U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM

2,598 posts, read 1,785,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykndr View Post
So say I have 3 other roommates, all moving with me. How much should each one of us have in savings, before we move?
A decent 2 bedroom apartment will cost about $2-3000 a month. The most a landlord can charge for move in is 3 times the rent. So going on the high side, $9000 to move in, (first, last, deposit), 3 more months rent; $9,000, figuring you all will have jobs in 4 months.
Eating PBJ's, rice, beans and grilled cheese, figure about $600 in food per month.
Not sure what utilities cost in the city. If you are frugal, I'm guessing and average per month based on years use might be about $200 a month. I'm sure someone in the city could provide a more accurate number.
So that is about $32,000, almost 18,000 each.
That is not counting your phone or transportation costs.

Pick a place outside of the city and everything changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,075,047 times
I don't think it would work out if you are getting minimum wage ..... at least you wouldn't have enough money to do anything fun in your time off, and you'd probably have to live on rice and beans. Which is a problem if you have a lot of roommates.

If you can learn how to become a really good, snobby waiter, and land a job in a fancy restaurant, you might have a chance because the tips can add up to a very nice income. Dress well for the interview.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM

2,629 posts, read 1,518,829 times
I'd like to chime back in. I think the reason why so many lack vision in this country, is that the lack of vision is so rewarded in so many places. People move based on where they can immediately achieve a comfortable lifestyle, with no thought of working hard to better themselves, advancing their careers or working to build opportunities for the next generation. They want the easy way out. That's why cities like Houston boom.

People move from a paradise like California to a place like Houston because it's cheap. They're tired of challenging themselves. They're tired of growing. They want to cruise and places like Texas are easy. They will kid themselves and say its political or because they "need" 4000 square feet and three cars, but that's skewed values and laziness talking. That's not the spirit that founded this country.

There was a time when people who wanted a better life ventured into the unknown and worked their butts off to achieve it. There was a community of achievement that grew up around this spirit. People were bound by it and they believed in their ability to make their community better as both individuals and as a collective.

That's where California came from. It still exists in the tech and start-up world of the Bay Area, though it takes a certain kind of vision and immunity to the bull**** of the "ballin', get money" mentality to find it.

It's not easy here, thank goodness. The reward for the struggle is that you get to excuse yourself from the race to the middle, which is a game easily won in places that reward mediocrity or limited vision. The Bay Area is no such place.

This environment is not for everyone. That's the point. People come to SF because they see beyond where they are. They see where they will be one day. The OP should calculate his viability here based on his growth potential, not what he presently earns in a place where that is the end of the line.

That's the essence of the California dream as I understand it, which was the root of the OP's question, I believe.

Edit: I waited until I was 41 years old to join this struggle. I wish I could rewind time and go back to when I was 18 and had all of my formative years ahead of me, to move here and make the most of them. When you're young, missteps don't hurt as much, but it can be harder to get traction and make it happen. It all really comes down to how you deal with risk, how talented you are and whether or not you are willing to fight for your success and advancement. At least it exists here for those with the balls to claim it.

Last edited by dalparadise; 01-26-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland