Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times

Advertisements

Welcome, CirclingLogan. I was really surprised by all the activity in Logan Circle when I visited a few years back, I hadn't heard of it in advance.

Your statistics are very good. You probably slightly overstate the chance of victimization, since some people get victimized more than once.

AC Transit for sure has numerous faults. But there is more frequent bus service than 15 minutes with the Rapids on San Pablo (72R) and Telegraph and International (1R), the 51A bus on Broadway up to Rockridge, and line 40 up Foothill Blvd. in East Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 23,701 times
Circling Logan, thanks so much for this post. I'm about to move from DC to the Bay Area, so getting some perspective from someone who has done the same move is really helpful.

I was originally planning to move to Berkeley, but after spending some time apartment hunting there, I decided I didn't really like Berkeley, at least not for this stage of my life (I'm 30 and single). Way too suburban in some areas, and way too collegey in others. I'm now considering Oakland and have been focusing in on the Piedmont Ave area. Judging from what you've written, I'm feeling more confident that I'll feel comfortable and happy there.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceylynn1 View Post
Circling Logan, thanks so much for this post. I'm about to move from DC to the Bay Area, so getting some perspective from someone who has done the same move is really helpful.

I was originally planning to move to Berkeley, but after spending some time apartment hunting there, I decided I didn't really like Berkeley, at least not for this stage of my life (I'm 30 and single). Way too suburban in some areas, and way too collegey in others. I'm now considering Oakland and have been focusing in on the Piedmont Ave area. Judging from what you've written, I'm feeling more confident that I'll feel comfortable and happy there.
Piedmont Ave area is great.

This is where I live. Safe, convenient, and a good mix of ages too. Great neighborhood.

Don't forget to check out the Rose Garden. One of Oakland's best kept secrets.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Welcome, CirclingLogan. I was really surprised by all the activity in Logan Circle when I visited a few years back, I hadn't heard of it in advance.

Your statistics are very good. You probably slightly overstate the chance of victimization, since some people get victimized more than once.

AC Transit for sure has numerous faults. But there is more frequent bus service than 15 minutes with the Rapids on San Pablo (72R) and Telegraph and International (1R), the 51A bus on Broadway up to Rockridge, and line 40 up Foothill Blvd. in East Oakland.
The 51A is one of the bus lines that convinced me how suburban AC Transit's mindset is, it doesn't run enough. The 1/1R is one route that is just about frequent enough to be appropriate for a city of Oakland's size.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM

337 posts, read 733,340 times
Thank you for the report. It is good to get the opinions of somebody who recently moved here from far away. I am glad you like living in Oakland.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Great post, OP! I'm originally from south Berkeley/north Oakland, and I didn't know all that stuff about Oakland!

To put AC Transit in perspective: I lived in Seattle for too long. The bus schedules there are never more frequent than every 20 minutes. Many lines are every 1/2 hour, 1 hr. on evenings and weekends. Furthermore, the bus drivers in Seattle desperately need "sensitivity" training. I could go on a whole rant about r@cist bus drivers. Some of the AC bus drivers are amazing! It really pays off to have a well-integrated staff. Boy, the things people take for granted, until suddenly those things are gone! Count your blessings, people.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
CirclingLogan - Thanks for the great post, that was very positive. I have to find a place to live in about a year or less, I just discovered this website and have only read about two cities so far. A friend of mine moved to Oakland this summer and he has really enjoyed it, I plan to visit him sometime in 2013. I have been to San Fran a couple of times but never spent time in Oakland, I look forward to the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland