Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,876 times

Advertisements

Okay, having not been there, but based on everything I've read here ... Input from friends, realtors and the relocation folks, I think I have finally narrowed down our search area for a rental home.

What we're looking for: 2200 sf plus - budget of $3000 - (max) $3500 per month ... Single family home.

Cites on the list:

San Ramon
Danville
Alamo
Walnut Creek
Clayton
Layafette
Pleasant Hill
Concord

And we're still open to other areas that are safe and close to a BART station. No kids, so schools aren't an issue.

So, the questions is .... Of these cities, are there areas to avoid .... Or strong reasons not to look in one of them?

Thanks bunches! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 AM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
All of the cities you've listed are nice, middle to upper middle class, with relatively low crime rates. The only city on your list that is just *slightly* less desirable than the rest is Concord, simply because it has more apartments than the other cities - and hence the people that live in apartments. The only strong reason to avoid Concord in a home search would be its less-than-stellar schools, but since that's not an issue I'd say your list is great.

Happy house hunting

Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Look at a map...Danville, San Ramon, Alamo and Clayton don't have BART stations, which means a potentially long drive to get to BART and then a longish BART ride on top of that.

Also see what is in your range in Castro Valley maybe.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Look at a map...Danville, San Ramon, Alamo and Clayton don't have BART stations, which means a potentially long drive to get to BART and then a longish BART ride on top of that.

Also see what is in your range in Castro Valley maybe.
Mayor, and please excuse me if you or others have told me ... But what cities are in the Castro Valley?

I'm now adding Livermore to the list and will be calling on a house there tomorrow. It sounds like a neat area. I have a question about the BART station there, but I'll start a new post for that.

Thanks! Jules

Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Castro Valley is an unincorporated place with 60,000 residents. It has a BART station.

Castro Valley, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no BART station in Livermore, I guess they'll maybe build one in the future but there isn't one right now. I wouldn't move there expecting there to be BART access in the near future. So it has the same problem as Clayton, San Ramon, Danville and Alamo--it's sort of near towns with BART systems but far enough away that it would add quite a bit to your overall commute.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Castro Valley is an unincorporated place with 60,000 residents. It has a BART station.

Castro Valley, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no BART station in Livermore, I guess they'll maybe build one in the future but there isn't one right now. I wouldn't move there expecting there to be BART access in the near future. So it has the same problem as Clayton, San Ramon, Danville and Alamo--it's sort of near towns with BART systems but far enough away that it would add quite a bit to your overall commute.
I showed PK the info on Livermore and that area sounds perfect for us. We are originally from KY, so living amongst horses and wineries sounds yummy. Plus, I found a fantastic house within walking distance to their downtown area. He understands he'll have a little drive to the Pleasanton BART station.

Thanks for the link ... I'm off to read!

HUGz! Jules

Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
I showed PK the info on Livermore and that area sounds perfect for us. We are originally from KY, so living amongst horses and wineries sounds yummy. Plus, I found a fantastic house within walking distance to their downtown area. He understands he'll have a little drive to the Pleasanton BART station.

Thanks for the link ... I'm off to read!

HUGz! Jules
Livermore is nice, and it's come a long way from where it was several years ago. You won't be actually living among horses and wineries however, but you can get to wineries easily enough and horses might be available somewhere. I haven't seen any in ages but I'm sure someone would know where to go for that. I think you would like it there!

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Livermore is nice, and it's come a long way from where it was several years ago. You won't be actually living among horses and wineries however, but you can get to wineries easily enough and horses might be available somewhere. I haven't seen any in ages but I'm sure someone would know where to go for that. I think you would like it there!
By among ... I mean within a short drive. However, I wouldn't mind having a horse ... Or a chicken or two ... And a box of wine! Oh, the good life!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
box of wine??? Sacralidge I say! JK

Livermore is really up an coming esp if you don't have to worry about the kids. It does get a bit warm there.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
box of wine??? Sacralidge I say! JK

Livermore is really up an coming esp if you don't have to worry about the kids. It does get a bit warm there.
ROFL .... Hubby wouldn't drink wine out of a box if you paid him! Brat! I'm an old fan of a good bottle of Boones Farm or Annie Green Springs! I'm a cheap drunk!

The landlord of the house in Livermore emailed tonight, so I hope we get to see it Saturday. That area sounds so appealing to both of us. We go to Temecula occasionally and love the idea of living near wineries.

Merry Christmas! Jules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland