Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times

Advertisements

I live in San Lorenzo and I find the area fine. The schools are ok in this area (better than Hayward). I do not have a problem with Hayward, used to drive through it every day to get to work in Redwood City. I would say Hayward is middle class with some poorer areas. San Lorenzo and parts of San Leandro are also middle class.
Not everyone can afford PA or Cupertino. My wife and I make decent money (160k combined income) and choose to live in an area that allows us to live a comfortable life style.
If I were you I would try and find a decent area near where you work as travel through Hayward can be very time consuming. I like where I live so you should look at San Lorenzo as well, try to find something as far west as possible.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I think Hayward is a little under-amenitied for its size.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think Hayward is a little under-amenitied for its size.
I agree, though it is only a few miles south to the shopping center in Union City, 5 miles east to the mall in dublin, and bart is there if you want to go to the city.
Personally, I would rather spend my extra time at home then out and about so it works for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Elephants View Post
Hmm i dunno Vista?, San Mateo? Good Day!

What compelled you to name San Mateo? It's home to one of the most notorious neighborhoods on the peninsula (Shoreview) and other neighborhoods like North Central definitely don't meet the criteria for "zero crime and no poor people".

Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM

26 posts, read 39,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What compelled you to name San Mateo? It's home to one of the most notorious neighborhoods on the peninsula (Shoreview) and other neighborhoods like North Central definitely don't meet the criteria for "zero crime and no poor people".
Strawman, even Beverly hills has crime, even the safest place on earth may have some form of crime.

The crime stats for San Mateo are extremely low. Considering you're from oakland and find anywhere in san mateo bad is extremely ridiculous. The worst part of san mateo is safer than uptown or rockridge. Look it up. Stats don't lie.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Strawman, even Beverly hills has crime, even the safest place on earth may have some form of crime.

The crime stats for San Mateo are extremely low. Considering you're from oakland and find anywhere in san mateo bad is extremely ridiculous. The worst part of san mateo is safer than uptown or rockridge. Look it up. Stats don't lie.
What's ridiculous is your lame attempt to backpedal when you clearly aren't familiar at all with San Mateo.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'd take a look at San Lorenzo or the Hayward Hills.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM

26 posts, read 39,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What's ridiculous is your lame attempt to backpedal when you clearly aren't familiar at all with San Mateo.
If you say so I was co owner of a property there with a buddy of mine. Then again, i don't know san mateo because I don't think it's a violent city like Oakland.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
If you say so I was co owner of a property there with a buddy of mine. Then again, i don't know san mateo because I don't think it's a violent city like Oakland.
Oakland has literally nothing to do with this conversation, you're bringing it up in an attempt to flamebait because you don't have anything of substance to say about San Mateo. Anyone who's "owned property" there would be aware San Mateo is not Los Altos or even Mountain View when it comes to crime and poverty. In other words, I highly doubt you ever owned property in San Mateo.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 AM

14 posts, read 49,631 times
Well to clarify, I am 23, no kids, just graduated and may possibly get a job offer there since I interned with the company. I have seen worse neighborhoods from a look perspective. As long as I live in a gated apartment with decent people I am fine. The rent seems rather cheap compare to other places. Salary I will possibly make is around 54K. I don't want to blow my money on excessive rent nor do I want to commute more than 20 minutes(driving). I thinking anywhere near Cal State University, such as Whitman street etc.

I don't need to live in a super glossy area nor do I want to live near gangbangers, meth heads etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland