U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM

41 posts, read 109,134 times
Question Need information about Livermore, CA

I am thinking about relocating to Livermore, CA but was wondering about a few things: (1)-Earthquakes....how often and approximately how strong are the earthquakes in this area? (2)-Employment-how is the job market in the area for clerical/accounting positions? (3)-Are the rents reasonable? (4)-Is it a safe and nice area to live? (5)-Is it a 'pet friendly' kind of place?
Anyone who can give me a true idea of what it is like to live in Livermore I would appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,902,200 times
Earthquakes are not as common at inland areas such as Livermore as they are along the coast where the major fault lines are. Earthquakes strong enough to be felt are not that common. I haven't noticed an earthquake around here since 1989.
Otherwise, Livermore is a nice town with a country feel. There are vineyards in the area. The downtown area has been spruced up and looks nice. It does get hot in the summertime - in the 90's but with low humidity. Lots of shopping available, also nearby in Pleasanton and Dublin.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Livermore, CA but was wondering about a few things: (1)-Earthquakes....how often and approximately how strong are the earthquakes in this area?.
Map: Major Bay Area Faults

THE LIVERMORE EARTHQUAKE OF JANUARY 1980 CONTRA COSTA AND ALAMEDA COUNTIES, CALIFORNIA

Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,902,200 times
Livermore vineyards Wente Vineyards

Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,470,167 times
Not near any major faults?? Are you serious?? The Hayward and Calaveras fault run right by Livermore. There was a 5.7 near San Jose a few months ago. We felt it all the way in Cupertino.

That being said, no you can't feel most of them. But they do say the next big quake will most likely come from the Hayward fault.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM

45 posts, read 143,304 times
I grew up in Livermore. It has grown a lot over the last 10 - 15 years and become more of a commuter town than it was when I was a kid in the 70s, but I'm sure it's still a nice place. When I was there it was still like a factory town with most people living and working in the same town, not commuting out everyday. That change has made the traffic on 580 a real nightmare. It is very hot in the Summer, and it doesn't cool off at night like it does over the hill. In fact, you will often be able to see the fog sitting on the East Bay hills as the sun goes down...mocking you while you sweat.

I lived there during the '80 earthquake and it was quite a ride, but earthquakes are going to happen here no matter where you live. Livermore is near some major fault lines, but so is every other city in the Bay Area. Nothing in Livermore has been built on landfill and that is a much bigger danger in an earthquake. Everything that fell down in the Loma Prieta quake was built on landfill.

I don't know anything about the job situation out there now. It used to be on the cheaper side, which is why so many people moved there, but like everything else, it got increasingly expensive. No with the market declining rapidly, I wouldn't even guess what the rental market is like.

If you can work there too, I'd say it's a nice place. If you have to commute out of there on a weekday morning, no way.

Last edited by GreenGirl; 02-29-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 22,146 times
Another one who grew up in Livermore... have moved away a number of times and always come back. Rents are cheaper for houses than apartments from what I have found, but that depends on if you're on your own or have a family. For a family - definately rent a house - you'll get more bang for the buck. I've been through a few earthquakes, and they're generally not that bad. Even with the big Loma Prieta quake, Livermore had relatively minor damage.

As far as jobs, there is a HUGE business center in Pleasanton which is right next door. If you have half a brain and can do about any clerical position, there will be a job out there for you.

And Livermore is very pet friendly, from what I've experienced. And it's a great place to live. South Livermore is the "nice" part of town, but there really isn't a bad part of town... well except the Springtown area, and that's just because it's virtually cut off from the rest of Livermore so it feels too separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland