “greater” San Francisco area to just Manhattan or New York City. 30 minutes outside of NYC there are.... golden beaches with crashing surf, skiing 3 months a year, mountains, suburbs, leafy streets, rural areas, wine vineyards, historic cities…in short, anything you can find in the Greater Bay area is in the NYC area.

However, the greater Bay area is still one of the top 10 or 5 most influentual cites in North America. While not obviously in the class of NYC (nowhere in the USA is), it is unfair to put SF Bay area in the category of Denver, Baltimore, San Diego, or Dallas. San Francisco is a world wide business city, while those cities are not.

As far as the weather…CA folks seem to hype the 90 days of winter in the Tri-state area to a ridiculous level. While it’s colder in the NYC area in the 3 or 4 winter months, with occasional snow….the rest of the year the NYC area has much better weather with a “real “ summer season. The long hot, humid days in the 80, and 90’s give the people in the NYC area much more of a chance to enjoy things like the beach, swimming, and boating. Of course, the Atlantic is far warmer around NYC than the Pacific is off SF. Although I’m sure anyone moving to SF is not a huge beach lover

I copied the mean monthly temps for NYC and San Francisco areas from the National Weather Service. The mean temps are the high and low averaged together. For instance a mean of 57 F….. has a daily high of 67 F…and a nighttime low of 47 F.

Summers are hotter in NYC, withers are warmer in SF. In fact, if you exclude the winter and summers…the temps of both places are not so far apart. I guess it’s a trade off of summer heat or winter cold.

```````````````````````
SF --- NYC
JAN 49 --- 31
FEB 51 - 32
MAR 53 - 42
APR 54 - 52
MAY 56 - 63
JUN 59 - 71
JUL 59 - 76
AUG 61 - 75
SEP 61 - 67
OCT 58 - 57
NOV 55 - 47
DEC 50 - 37

I traveled all over the USA – and San Fransisco is the only place I’ ever saw people where jackets in July (lol).

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM

332 posts, read 455,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
the rest of the year the NYC area has much better weather with a “real “ summer season. The long hot, humid days in the 80, and 90’s give the people in the NYC area much more of a chance to enjoy things like the beach, swimming, and boating.
What it really does is give you the opportunity to arrive to work drenched in sweat. With the career demands of NYC, most people are probably gonna get out to the beach or on the water only once or twice a year.

I wish the Bay Area had a real winter, but I've always loathed summer heat.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM

367 posts, read 899,047 times
If you want a taste of winter durring summer, go to SF and you will get a taste of it. It can be cold during the summer months. However, you could drive 30 or 40 miles inland towards the east and it will be in the 80's or even 90's. In fact today at 5pm Pacific time, it was 60 in SF, 63 in Oakland, 83 in San Jose, and 90 in Tracy. That tells how the winds off the bay affect temps.

If you're a beach person who's looking for mild water temps and comfortable swimming weather then the Bay area with all of its water is definitely not a place for you. However, there a lot of people who surf there, but in a wet suit.

NYC though cannot be touched when it comes to excitment, pace, and fun. Sorry, but SF is country and sleep compared to NYC. When you get off the freeway in SF, everything is slow and dead. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
What it really does is give you the opportunity to arrive to work drenched in sweat. With the career demands of NYC, most people are probably gonna get out to the beach or on the water only once or twice a year.

I wish the Bay Area had a real winter, but I've always loathed summer heat.
I've spent several days this summer, in my oven of a row house in hot, humid Philadelphia, drenched in sweat a half hour after my morning shower, just from walking around the house in summer clothes!

I grew up in western Michigan (better beaches than either coast, in my opinion), lived in Chicago 5 years, Philly for 11, and in a month will be relocating to the Bay area. It may sound weird, but one thing I am looking forward to the most is the weather. I can't wait to sleep at night without having to lay in bed sweating!

And the one thing I am most afraid of is people's reaction to my east coast "attitude" and my sarcastic sense of humor. I don't even like the east coast attitude, but if you live here, it helps to develop it! I hear that the attitude doesn't get you very far in the Bay area, and I've heard also from more than a few people that generally speaking I will find people more sensitive to sarcasm than here on the east coast. How do I handle these things, if true? :-)

Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 PM

153 posts, read 406,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It doesn't really make sense to compare the two beyond mere "street scene" aesthetics. NYC is huge. It's a capital of media and finance. Manhattan alone has twice as many people as San Francisco, a city whose biggest industry is tourism. NYC dwarfs SF in transit ridership, something which SF actually prides itself upon. Subways run all night and so do bars. That's not really the case in SF. I get the feeling that NYC is more a functioning city that brings the show while SF is more of a showy city that attempts the functionality.
Very well said. Agree totally.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM

153 posts, read 406,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
People from the SF area think the world evolves around them. That's because they've never been to NYC. Once they see NYC in person they will all shut up.

SF is dead compared to NYC. I can't believe that we're wasting the time to compare SF with NYC!

Just the city itself is well over 8 million - and NYC's metro is over 20 million. SF is something like 700 thousand, and its metro is a little over 7 million - that's including Sacramento - which is way out in the boonies.

According to the Census Bureau in metro population, NYC of course is number 1. SF is number 6 in the country. (List of the 100 biggest metro areas in the US, and their growth rates)

Top 10 according to the Census Bureau:

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA - 21,976,224 - 21,361,797 +2.88%

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA - 17,775,984 - 16,373,645 +8.56%

3. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA - 9,725,317 - 9,312,255 +4.44%

4. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA - 8,211,213 - 7,572,647 +8.43%

5. Boston-Worcester-Providence-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA - 7,465,634 - 7,298,695 +2.29%

6. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA - 7,228,948 - 7,092,596 +1.92%

7. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA - 6,382,714 - 6,207,223 +2.83%

8. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA - 6,359,758 - 5,487,956 +15.89%

9. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA - 5,641,077 - 4,815,122 +17.15%

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA - 5,478,667 - 4,548,344 +20.45%

With that said, how can anyone compare SF to NYC. It's a joke. No comparison!
I agree. No comparison and people in SF do believe they are the center of the universe. People in NY don't try to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland