U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
12,094 posts, read 10,918,831 times
Reputation: 14746

Advertisements

Depending on the person, I always give. Black homeless, I am especially generous with, since they are likely treated with much less respect than their white homeless counterparts. I have a special weakness for women who are homeless, and I have given as much as $100 to them in SF and SJ. I don't get to Oakland very often.

I'm fortunate to have it and glad to give when I can. I attribute this to a great deal of compassion and empathy I have for people less fortunate, people who have been historically discriminated against, and people who have been shunned by this society. Life can be tough, even crippling for many.

Sorry you had that bad experience, but don't let one bad experience turn you cold towards everyone who is homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,590 posts, read 6,665,186 times
Reputation: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Depending on the person, I always give. Black homeless, I am especially generous with, since they are likely treated with much less respect than their white homeless counterparts. I have a special weakness for women who are homeless, and I have given as much as $100 to them in SF and SJ. I don't get to Oakland very often.

I'm fortunate to have it and glad to give when I can. I attribute this to a great deal of compassion and empathy I have for people less fortunate, people who have been historically discriminated against, and people who have been shunned by this society. Life can be tough, even crippling for many.

Sorry you had that bad experience, but don't let one bad experience turn you cold towards everyone who is homeless.
Glad you're trying to be nice, but do you not suspect you may be contributing to a scam, or worse, one's own demise, given the likelihood of what that money is going to buy?
Gotta worry about personal safety if you go around dens of homelessness waving around that kind of cash, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM
 
1,821 posts, read 1,158,071 times
Reputation: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
The mentally ill are no more likely to commit crimes than anybody else. They are actually more likely to be victims of crime.

-from my high school psychology class lol

Seems to be true in my experience to be honest.
Maybe in a statistical sense that's true, or maybe not, but people who are not mentally ill are extremely unlikely ever to go on a shooting rampage in a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,145 posts, read 3,921,279 times
Reputation: 4394
Those are some stories to make you think before you acknowledge the homeless while walking down the street. I used to live in the 'Loin and only once did I have a guy begging for change, follow me into a laundromat on Geary St. I was pregnant at the time and he was saying how he'd cut that baby out of me and it was probably some black guy's baby anyway ...it was scary to me since this was midafternoon and I was not alone there. Guess when they need a fix, anything goes. It's a shame, they ruin it for those who really would buy food or a get a room with whatever money they could get.
I did once give a homeless man $5 on Christmas eve and didn't care if it was for booze or whatever..but the rest of the time, I'd give a few coins or nothing... after a while you kind of go about your business and only help some if you feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM
 
200 posts, read 231,067 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Those are some stories to make you think before you acknowledge the homeless while walking down the street. I used to live in the 'Loin and only once did I have a guy begging for change, follow me into a laundromat on Geary St. I was pregnant at the time and he was saying how he'd cut that baby out of me and it was probably some black guy's baby anyway ...it was scary to me since this was midafternoon and I was not alone there. Guess when they need a fix, anything goes. It's a shame, they ruin it for those who really would buy food or a get a room with whatever money they could get.
I did once give a homeless man $5 on Christmas eve and didn't care if it was for booze or whatever..but the rest of the time, I'd give a few coins or nothing... after a while you kind of go about your business and only help some if you feel like it.
Wow...that's so horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

You mentioned you were not alone there. Does that mean nobody stood up for you? If so, I am not surprised. I have noticed that SF residents do not help each other out when other folks are in distress. Nobody would let this happen in NY. We are direct and not passive aggressive like SO many people here in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
 
920 posts, read 770,438 times
Reputation: 918
I know that many of you may hate math, but here is the formula for this thread, I suggest you memorize it.

Rich city + decent weather + ground zero for acid (read "Acid Dreams) + large park where people can live = hella homeless.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you have no money because you spent it on hooch and dope, move. If you're disabled and can't afford the rent, move. If you lost your job as so many have and can't afford the rent, move. That is the reason that the gods invented places such as Modesto, Fresno, and Bakersfield. If you don't have the money, for whatever reason, to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, then move. Nothing is written that you must live in expensive cities, other than the fact you go there for the vibe, or to get major handouts. Hell, I'm a native of North Bay and I can't afford to live there, and I have no drug problems and have a job. When I was still living in The City, there existed a group of people advocating for the homeless and demanding the places be made available for them. Let's see, they had the resources to lobby and get some professional help for their cause, but they couldn't afford to live in the city. That means they're professionally homeless. When I worked in L.A., i ran into some guy who was also professionally homeless, and somehow existed in Santa Monica, CA, also one of the most expensive cities in Socal. He headed some homeless advocacy group along the Socal coast and was working to get homeless people cheap rent, or places for no rent at all. So in the course of my interviewing him, (I worked for a radio station at the time, KPFK) I asked him, why did he need or insist living in Samo was the only option for him. His response was that he had the right to live wherever he wanted. Yeah, but who has the obligation to fulfill his delusional nonsense? As you can imagine the interview went downhill from there.

But the point still holds. Those of us who have some grasp of reality understand that we can't live where we want when we want. The delusion is that The City is some kind of Mecca and that life will somehow be better than with far more affordable areas. Most major cities cannot support their growing populations, they cannot feed themselves, they need massive infrastructure to maintain themselves, and the cost continue to go up as more people are crammed into the area. Well, it's really kind of stupid to think that anyone has some right to live in that kind of area when they don't have the resources to pay for that kind of lifestyle. Well, stop being delusional and find a place where your resources can pay for a place to live. More than likely, the people there don't have the discretionary income to give you so can continue being an idiot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
 
5,539 posts, read 5,124,455 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I know that many of you may hate math, but here is the formula for this thread, I suggest you memorize it.

Rich city + decent weather + ground zero for acid (read "Acid Dreams) + large park where people can live = hella homeless.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you have no money because you spent it on hooch and dope, move. If you're disabled and can't afford the rent, move. If you lost your job as so many have and can't afford the rent, move. That is the reason that the gods invented places such as Modesto, Fresno, and Bakersfield. If you don't have the money, for whatever reason, to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, then move. Nothing is written that you must live in expensive cities, other than the fact you go there for the vibe, or to get major handouts. Hell, I'm a native of North Bay and I can't afford to live there, and I have no drug problems and have a job. When I was still living in The City, there existed a group of people advocating for the homeless and demanding the places be made available for them. Let's see, they had the resources to lobby and get some professional help for their cause, but they couldn't afford to live in the city. That means they're professionally homeless. When I worked in L.A., i ran into some guy who was also professionally homeless, and somehow existed in Santa Monica, CA, also one of the most expensive cities in Socal. He headed some homeless advocacy group along the Socal coast and was working to get homeless people cheap rent, or places for no rent at all. So in the course of my interviewing him, (I worked for a radio station at the time, KPFK) I asked him, why did he need or insist living in Samo was the only option for him. His response was that he had the right to live wherever he wanted. Yeah, but who has the obligation to fulfill his delusional nonsense? As you can imagine the interview went downhill from there.

But the point still holds. Those of us who have some grasp of reality understand that we can't live where we want when we want. The delusion is that The City is some kind of Mecca and that life will somehow be better than with far more affordable areas. Most major cities cannot support their growing populations, they cannot feed themselves, they need massive infrastructure to maintain themselves, and the cost continue to go up as more people are crammed into the area. Well, it's really kind of stupid to think that anyone has some right to live in that kind of area when they don't have the resources to pay for that kind of lifestyle. Well, stop being delusional and find a place where your resources can pay for a place to live. More than likely, the people there don't have the discretionary income to give you so can continue being an idiot....
I agree 100% with everything highlighted.

Great post overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
 
8,394 posts, read 7,320,862 times
Reputation: 8967
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Depending on the person, I always give. Black homeless, I am especially generous with, since they are likely treated with much less respect than their white homeless counterparts. I have a special weakness for women who are homeless, and I have given as much as $100 to them in SF and SJ. I don't get to Oakland very often.

I'm fortunate to have it and glad to give when I can. I attribute this to a great deal of compassion and empathy I have for people less fortunate, people who have been historically discriminated against, and people who have been shunned by this society. Life can be tough, even crippling for many.

Sorry you had that bad experience, but don't let one bad experience turn you cold towards everyone who is homeless.
You are a Class Act. A true humanitarian. Blessings to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
 
920 posts, read 770,438 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I agree 100% with everything highlighted.

Great post overall.
Thank you Marilyn220, that is kind of you. So sad that sometimes common sense is all that one needs to understand a situation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
 
5,539 posts, read 5,124,455 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Thank you Marilyn220, that is kind of you. So sad that sometimes common sense is all that one needs to understand a situation....
You're welcome and I agree with you. I moved back to NYC, which was done more for financial reasons than anything, but I'm not happy here anymore. I wasn't happy when I first left several years ago which is why I moved in the first place to LA. LA was a DISASTER. I never knew what TRUE POVERTY AND STRUGGLE was until I lived there. The people were cool and I loved the "live and let live" attitudes of Californians, but I couldn't get with the financial struggle anymore. To get a decent job in that city is more on "who you know" than merit and experience.

I'm back in NYC, but I'll be leaving again in April or May when the weather gets warmer to another city after I save up a certain amount of money. I already have one in mind and currently doing the research now. It's a very small city that I know NO ONE WANTS TO MOVE TO, so I'll be good. LOL! I can order whatever I need off the internet just like I used to do in LA. I wanted to try SF again, but I realized how much I miss my family and if anything happens, I need to live somewhere where it will take me from a few hours to a day's drive to get to if I can't afford plane fare.

Still wanna visit, just not live.

NYC is very overrated now. It's only fascinating and "exhilerating" to people who've never lived there or come from Boringville, USA. Can't say that I blame them, but it's because of these cornbred transplants that the city is becoming another Dullsville. The only people keeping it 'alive' are the NYC folks in the outerboroughs and upper Manhattan past 96th street (where minorities and jews live) and even many of them are trying to find ways to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top