U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 14,447 times
Default So how bad are realty company really? and should i really avoid tenderloin?

I was looking to get an apartment in telegraph hill that is run by a company called trinity management services. usually i take 1 and 2 star reviews with a grain of salt, but this company has an overwhelming number of 1 star reviews on yelp mod cut I'm only staying short term, so if the apartment's not that great, I can live with that but I do feel uncomfortable about having potential problems involving money.

I really want to go to this place because the only othner option left for me is a place called cornelia suites which is on 600 (i forget the exact number but it's in the 600s) o'farrell street, which makes it part of tenderloin. now i've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about tenderloin, but being an out of towner and a guy who hasn't lived in a big city in 4 years, I'm probably not going to be as "immune to the ghettoness" as others (sorry, that's the only way i can think of saying it). i'm a dude but yeah, the idea of living there does scare me. and this place is also run by a company, which doesn't have great reviews either, but there are only a few that I found online.

is there anyone out there who's dealt with these kind of companies? i know a few negative ratings aren't enough to judge but 60 1-star reviews? that concerns me...and if anyone has recommendations for short term furnished studios (that are under 3000)...thanks so much

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: No company names, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,656,718 times
You don't need to live in Tenderloin if you are okay with a studio and your max budget is $3,000. Stay away from developers because they always over charge. You should use Craigslist.com

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM

I've been going on craigslist a lot, but it always seems to be that a unit that seems nice is too far from the commute I will be doing (i really want to be in walkable distance). and I should say my max is closer to 2500; 3000 was a bit of an exaggeration. oh and those companies also advertise on craigslist quite often as well

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,423,722 times
Use the temp/sublet section on craigslist if you aren't already. A furnished place will be hard to find, you're basically asking for a hotel.

SF bay area sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM

i guess you're right. if it's not furnished, but it fits my other criteria, I can live with it though.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 9,591 times
Keep in mind some hotels offer long term stays. It's not the most cost effective, but at 100/night that puts you at 3k/mo with no need to do household chores.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM

622 posts, read 376,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperFruit View Post
Keep in mind some hotels offer long term stays. It's not the most cost effective, but at 100/night that puts you at 3k/mo with no need to do household chores.
Yeah. I agree with this. If your budget can swing it, stay in a hotel.

There are also residence hotels run by various companies that might have something for you. There are different budget levels with those too. The Ritz Carlton has one at Kearny and Market but there are hotels like that all long the spectrum.

There are also clubs and alumni groups, if you're a member, of like the Yale Club and others. They have reciprocal agreements. Those clubs always have rooms that people can pay to stay in too.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 AM

15 posts, read 9,635 times
I'm not sure if the management companies are really as bad as the reviews say, but I wouldn't recommend risking it. There's just so much that can go wrong when they have your deposit, and you're relying on them in case of emergency (broken shower, oven, toilet, whatever). I would also seriously recommend avoiding the TL. We considered moving there as you can get a lot more for your money, but after living in SF for the past 2.5 years, and walking through the TL during the day, and occasionally night, I am SO glad I don't live there. It would be hard to ever feel really safe, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland