Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Mountain View is ok. Not as exciting as people make it out to be, but it works.

That being said...unless you really want to live in SF, I don't think it's worth commuting from SF to MV either. You could always go to SF on the weekends.

I also agree that if your company puts you up in SF for 2 months then it wouldn't hurt to try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
Is the Caltrain to Mountain View a scenic ride, or dead boring?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Is the Caltrain to Mountain View a scenic ride, or dead boring?
It's dull and goes through mostly industrial areas, though there is a brief glimpse of the bay. Someone else posted that when Caltrain gets extended to downtown SF near the Transbay Terminal, that station will have more jobs within walking distance than the rest of the Caltrain stops combined. That gives you an idea of what the system is like now.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
It's dull and goes through mostly industrial areas, though there is a brief glimpse of the bay. Someone else posted that when Caltrain gets extended to downtown SF near the Transbay Terminal, that station will have more jobs within walking distance than the rest of the Caltrain stops combined. That gives you an idea of what the system is like now.
Industrial? I'll give you dull, although I personally think it can be scenic with views of the bay (at times) and the mountains in the East bay and on the peninsula (which are especially pretty in the summer when the fog is rolling over them). The Caltrain route parallels El Camino most of the way (and at times runs immediately next to it) and the stuff immediately next to the rail line isn't all that interesting. The only part of the ~60 mile line that seem semi-industrial are some sections in SF (Bayview and and the part when it's under 280), but there's nothing that's truly industrial (e.g. Detroit smoke stakes, and the like). Other than that, it mostly goes through suburban (some neighborhoods, mostly commercial) and semi-urban areas (the many peninsula downtowns and downtown San Jose). If you sit on the upper section of the trains, you can get a better view of the surrounding mountains.

To the OP: Caltrain is worth a look if your prospective employer runs a shuttle to/from the station in Mountain View or the company isn't that far from a Caltrain station. Also, Caltrain is very convenient for taking your bike on it (most trains carry ~80 bikes), so you could easily take your bike on the train and bike to your job from there.

Caltrain sometimes gets a bad rap, but it's actually pretty convenient and reliable (the trains being almost always precisely on time to the minute is great). I take caltrain daily to Palo Alto and I enjoy it. I alternate between taking my bike on the train (usually 3-4 days a week) and taking the Stanford Marguerite shuttle to campus when I don't want to bike (1-2 days a week). Also, I can use the time on the train doing work/decompressing/browsing the internet on my phone/laptop. It sure beats sitting in a car in traffic.

The keys for the OP on whether Caltrain makes sense are: where the company is located in Mountain View, whether it's within walking distance from/to the station, whether it's bikeable (and you want to bike), and/or whether your company offers some sort of shuttle. The ride from SF to Mountain View isn't super short, but the baby bullet (express) trains are quite quick (~40 minutes). Also, you'll need to figure out where in SF you'll be living and how close/far it is to the station. There are many places to live around the 4th and King and the 22nd street SF Caltrain stations, but these areas of town are very expensive.

Caltrain site: caltrain.com
Caltrain schedule: Weekday Timetable
Caltrain stops: System Map (note: majority of commute-time trains are limited/express and do not stop at all of the stations)

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-08-2013 at 05:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
Like the OP, my plan is to eventually live in SF city, but the reality is I might have to take a job in the valley. I love trains (an understatement) and wouldn't mind Caltrain. I just hate driving (another understatement.)

Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
If you're thinking Caltrain, you might want to look at the areas around the two main Caltrain stations in San Francisco--at 4th & Townsend and 22nd St.--and see how they suit you. The problem with using Caltrain is that you've also got to get to it on the San Francisco side. BART does connect to Caltrain at Millbrae. Another method is the aforementioned bike. There are other transit connections to Caltrain, but it can start to turn into a long trip.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
If you're thinking Caltrain, you might want to look at the areas around the two main Caltrain stations in San Francisco--at 4th & Townsend and 22nd St.--and see how they suit you. The problem with using Caltrain is that you've also got to get to it on the San Francisco side. BART does connect to Caltrain at Millbrae. Another method is the aforementioned bike. There are other transit connections to Caltrain, but it can start to turn into a long trip.
I second this idea, if you're really set on taking Caltrain, and living in the city. The BART to Millbrae is slow though, so be warned, it takes about 30 minutes to get from Market St to Millbrae, Protero Hill and China Basin would be much faster.

The OP can also look at peninsula towns that have an easier time getting to SF on the weekend, like San Mateo, personally I like downtown San Mateo, San Carlos, Redwood City, and Palo Alto also have downtowns and are closer to the city. Burlingame is even closer, but can be expensive.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
The OP can also look at peninsula towns that have an easier time getting to SF on the weekend, like San Mateo, personally I like downtown San Mateo, San Carlos, Redwood City, and Palo Alto also have downtowns and are closer to the city. Burlingame is even closer, but can be expensive.
I wouldn't. If he does this he'll have to commute to work -and- to fun.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I wouldn't. If he does this he'll have to commute to work -and- to fun.
I disagree with you in that living on the peninsula is generally a bad idea (because I do it myself: live in downtown San Mateo, work in Palo Alto, play in SF 2-4 days a week).

But for the OP, I agree and I'd recommend living in SF. This is mainly because the OP's company is paying the rental expenses, so he/she may as well try out SF for the 2 months and go from there.

The only problem will be when those 2 months wear off and the crushing reality of how much it really costs to rent in SF rears its ugly head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland