Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Here's what my week of meals look like:

M- bad kebabs
Tu- bad sushi
W- decent pizza(pizza hut)
Th- bad salad
F- decent burgers

My friend from NY visited me and said he hasn't eaten such food since he volunteered in Ghana.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you have your meals?

My wife and I have eaten at over 500 restaurants in the area, ranging from hole in the wall places in the Mission and Bayview to high-end places, like Gary Danko, Coi, TFL, etc, and by and large, I think that the food around here is pretty good. Of course you will find places that miss the mark, but those places tend to have short-life spans (unless they are tourist traps located in the right areas).

I agree with you that food delivery options are limited to what I would expect, but there are so many places that are just a short walk away, I don't mind going to pick up an order myself. I also think that the food diversity here doesn't compare with NYC or LA, but for the most part, it's good enough for me.

At any rate, there are too many decent places in the city to be spending your time and money on bad food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM

224 posts, read 454,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
Instead of complaining, why don't you just buy a blender?
good point. I've wanted to get a vitamix for a while but those things are damn expensive.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you have your meals?

My wife and I have eaten at over 500 restaurants in the area, ranging from hole in the wall places in the Mission and Bayview to high-end places, like Gary Danko, Coi, TFL, etc, and by and large, I think that the food around here is pretty good. Of course you will find places that miss the mark, but those places tend to have short-life spans (unless they are tourist traps located in the right areas).

I agree with you that food delivery options are limited to what I would expect, but there are so many places that are just a short walk away, I don't mind going to pick up an order myself. I also think that the food diversity here doesn't compare with NYC or LA, but for the most part, it's good enough for me.

At any rate, there are too many decent places in the city to be spending your time and money on bad food.
From an flat and objective point of view, SF food isn't bad. It has some of the best Chinese food in the United States. If you like traditional Italian, many restaurants in North Beach are also a good choice. And it does offer a diverse set of cuisine: creole, japanese, chinese, american, indian, mexican, russian, korean, and so on compared to other cities like Palo Alto, Sacramento, Portland(OR), Chapel Hill(NC), etc.

Metropolitan cities that SF is most often compared to are Los Angleles, Chicago, and New York. There are other ones like Miami and Boston but I don't see them compared as much. But compared to other metropolitan areas I've lived like Los Angeles and New York, it's bad. Objectively, the only type of food that SF is better than than those areas is Chinese. Those cities have more variety and tastier options. One can argue that these cities are also larger in terms of area, and that it is unfair to compare them. I can agree with this. So SF shouldn't be compared in terms of cuisine to these areas, but it is. So if we're doing this, why don't we cut the "I left my heart in SF" bull**** out and be honest?

As for delivery options, just go to a site like eat24.com or grubhub.com and try to order breakfast or smoothies. The delivery is so bad that they even manage to mess up Chinese food!

Here are some overpriced and terrible restaurants I've been to: Dosa(Indian), Beautifull(sandwiches), El Burrito Express(Mexican, one of the few places outside of Mission you can get Mexican btw), Layaly(Mediterranian), etc.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if SF is on the same level as NY or LA, why can't I walk to restaurant at 1am? Why do restaurant operators go to bed like they're 7 years old?! SF becomes like a ghost town at night, LA and NY don't. Ironically, SF still isn't considered a good place to raise kids.....

I think it's necessary that someone points out the reality of SF rather than the pervading mindset I see on this forum that "SF is the best city in the world", and "Oakland is hell, take a BART ride across the bay to Utopia".

Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post

Here are some overpriced and terrible restaurants I've been to: Dosa(Indian), Beautifull(sandwiches), El Burrito Express(Mexican, one of the few places outside of Mission you can get Mexican btw), Layaly(Mediterranian), etc.
Wait seriously, you only found "one" mexican place outside of the mission? Where exactly did you go? I can easily think of 2 dozen places outside of the mission...............

Quote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again, if SF is on the same level as NY or LA, why can't I walk to restaurant at 1am? Why do restaurant operators go to bed like they're 7 years old?! SF becomes like a ghost town at night, LA and NY don't. Ironically, SF still isn't considered a good place to raise kids.....

I think it's necessary that someone points out the reality of SF rather than the pervading mindset I see on this forum that "SF is the best city in the world", and "Oakland is hell, take a BART ride across the bay to Utopia".
OK so SF doesn't have diverse food because you can't find 1am food? This isn't exactly a logical argument sorry. The Bay Area isn't a "24/7 place." Or even a late night place. Bars close at 2, and there aren't many after hours nightlife options, so late night dining is limited. I have seen anyone claim that isn't true, but your overall assessment looks pretty inaccurate to me.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wait seriously, you only found "one" mexican place outside of the mission? Where exactly did you go? I can easily think of 2 dozen places outside of the mission...............

OK so SF doesn't have diverse food because you can't find 1am food? This isn't exactly a logical argument sorry. The Bay Area isn't a "24/7 place." Or even a late night place. Bars close at 2, and there aren't many after hours nightlife options, so late night dining is limited. I have seen anyone claim that isn't true, but your overall assessment looks pretty inaccurate to me.
I wasn't talking about just diversity in cuisine, my rant was about sf food in general.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Something that I'm always surprised is lost on a lot of transplants is that when locals are talking about the food in the Bay Area they actually mean the whole Bay Area, not SF by itself. The best Mexican, Puerto Rican, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Greek, Soul Food, Ethiopian, etc. in the Bay Area is NOT in SF, period. There's also a lot of stuff in the rest of the Bay Area you can't find in SF, particularly anything West Indian or West African.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
Instead of complaining, why don't you just buy a blender?
Seriously. How lazy do you have to be to not walk to the nearest Jamba Juice, and why would you think anyone would deliver something that costs like $3?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Seriously. How lazy do you have to be to not walk to the nearest Jamba Juice, and why would you think anyone would deliver something that costs like $3?
I can't drink that crap every week, do you know how much sugar is in those drinks? I'm talking quality, organic smoothies made with kale, apples, blueberries, greek yogurt, lowfat milk, that kind of stuff. And I would buy it in bulk. In LA there were restaurants that would deliver all kinds of health food, smoothies, chicken cutlets, steamed organic veggies, acai, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Not to mention having to consume a melted smoothie or shake by the time it reaches your home

Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Not to mention having to consume a melted smoothie or shake by the time it reaches your home
there are appliances called freezers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland