Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 25,398 times

Advertisements

Anyone shop at Nob Hill? Heard it's a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM

224 posts, read 454,632 times
Nob hill is in the same league as Safeway and Lucky.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 25,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Nob hill is in the same league as Safeway and Lucky.
Thanks!

Is it common for people to do most of their shopping at Draegars? (sp)

Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromFL2CA View Post
Thanks!

Is it common for people to do most of their shopping at Draegars? (sp)
It is for those who have lots of money to do so. Great place, but Whole Paycheck prices.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 AM

323 posts, read 697,456 times
Occasionally I go to Oakland's Grocery Outlet. They always have some items that catch my eye. Often organic frozen foods or delicious dairy products and fine steaks can be had. There wine selection cannot be beat anywhere for selection and price.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromFL2CA View Post
Anyone shop at Nob Hill? Heard it's a grocery store.
Nob Hill,Raleys & Belair are all owned by the same company. Nob Hill is better than Safeway & Lucky especially for meat. Nob Hill regularly stocks USDA choice beef. Luckys has a little USDA choice beef but most of it seems to be select grade. Safeway is hopeless with their own branded meat which is not USDA choice.

My favorite grocery stores are

1)Rainbow Grocery in SF -the only place I will miss when I move
2)New Leaf Coop - a great Whole Foods alternative,difficult to get to in Half Moon Bay
3)Lunardis - they have great produce and items no one else carries.
4)Target - limited grocery selection but the same items are much lower priced than Safeway or Lucky
5)Mi Pueblo - I hope they open one closer to SF.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
I'd also vote for the Berkeley Bowl on Heinz Avenue. I wish it was a bit nearer. I tend to only shop there about once a month as its a bit of a trek (but a trek worth making). It also has an attached cafe with really delicious food. The falafel pitas are the best I've ever tasted. No other store comes close for combined quality and value. It's like Whole Foods at a quarter of the price.

I'd cast my second vote for the big Safeway in Alameda which is really nice and clean and has lots of variety of stuff. For some reason nothing like my local Safeway on the corner of College and Broadway in Oakland which always just feels a bit grubby. Their shopping carts (what they have left of them, as most of them were stolen recently) must be about 40 years old. I shop there only as a last resort.

Piedmont Grocery on Piedmont Ave gets my third vote. Really good variety of stuff for a smallish shop, plus lots of imported British grocery. Gets a big plus for me.

I find Trader Joes just doesn't have the variety of stuff I'm after, for feeding a family. They don't even sell plain dried noodles for goodness sake.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Safeway is our local standard, they are headquartered in Pleasanton. Good sale prices, not so good regular prices.

Raley's/Nob Hill is close to Safeway's prices, but better customer service. They will bag your groceries and load your car.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
For some reason nothing like my local Safeway on the corner of College and Broadway in Oakland which always just feels a bit grubby. Their shopping carts (what they have left of them, as most of them were stolen recently) must be about 40 years old. I shop there only as a last resort.
Hey, that's my old Safeway! Yeah it's a bit grubby but it's alright and the people who work there are pretty nice. (except for the sandwich ladies who are always grouchy) It's definitely nicer than the decrepit and tiny Safeway north of the BART station by the Berkeley border. Like I said Safeway can be really hit or miss with their rehabbing efforts.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post

. For some reason nothing like my local Safeway on the corner of College and Broadway in Oakland which always just feels a bit grubby. Their shopping carts (what they have left of them, as most of them were stolen recently) must be about 40 years old. I shop there only as a last resort.

Piedmont Grocery on Piedmont Ave gets my third vote. Really good variety of stuff for a smallish shop, plus lots of imported British grocery. Gets a big plus for me..
The broadway Safeway is due for a rebuild soon. That's why CVS is closing. They have mockups somewhere.

I like Piedmont Grocer too. They are also super friendly there.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland