Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,838 times

Advertisements

Amazing. Glad to hear he's recovering well.

For my own medical curiosity, do you know if he was given oral acyclovir and prednisone? If so, how soon/period of time?

p.s - Just to keep this on topic. The Raiders have sucked the city dry and haven't delivered the tourism dollars promised. Better to get rid of them and hire back those cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Ummmm -- the one who's husband had Bells -- yes -- my husband was given Valtrex, but no prednisone. The thinking was it might help, very probably not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. We made the decision to try it.

It didn't help. He was also given some facial exercises and told to massage his face. Helped at the beginning.

This is one of those odd ball syndromes that does what it wants. I'm not kidding about it -- one night he went to bed with half his face somewhat paralyzed after several months and the next morning he woke up and it was nearly gone. After being told by the doctor that after this long this was probably all the better it would be.

And to keep it on topic -- Raiders suck.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
To be honest and truthful...

Oakland isn't the only city that's had to fire police officers because of payments to sports teams. I believe Cincinnati and Jacksonville have done the same thing.

The Raiders were brought back to Oakland on the promise that the Raiders would get a new stadium. 18 years later, they play in one of the oldest/worst stadiums in the league. As I've read the terms of the agreement from 1995, it was a bad deal for all involved.

Personally, I think Oakland should allow the Raiders to walk and focus on making the necessary improvements to keep the A's.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,053 times
^The stadium is not a city of Cincinnati thing, it's the county. And the city never laid off Police or fire.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 AM

181 posts, read 319,324 times
For all the money the city spent to bring back the Raiders in '95, and all the money it has spent since then to maintain the Raiders, it would have been a lot smarter to just build a football stadium in either the North or South lots of the Coliseum, renovate the pre-Mt. Davis Coliseum and make it more baseball friendly, and demand the teams sign leases that were reflective of the money spent.

I've said time and time again that if Oakland were a business it would have ceased to exist a long time ago. Plain and simply, this city has been ran by people who never even remotely had its best interest in mind. The city/county poured over $200 million into the Coliseum renovation back in '95, but allowed the A's & Raiders to skirt by with measly 18 year leases, and the Warriors only a 20 year lease, which is one of the reasons why the city of Oakland may be on the brink of losing ALL THREE of its professional sports teams. The Warriors are ready to sign a 50 year lease with the City of SF for their proposed new arena, which if Oakland was smart about its business, would have required the Warriors to do back in '97.

Instead, we have an inadequate stadium to match an inadequate police force, which seems to continue the spiral of the city downward. What a shame because Oakland has all the potential in the world.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
For all the money the city spent to bring back the Raiders in '95, and all the money it has spent since then to maintain the Raiders, it would have been a lot smarter to just build a football stadium in either the North or South lots of the Coliseum, renovate the pre-Mt. Davis Coliseum and make it more baseball friendly, and demand the teams sign leases that were reflective of the money spent.

I've said time and time again that if Oakland were a business it would have ceased to exist a long time ago. Plain and simply, this city has been ran by people who never even remotely had its best interest in mind. The city/county poured over $200 million into the Coliseum renovation back in '95, but allowed the A's & Raiders to skirt by with measly 18 year leases, and the Warriors only a 20 year lease, which is one of the reasons why the city of Oakland may be on the brink of losing ALL THREE of its professional sports teams. The Warriors are ready to sign a 50 year lease with the City of SF for their proposed new arena, which if Oakland was smart about its business, would have required the Warriors to do back in '97.

Instead, we have an inadequate stadium to match an inadequate police force, which seems to continue the spiral of the city downward. What a shame because Oakland has all the potential in the world.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:

The A's would've never signed a long-term lease on the Coliseum after it was destroyed for baseball. Agree the incompetents like Mary King and DLF who treated the A's (Oakland's ONLY loyal sports team) like the battered wife who would never leave are the reason this San Jose saga has dragged on as long as it has.
I don't think the Warriors would've signed a longer deal either...even the incompetent Cohen would've eventually set his sights outside of a 1960s arena.
Oakland has all the potential in the world? Agree, and all signs point to it fulfilling that potential. Plenty of cities thrive despite its politicians. Matter of fact, that probably applies to every city

Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 AM

181 posts, read 319,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The A's would've never signed a long-term lease on the Coliseum after it was destroyed for baseball. Agree the incompetents like Mary King and DLF who treated the A's (Oakland's ONLY loyal sports team) like the battered wife who would never leave are the reason this San Jose saga has dragged on as long as it has.
I don't think the Warriors would've signed a longer deal either...even the incompetent Cohen would've eventually set his sights outside of a 1960s arena.
Oakland has all the potential in the world? Agree, and all signs point to it fulfilling that potential. Plenty of cities thrive despite its politicians. Matter of fact, that probably applies to every city
That "1960s arena" in reality is an arena that is internally four years younger than HP Pavillion in San Jose, and only two years older than Staples Center. The only things not replaced in the 1997 renovation were the exterior and the roof. I definitely don't argue that the Warriors should have signed a 50 year lease then, but I think something a little more substantial (like maybe 25-35 years) would have justified spending $121 million on basically building them a new arena.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That "1960s arena" in reality is an arena that is internally four years younger than HP Pavillion in San Jose, and only two years older than Staples Center. The only things not replaced in the 1997 renovation were the exterior and the roof. I definitely don't argue that the Warriors should have signed a 50 year lease then, but I think something a little more substantial (like maybe 25-35 years) would have justified spending $121 million on basically building them a new arena.
Exactly. The renovation cost were enormous, and the city LOST the team.

Unreal, really. A very bone headed move by the city of Oakland.

Let's not even talk about the Raider's deal. It's all sickening.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM

587 posts, read 1,410,458 times
"So just peep the game and don't call it crap/cause to me life is one hard rap/even though my sister smoked crack cocaine/she was nine months pregnant ain't nothing changed/600 million on a football team and her baby died just like a dope-fiend"

~ Oakland's own Too $hort circa 1990 "The Ghetto"

Too Short
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland