U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
 
825 posts, read 752,594 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If someone from his lineage wants to donate a $10 million + to SFO than go ahead a rename it, but there is no reason for tax payers to pay for it.
Where are you pulling these cost estimates from??

Directly from the SFGate article: "Campos said about 80 other U.S. airports are already named for individuals, none of whom are gay, and that SFO - which moves 40 million passengers annually, including 9 million international travelers - has a particularly high profile. He believes it would cost between $50,000 and $250,000 to implement, citing the cost other cities have incurred to do the same, but said he hopes to attract private donations to fund the change."

I'm not saying I agree with this name change (I personally think airports should generally be named after the city, as to avoid as much confusion as possible), but let's keep the arguments against it factual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
2,974 posts, read 2,324,517 times
Reputation: 2315
Someone didn't READ THE ARTICLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
507 posts, read 533,643 times
Reputation: 303
Prefer to leave the airport named after the city. There's only one, after all. If we build a second airport, then they would need specific names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,275 posts, read 4,832,761 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Where are you pulling these cost estimates from??

Directly from the SFGate article: "Campos said about 80 other U.S. airports are already named for individuals, none of whom are gay, and that SFO - which moves 40 million passengers annually, including 9 million international travelers - has a particularly high profile. He believes it would cost between $50,000 and $250,000 to implement, citing the cost other cities have incurred to do the same, but said he hopes to attract private donations to fund the change."

I'm not saying I agree with this name change (I personally think airports should generally be named after the city, as to avoid as much confusion as possible), but let's keep the arguments against it factual.
I didn't say it would cost the airport $10 million to change the name, I'm saying the city shouldn't go through the hassle or cost to change it unless someone were to donate a large sum.

It would cost $20 to have my name engraved into the payment in Union Square, does that mean the city should do it if I give them $20? NO. If I were to donate a large sum, then it'd be worth it for the city and its residents, otherwise drop the ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,275 posts, read 4,832,761 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Someone didn't READ THE ARTICLE!
Someone didn't use LOGIC/COMMON SENSE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM
 
825 posts, read 752,594 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I didn't say it would cost the airport $10 million to change the name, I'm saying the city shouldn't go through the hassle or cost to change it unless someone were to donate a large sum.

It would cost $20 to have my name engraved into the payment in Union Square, does that mean the city should do it if I give them $20? NO. If I were to donate a large sum, then it'd be worth it for the city and its residents, otherwise drop the ego.
I don't disagree with your basic argument. I'm just saying if you want to attack it, less hysteria and more facts help your case more. You'll notice in the article that they hope to get private funding to pay for it. But, either way, I don't really think the airport's name should even be changed in the first place (regardless of the costs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Status: "California Uber Alles!" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,472 posts, read 6,376,065 times
Reputation: 4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
they hope to get private funding to pay for it.
Well, that may happen, but with conditions...

Get ready for Larry Ellison International Airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM
 
414 posts, read 331,606 times
Reputation: 423
I love it. Just to **** off people even more who are already pissed off with San Francisco. Just imagine, you are already mad that you have to go to that degenerate, immoral, liberal haven San Francisco and then you land in Harvey Milk International.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Status: "California Uber Alles!" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,472 posts, read 6,376,065 times
Reputation: 4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I love it. Just to **** off people even more who are already pissed off with San Francisco. Just imagine, you are already mad that you have to go to that degenerate, immoral, liberal haven San Francisco and then you land in Harvey Milk International.
Yeah, watch what happens when they look up just who this mysterious person was . Downfall of civilization!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
507 posts, read 533,643 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well, that may happen, but with conditions...

Get ready for Larry Ellison International Airport
Hahaha. Yes. They should auction the name off. No, lease it. Yearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top