U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM

38 posts, read 51,026 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending SFSU, and residing in an old relative's house in El Cerrito, but I've never been there.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM

13,267 posts, read 11,574,473 times
It's a nice suburb close enough to Berkeley & Oakland, but the traffic on 80 to SF, especially during rush hour, can be horrific. Better you utilize one of their two BART stations.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 PM

21,902 posts, read 20,923,531 times
That's going to be an awful commute by car or public transportation.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks to you both!
I checked the commute by car and it said around 30 minutes "in current traffic" at about 3pm today. Would it usually take about this long? I'm not too concerned about the driving conditions themselves as long as I can rely on a reasonable commute time (I would consider 30 minutes reasonable).
If Google maps is accurate in estimating over an hour for this commute by public transport (I'm assuming this estimate includes a "BART" station?), then I agree the public transport option would probably be awful for me (too long!).

Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,631,440 times
Today was exceptionally light traffic, one of the lightest days of the year. I was in it and marveling at it. Under normal conditions, not a huge traffic jam, normal conditions, El Cerrito-SF State would be a good hour. It would probably be similar on transit, you'd need to take BART and Muni Metro (light rail). I think transit would be preferable, given all the potential traffic problems you could run into,

It might be worth it if you've got a rent free/low rent situation in El Cerrito, but otherwise I'd look for something on the west (San Francisco) side of the Bay.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 AM

it will be over an hour for both car and public transportation 75% of the time.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,534,233 times
I commuted by BART from El Cerrito Del Norte to Embarcadero at rush hour for about six months. That alone was about 30 minutes each way.I'd estimate closer to an hour to SFSU. The nice thing about riding in on BART from so far up the line is, there is always a seat available in the morning. The drawback is the big crush of people in the evenings, especially after they stop running the Richmond-Millbrae line (around 7pm) and you have to catch a Pittsburg train and transfer. They are typically crowded in the evening.

Driving is much worse at peak times. Off-peak it took about the same as BART. Remember, the bridge is between $4-$6 in-bound, depending upon the time you cross.

That said, El Cerrito is pretty nice. It's on the edge of some weirdness up in Richmond and a few bits are a little sketchy, but overall, it seems like a really good place. It's a bit under-served by retail and restaurants, but Albany, Berkeley and areas north of El Cerrito have a lot to offer.

The farther you are up the hill, the nicer it is, but the harder it is to go without a car. A cab ride to the top of the hill from the BART station is about $10 with tip and the bus service isn't that frequent. Portrero and Moeser are the two main ways up the hill and they are among the steepest, most imposing hills in the area. So, a car is pretty much a necessity if you live very far up the hill, even if you take public transportation.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:11 AM

Thanks to you all again! Very helpful for me in making a decision.

Quote:
It might be worth it if you've got a rent free/low rent situation in El Cerrito, but otherwise I'd look for something on the west (San Francisco) side of the Bay.
This is actually the case. Given current finances, I'm kind of dependent on this low rent El Cerrito option, being that I still have to take into account overall cost of living difference (which I'm to understand is quite substantial... I currently live in metro-Detroit).

Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 AM

the real difference is in rent: food, gas etc will be pretty much the same. if rent is free, then you should try it out to begin with.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 20,732 times
Personally, I hate el Cerrito and ca t wait to move. Ugly, expensive, boring, high crime, foggy and cold, zero amenities or decent businesses or restaurants. But that's just me; I used to live in Berkeley and loved it. Some people seem to love el Cerrito. The farther east and south the nicer. North or west less nice. But why not just come try it out for free and move if you don't like it? Car commute to SFSU is out of the question; Bart will be about 1:15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland