U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,452 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 18 years old and currently live in Knoxville, TN. I've always liked the idea of San Francisco, and am really interested in moving out there. I currently have a job here as a server at a local restaurant, and I make okay money, not great though because business has slowed a lot within the past 2 years.

I was wondering, if I decided to move out there, would it be possible for me to find a serving job, and be able to live off of that money? Does anyone know what a waiter makes, working 30-40 hours a week, typically?

Or any other job, I would welcome too. Serving is just what came to my mind first. I wanna be able to live without having to worry about paying next months rent, or not being able to buy food/transportation costs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,764,828 times
I think you have things a bit backwards. People don't move to SF to NOT worry about paying for rent and food. They move here to chase a dream and use that persistence of vision to help get them over the hump of the high costs.

Let's say your dream is to work in finance or technology (or the thousands of related industries) or to start your own business, or to go to a world class university (since you're only 18). You would come here and roll up your sleeves to join the struggle, because your dream would be in sight here, more clearly than it would be anywhere else in the country. In time, you'd gain some momentum and it wouldn't be a struggle anymore. Then, you'd start to prosper. It all depends on clarity and determination.

I believe it's harder to survive in cities like SF, LA or NYC because they just aren't built to merely survive. They richly reward innovative thinking and balls-out determination, but also punish the opposite approach. It's not for everyone, but it also is not necessarily only for the very wealthy, as some might have you believe.

People from all walks of life can make it here and find success, but only if they find their focus and work to achieve their dreams. My advice would be to do some soul searching and think about why you'd like to move to SF. Find your passion and figure out if this is the place for it. If it is, lock in on that passion and figure out how to attain it.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM

172 posts, read 169,075 times
If you were able to obtain a job with a popular restaurant that caters to tourists, you should be able to make decent money. Unfortunately, many employers may not want to offer full time employment because they want to avoid having to pay health insurance benefits. San Francisco's minimum wage is $10.24 per hour, and that does not include tips. Go online, look for restaurants in the bay area, call them up to see if they are hiring, and apply. Look on Craigslist for roommates and/or rooms to rent to get an idea of what you will need to earn in order to support yourself. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,124,690 times
San Francisco is a pretty expensive place for rent and gasoline. However, if you live IN the city, public transportation can take you any place you need to go.
If you want to be near the city and not live in it, that's a little easier to accomplish.
At 18, I do hope that you are not planning on doing this by yourself. I grew up in the Bay Area and at 18, I NEVER entered the city at night alone. Not that it's a 'bad' place, but it is a major city after all. Roommates make things more affordable, several colleges and universities are around, so could find some peers to live with perhaps. SF has a higher minimum wage, but statewide it's $8.00.
I know that some states will pay less if you have a job that involves tips, not California. You are guaranteed at least $8/hr no matter what you do.
You could easily work in SF and live in San Bruno (or any other place just south of SF), which I think my have cheaper rent and is not as crammed packed with people. And again, public transportation is really good. One can actually ride the bus from SF to San Jose (and beyond), it takes a while, but the availability is there.
There is a lot outside of the city that can feed a persons desire, the ocean if one wants to live on the coast, look into Pacifica or Half Moon Bay, Woods & 'mountains'....redwoods specifically, check out Los Gatos and surrounding area. Pacifica is a short drive to the city, Los Gatos is a bit more of a drive, but if you want to enjoy the city and not live in it, there is someplace that meets anyone's wants.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM

507 posts, read 562,560 times
This might be possible somewhere in the Bay Area, but definitely not in San Francisco proper, unless you already have someone here you could stay with. You will not be able to get an apartment without a job, and you won't be able to get that kind of job without being local.

For some perspective, 1 BR apartments are typically in the $2-3,000/month range. As a roommate, think $1k/month, and there's a lot of competition. Other cities in the area are less expensive, but nowhere you'd want to live is cheap.

If you want to move to San Francisco, I highly recommend getting involved in computers and technology. That's where all the jobs are. And those companies will hire people from outside the area.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM

8,567 posts, read 3,857,541 times
I know a few people who work food service, and they're able to survive here. The key is to have roommates -- lots of them -- and to be willing to live in a less-than-glamorous part of town, at least at first. There's no shortage of server jobs, and lots of turnover.

BTW, the minimum wage just rose to $10.55 per hour, and health care is available via the Healthy SF program -- which is funded in part by a surtax on restaurant meals.

Healthy San Francisco:

But in any case, you shouldn't even think about moving here unless you have a few thousand dollars in savings, to cover your living expenses until you find a job and a place to live (which will usually require at least 2 months' worth of rent up front).

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,876,496 times
Yeah, get a BA in computer science and then consider it. SF is not an easy place to make it without a college degree, it's just too expensive.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,452 times
So say I have 3 other roommates, all moving with me. How much should each one of us have in savings, before we move?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM

196 posts, read 212,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykndr View Post
Hi, I'm 18 years old and currently live in Knoxville, TN. I've always liked the idea of San Francisco, and am really interested in moving out there. I currently have a job here as a server at a local restaurant, and I make okay money, not great though because business has slowed a lot within the past 2 years.

I was wondering, if I decided to move out there, would it be possible for me to find a serving job, and be able to live off of that money? Does anyone know what a waiter makes, working 30-40 hours a week, typically?

Or any other job, I would welcome too. Serving is just what came to my mind first. I wanna be able to live without having to worry about paying next months rent, or not being able to buy food/transportation costs.

Why would you want to move? People don't move to the Bay Area as waiters hoping to IMPROVE their standard of living.

Do some research on the COL in the Bay Area and reevaluate your decision.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 AM

396 posts, read 358,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykndr View Post

Okay, when I was your age, I went to a wedding in Florida. On the last day there I went out to see if I could find a job ... And I did. I didn't get on the plane, and lived in the south for two years. But, it wasn't easy! I did not come from money ... I was on my own!

So, now that I'm 48 ... Do I look back and regret it? He'll no! It is part of my life experience ... My history! It makes me the rich and open minded person that I am!

BUT ... That was 28 years ago when times were simpler ... Not so scary ... And certainly, not so expensive.

Here I am now (from Louisville and now a So Cal resident for 8+ years) and I'd give anything to have a home in Knoxville! Damn, I love that town! It is such a gorgeous place ... And fun, fun!

Absolutely do what you need to do to make you happy! But, please know that the grass really isn't greener elsewhere! You will be able to get an apartment two or three times bigger there than in the SF area. You will have to worry about money!

But, if you're willing to chance it, then go for it ... With eyes wide open! (If that is even possible under the age of 30! ROFL)

HUGz and good luck! Jules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland