Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Nothing new to see here folks, just more of the same.

That's a funny comment coming from you. Half the post in this thread are yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
That's a funny comment coming from you. Half the post in this thread are yours.
Not surprised that you dont really address my point. LOL

Like I said,
These articles or the comments in this thread or any other thread brought up by 'concerned outsiders' are NOT genuinely meant to discuss the issue of crime in Oakland. No they are meant to provoke fear and incite rhetorical back and forth spats.

This is nothing more than the usual rehashing of things we've already argued before. Yawns.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
I saw this firsthand yesterday at Safeway:
Jan. 1: Alameda County shoppers have to bring their own shopping bags or prepare to pay - San Jose Mercury News

It was funny seeing people carrying their shopping out with no bags. I have like 5 big canvas bags in my trunk that I've been using for a while now so this change is really not an issue for me.
I now need to a better job at segmenting my bags. Food vs durable goods vs clothing....

But it is a good change, and has been in place in SJ for a while now.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure what's being rehashed. You have three new politicians who could politically have lots of control in the direction Oakland goes in the next few years.

Seeing as how the city just came off a year where violent crime and homicides skyrocketed, I think those who live in the area would like to know what the plan is going to be to curb this crime. I know I do.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
Quote:
Seeing as how the city just came off a year where violent crime and homicides skyrocketed, I think those who live in the area would like to know what the plan is going to be to curb this crime. I know I do.
Sure, and i want to see San Jose's plan. I am concerned how they will curb crime.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what's being rehashed.
That you claim to be 'not sure' is not a surprise in the least. Yawns.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I now need to a better job at segmenting my bags. Food vs durable goods vs clothing....

But it is a good change, and has been in place in SJ for a while now.
Good idea about segmenting....Im bad at that.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Sure, and i want to see San Jose's plan. I am concerned how they will curb crime.
I would suggest Los Angeles.

Los Angeles crime rate down 2 percent in 2012 | abc7.com

Quote:
Los Angeles keeps getting safer. Overall crime in the city fell for a 10th straight year in 2012.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
I wonder why SJ cops have such low morale as of late? At least that's what the news says.

My first uneducated guess is they dislike inter-deparment politics.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Honestly, I dont mind if its 500-1,000 homicides a year if ex-cons and other lawbreakers are killing each other off. Saves us the cost of incarceration and false hope for rehabilitation. In fact, the rest of us really should thank us for containing this problem in our city.

*BOOM*

The main problem with this is the belief that the actual goal of the US prison system is to rehabilitate inmates in the first place. It's not the goal and hasn't been for a long time now. In reality, prison has been monetized to the point where there's now a fiscal incentive to lock people up, and it's not just in the privately owned prisons either... Ever heard of FPI (Federal Prison Industries)? They have people working in factories for Third World wages (23 cents to $1.15 per hour, half of which generally goes to paying court-ordered fines and etc. under the IFRP) doing the kind of manual labor they used to pay the parents of these inmates living wages for four decades ago. These skills don't translate into the regular job market either as next to nothing is manufactured in the US anymore... prison is literally the only job market where corporations can get away with paying Americans the same rates they pay the poorest people in China/India/Thailand.

To see an actual rehabilitory prison system in action look at Norway... the US is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland