Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Then, you should admit it's terribly misleading to post that photo of DEO in that article.

And yes, I'm dismissing him. In case you didn't read about his political aspirations within Oakland and his obvious soap box, he's not a credible or typical agent of news.

If he's that fearful while living in Rockridge, Piedmont, Montclair, or wherever else he may be living, maybe something more rural is better suited for him. Sunol, Clayton, etc.

And he doesn't live a typical middle class lifestyle everyday. He's an uber high-profile future politician who's choosing a platform on which to speak and sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic.

Yep, that's it. That's the only option in this scenario. You nailed it! <eye roll>
Blame SFist then. It's not like the op-ed piece had that picture in it. I agree, SFist does tend to be terribly misleading. Like most local news blogs, it's far from objective and has no real standards of journalism. Some articles are good, some are not.
Pictures of 30th and Magnolia (you can just click on it and read the street sign). So yeah, pretty unlikely he lives there as I doubt the Oakland Cheer Squad would even consider that part of West Oakland to be middle-class.

Also, defense attys and the like (probation officers, LEO, councilors), basically anyone who works with the scum of society doesn't have a "normal" view. Most of them are paranoid and jaded. It just comes from actually being overexposed to the underbelly of society and dealing with it day in and day out. If you normal "middle-class" people can ignore Oakland's problems by living in upper rock ridge and spending $30 grand a year for each kid to attend a good school, a criminal defense attorney probably can't exist in that bubble. Maybe if they only do financial crimes or something, but it doesn't sound like that's his area of practice. Also criminal defense attorneys rarely make that much money. They usually do it because they are either terrible lawyers and can't do anything else or because they have a calling. There's a small niche of criminal defense attys that do, but for the most part the customer base of a criminal defense atty has no money.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-15-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,678,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
What if this attorney wrote a positive Oakland article? Would it still be biased? Why is his piece being dismissed so fast?
I must read the article first. Do you have one?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,996,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Blame SFist then. It's not like the op-ed piece had that picture in it. I agree, SFist does tend to be terribly misleading. Like most local news blogs, it's far from objective and has no real standards of journalism. Some articles are good, some are not.
Pictures of 30th and Magnolia (you can just click on it and read the street sign). So yeah, pretty unlikely he lives there as I doubt the Oakland Cheer Squad would even consider that part of West Oakland to be middle-class.

Also, defense attys and the like (probation officers, LEO, councilors), basically anyone who works with the scum of society doesn't have a "normal" view. Most of them are paranoid and jaded. It just comes from actually being overexposed to the underbelly of society and dealing with it day in and day out. If you normal "middle-class" people can ignore Oakland's problems by living in upper rock ridge and spending $30 grand a year for each kid to attend a good school, a criminal defense attorney probably can't exist in that bubble. Maybe if they only do financial crimes or something, but it doesn't sound like that's his area of practice. Also criminal defense attorneys rarely make that much money. They usually do it because they are either terrible lawyers and can't do anything else or because they have a calling. There's a small niche of criminal defense attys that do, but for the most part the customer base of a criminal defense atty has no money.
Nice measured post.

But it still goes back to the point, if SFist had posted a picture of a nice house, with a 3 car wide garage, full of Audi's, and BMWs, nothing would have been said.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,766,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
You forgot one:

c) It paints a truthful picture of Oakland middle class living.
you can't say that because you do not no where he lives. if this man lived in forrestland or shepherds canyon and acted this way he would not be rationale.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
you can't say that because you do not no where he lives. if this man lived in forrestland or shepherds canyon and acted this way he would not be rationale.
He said he's had his car stolen!

He's also witnessed robbery at gun point. Unless you're calling him a liar, but then if he had said "Everything is fine in my neighborhood!", you wouldn't be posting anyway. We both know that.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Nice measured post.

But it still goes back to the point, if SFist had posted a picture of a nice house, with a 3 car wide garage, full of Audi's, and BMWs, nothing would have been said.
I would of wondered why he's so scaredey cat.

I of course live within 5 miles of the Fresno Bulldogs territory and am fine over here. /shrug

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Does anyone think the Iraq/Afghanistan Checkpoint model would work in Oakland?

A U.S Marine said they were able to pacify Fallujah, Iraq, one of the worst anti-U.S areas in Iraq in less than a few months using the following tactics.

- Insurgents were rounded up at a collection center to be detained and processed. Whatever material possessions they had on them were stripped.
- Military checkpoints were setup at key junctions in the city. Anyone could be expected to be stopped and have themselves, and automobile searched at random intervals.
- 9:00PM curfew
- Armed patrol during all times of the day and evening.

Anyone think that this would immediately end the crime problem in Oakland? I'm beginning to think it might.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM

361 posts, read 745,854 times
Is this a joke ?

You have to be kidding, right ?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Does anyone think the Iraq/Afghanistan Checkpoint model would work in Oakland?

A U.S Marine said they were able to pacify Fallujah, Iraq, one of the worst anti-U.S areas in Iraq in less than a few months using the following tactics.

- Insurgents were rounded up at a collection center to be detained and processed. Whatever material possessions they had on them were stripped.
- Military checkpoints were setup at key junctions in the city. Anyone could be expected to be stopped and have themselves, and automobile searched at random intervals.
- 9:00PM curfew
- Armed patrol during all times of the day and evening.

Anyone think that this would immediately end the crime problem in Oakland? I'm beginning to think it might.
.................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Doc, please tell me you have done heard of Posse Comitatus.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Pretty sure Lincoln heard of Habeas corpus as well. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland