U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
360 posts, read 347,326 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

The one bus I can remember waiting thirty minutes for is the infrequent-running 18. Service on the 14, 38, 49, 29, 44, 43 and the other lines I regularly ride here is much more frequent. As mayorhaggar points out, buses on the major thoroughfares run every five minutes. And for what it's worth, I last rode a city bus about an hour ago.

Believe me, I'm no admirer of Muni. The buses are often grossly overcrowded and shellacked with graffiti. Muni deserves to be complained about as much as San Franciscans do complain about it. But service frequency isn't that far from what Muni lists online.

Luau, are you doing much of your transit riding here late at night ... say, after 10 p.m.? I'm something of an early bird, and don't have practical experience with transit in the wee hours. That might explain the difference in perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
 
196 posts, read 214,679 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
The one bus I can remember waiting thirty minutes for is the infrequent-running 18. Service on the 14, 38, 49, 29, 44, 43 and the other lines I regularly ride here is much more frequent. As mayorhaggar points out, buses on the major thoroughfares run every five minutes. And for what it's worth, I last rode a city bus about an hour ago.

Believe me, I'm no admirer of Muni. The buses are often grossly overcrowded and shellacked with graffiti. Muni deserves to be complained about as much as San Franciscans do complain about it. But service frequency isn't that far from what Muni lists online.

Luau, are you doing much of your transit riding here late at night ... say, after 10 p.m.? I'm something of an early bird, and don't have practical experience with transit in the wee hours. That might explain the difference in perceptions.
I ride muni multiple times throughout the day, to and from work, to go shopping after work/on the weekends, to the gym at night, etc.

One time one of the trains just completely shut down and they had to replace it with a bus. I hear people complain about muni frequency all the time when I'm at stops like Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,919 posts, read 6,937,896 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
I ride muni multiple times throughout the day, to and from work, to go shopping after work/on the weekends, to the gym at night, etc.

One time one of the trains just completely shut down and they had to replace it with a bus. I hear people complain about muni frequency all the time when I'm at stops like Market.

What are you talking about? Unless you're going to Potrero or Bayview on the 9 then there's 3 different bus lines that run in the same general direction from Market to Turk/McAllister/Hayes as well as a Haight bus (the 71) down the street. There's literally a bus every 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,954 posts, read 5,385,373 times
Reputation: 4102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naupaka808 View Post
Aloha! So my sis and I are planning a trip to SF sometime in Nov. 2013 for about a week. It will be the first trip we take together. She's a single mother and I have no kids so we consider this sister bonding time for us^^ We're in our 30s and on a suggestion from a family member they said we should go and visit in November. What I want to know is: should we rent a car? Any suggestions on great places to visit while there? Ohh and how do we dress? I keep hearing layers but wanted to know what would be the bare necessities as we are Island girls from Hawaii LOL I lived in the Midwest so I kinda am familiar with freak weather change but then again, this isn't the Midwest either. My sis, on the other hand, has always been in Hawaii. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated in helping to make our first trip to San Francisco a memorable one! Thank you very much XD
Stay in Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf and it will actually be easier NOT having a car. You should PACK in layers. November is the end of the "Indian Summer" so it can range from warm to cold. I would ride the cable cars because they pass through a variety of neighborhoods. Check out the different districts such as Union Square, Chinatown, North Beach, Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, Marina, etc. Go to Twin Peaks for a 360 degree view. You should just explore on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
 
196 posts, read 214,679 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What are you talking about? Unless you're going to Potrero or Bayview on the 9 then there's 3 different bus lines that run in the same general direction from Market to Turk/McAllister/Hayes as well as a Haight bus (the 71) down the street. There's literally a bus every 5 minutes.
I swear I ride the bus very often and I'm not the only one complaining about it. I should've mentioned previously that it isn't always a matter of being late, but it will be too full and you'll have to get the next one or the one after that. Once a week, you don't experience a bus shut down and the operator go "this is out of service?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,954 posts, read 5,385,373 times
Reputation: 4102
Why are we debating the efficiency of public transportation on this thread?

I think anyone that has traveled or lived in SF knows waiting 30 to 60 minutes for a bus during normal hours is an exaggeration. If there is a debate to be had it should be whether a tourist should rent a car or use public transportation. I don't even think Luau would recommend a tourist to rent a car vs using public transportation for traveling within SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM
 
Location: South Korea
5,245 posts, read 6,931,070 times
Reputation: 2842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Why are we debating the efficiency of public transportation on this thread?

I think anyone that has traveled or lived in SF knows waiting 30 to 60 minutes for a bus during normal hours is an exaggeration. If there is a debate to be had it should be whether a tourist should rent a car or use public transportation. I don't even think Luau would recommend a tourist to rent a car vs using public transportation for traveling within SF.
Here's what I'd recommend...on the Muni map, avoid using any of the blue bus lines. They often really do run only about every 30 minutes, they're pretty useless. Any of the other lines should be ok and you'll wait anywhere from about 3 to 15 minutes between them during the day and early evening. Muni Metro should be about every 5 to 10 minutes during the day and early evening. And, again, use nextbus.com or google maps to see when the next bus is coming. It's a lot more comfortable waiting for a bus when you know it's either coming soon or you have time to get a snack at a convenience store. Yes, the buses and trains don't run very often after about 10pm. Get a cab late at night, there's less traffic on the street then anyway so it will be a quick trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
I swear I ride the bus very often and I'm not the only one complaining about it.
What the heck line do you take, the 37? You do realize there are other bus and train lines, right? When I had to take Muni I'd always have backup lines to use if Metro had a meltdown, which happened pretty often. I'm sure there's at least one other line nearby you could take if your usual one is flaky. Again, use nextbus.com and figure out which line is best to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
360 posts, read 347,326 times
Reputation: 177
NextBus also offers a means for out-of-town visitors to this forum to verify that buses here run frequently. Here's how:
  • Go to Nextbus.com, look for the 'select your transit system' button at right, and choose San Francisco Muni.
  • A menu will pop up, allowing you to see the impending real time arrivals of all the lines in the Muni system. The 'community service' lines in blue on the system map -- http://transit.511.org/static/provid...3201191042.pdf -- do run less frequently, as mayorhaggar said, although I'm a regular rider on one of the blue routes just the same. But if you select any of the other lines, you'll see intervals between departures that are far, far shorter than every thirty or sixty minutes.
Please give it a try, out-of-towners! You'll see for yourself.

Something like twenty-five percent of San Franciscans live here without a car. They simply couldn't if we had San Fernando Valley bus service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,064 times
Reputation: 10
Been pretty busy with RL stuff and only now I'm playing catch up >< so my apologies. I would love to make it earlier but its the only time I'll be off of break from work (I work as an Educational Assistant in a middle school) and my sis can take off from her job. Also we get free babysitting around that time for her kids XD. Thing is we don't mind catching the bus and walking only thing we need to go visit my aunt in Redding hence the use of getting a car other than that pretty much we don't need it. A big Mahalo for all the responses and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top