Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM

116 posts, read 190,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Are you DocGoldstein? I don't think I was talking to you.

Now that I am though, I might as well also mention that Head Royce is in good company; College Preparatory School awards nearly $2 million of financial aid every year to around a quarter of its student body. Between Head Royce and College Prep that's around 340 students - a full 1% of Oakland's K-12 student population - that get to attend two of the top 30 private schools in the country either for free or subsidized tuition. That may not mean much to you but it means the world to the families who are fortunate enough to do so, particularly to those coming from the most disadvantaged areas of Oakland where the schools indeed suck.
1% ? Are you really proud of 1% of a district getting aid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
Am I proud that 340 low and middle-income (mostly) Oaklanders get to go to two of the best-of-the-best private schools in the US and by extension the world? Yup.

Of course, there's 150 other private schools in the city (of varying size and quality) so I'm sure that there's thousands more low and middle-income Oaklanders who are finding alternatives to under-performing neighborhood schools.

And of course, not all of Oakland's public schools are under-performing... if you live in the Lower Hills, Oakland Hills, Downtown Oakland or North Oakland east of Broadway, the schools are actually pretty decent, and among them some excellent ones. the Flatlands however get shortchanged for the most part.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
It's actually much less than 1%. Many of these private schools have expensive lab and material cost, and field trip cost that are not paid for by those getting aid.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
It's actually much less than 1%. Many of these private schools have expensive lab and material cost, and field trip cost that are not paid for by those getting aid.

Uh no, it's much more than 1% no matter which way you try to spin it. It's 1% at Head Royce and College Prep alone. Between all of the 152 private schools in Oakland the real number's more than likely >20%

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Uh no, it's much more than 1% no matter which way you try to spin it. It's 1% at Head Royce and College Prep alone. Between all of the 152 private schools in Oakland the real number's more than likely >20%
Completely false.

Most of the aid is lost in administrative fees because it requires more staff, and personnel to handle the increase in student population. Do you know how much your typical Head Royce teacher makes per year at the 9-12 level? You'd be surprised.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Completely false.

Most of the aid is lost in administrative fees because it requires more staff, and personnel to handle the increase in student population. Do you know how much your typical Head Royce teacher makes per year at the 9-12 level? You'd be surprised.
They make between $80-100K per year depending on their seniority.

And no, most of the money is not lost in administrative fees. I know a lot of people who are or were going there on scholarship. They're one of the most generous private schools in the Bay Area.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:

And no, most of the money is not lost in administrative fees. I know a lot of people who are or were going there on scholarship. They're one of the most generous private schools in the Bay Area.
No, they make over $120,000 with 4+ years of experience. They are some of the highest paid teachers in the state.

Your claim that 20% of Oakland students in high school are going to expensive private schools for free is simply a fairly tale.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
No, they make over $120,000 with 4+ years of experience. They are some of the highest paid teachers in the state.

Your claim that 20% of Oakland students in high school are going to expensive private schools for free is simply a fairly tale.

That means a lot coming from someone who knows Oakland schools as well as you do rofl.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
lol....
I know

Old 01-19-2013, 12:57 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,272,399 times
I love it. Oakland's schools improve at a commendable rate and the Oakland haters are bitter/upset about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland