U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

If there is a way for foreigner (without immigration/work visa, just touristic one) get a driver license in San Francisco? The story is short a sad — forgot mine at home. Will stay within California for a few weeks and then going to Vegas for another week. Primarily wanted to use car in Vegas but now don't even know what to do. I've read that I can get learner's permit after written tests but could I then rent a car to pass driving test or just go with learner's to another state? My wife has driver license issued in our country but she is not that experienced driver and afraid of driving in other country so as my last resort I was thinking about to rent a car on her name as a main driver and add me as a second driver (yeah, I know it'll be more expensive but cheaper than excursions anyway). What do you think? Would appreciate any ideas.

P.S. We are thirties so age shouldn't be stopping factor at DMV office, I guess.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 AM

622 posts, read 418,334 times
Nope.

Get someone to mail your license to you via a service like UPS, FedEx, or whatever is used in your country (less likely that it will be lost.)

Here is the checklist of what you need to do. You just can't stroll into a California DMV office and have this done with little effort. The DMV last I checked has always been a bureaucratic nightmare.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 15 days ago)

5,957 posts, read 3,534,293 times
Yep, even if you could follow all the steps needed to get a CDL, it wouldn't be mailed to you until you're already back home. For some reason, it takes them weeks to do what other states can do within a few minutes once you've passed all the necessary tests.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,247 times
So you meant regular permit isn't an option since takes ages ro get one, but what about learner's permit? These should be given quick after tests in DMV office, isn't it? The main question if I could rent or be a second driver with these.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM

6,805 posts, read 1,362,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax82 View Post
So you meant regular permit isn't an option since takes ages ro get one, but what about learner's permit? These should be given quick after tests in DMV office, isn't it? The main question if I could rent or be a second driver with these.
You can't get a license as you aren't a CA resident.

If you physically had your license in your possession you could drive legally in CA.

You also can't rent without having your license from wherever you are from in your physical possession.

Quote:
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.
If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM

363 posts, read 326,194 times
Can not get license as tourist but you can drive with valid license from your country. Have to have insurance if your policy doesn't cover you internationally.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Can not get license as tourist but you can drive with valid license from your country. Have to have insurance if your policy doesn't cover you internationally.
Good point.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM

622 posts, read 418,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax82 View Post
You're not getting that there are no "quick tests" at the California DMV. You can get in and out with an appointment quickly, but you're not eligible to get a California Driver's License.

Again, have someone express mail your license to you. If that's not possible, your wife is going to have to get over it and drive. (Get the liability insurance too.) If that's not possible, you're in San Francisco, use taxis, car services, and mass transit. If you want to go further out arrange for a driver or a tour.

The airport in Vegas is a stone's throw away from the Vegas strip. You'll need a ride from the airport to your hotel if your hotel is on the main drag. From there, everything along that main drag is walkable. If you want to go further out or your hotel is further out, you'll have to get transport from your hotel to your destinations.

Basically, next time you're traveling make a list and don't forget your driver's license if your plan is to rent a car. I never leave the house much less travel without my driver's license.

Lesson learned.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Again, have someone express mail your license to you. If that's not possible, your wife is going to have to get over it and drive. (Get the liability insurance too.) If that's not possible, you're in San Francisco, use taxis, car services, and mass transit. If you want to go further out arrange for a driver or a tour.
Yeah. And don't try to drive. We're watching you.

I'd hate to have to explain an impounded car to a rental agency. Definitely ruin your vacation...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM

202 posts, read 182,886 times
Having a car in Vegas doesn't make sense. Most things you can walk to plus you'll most likely want to have a few drinks. Public parking is pricey and not all that great. It's much more enjoyable to just walk around.

As others have mentioned you won't get a CA license without residency and proof of insurance. Plus a permit would require you to have a licensed CA driver with you, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland