U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM

218 posts, read 159,325 times
Default Cal State East Bay ?

Basically I was stupid and missed the dead line to Xfer to CSU San Fran. So I applied at East Bay.
I honestly know NOTHING about the area or even San Fran for that matter but EVERYONE tells me San Fran was a city that was made for a person like me..I guess that is a good thing.
Just how far away is East Bay ?
What should I expect ?
The people (are they wild) ?
Should I worry about religious people ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM

12,688 posts, read 13,951,216 times
When I graduated from there it was still called Cal State Hayward, and was a commuter College. There were very few activities, people drove or took the bus in, then left. Of course that was back in 1975, so I have to think it's changed a lot since then since they were starting to build apartments and dorms soon after I left. By the San Mateo bridge it's less than 30 miles. I also took classes at San Francisco State and Sonoma State, and went to graduate school at Sacramento State.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I graduated from there it was still called Cal State Hayward, and was a commuter College. There were very few activities, people drove or took the bus in, then left. Of course that was back in 1975, so I have to think it's changed a lot since then since they were starting to build apartments and dorms soon after I left. By the San Mateo bridge it's less than 30 miles. I also took classes at San Francisco State and Sonoma State, and went to graduate school at Sacramento State.
Oh boy that dosent sound like to much fun from an 'out of towner'. I know NO ONE out their either. Ohh boy do i ever regret missing those dead lines now!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 PM

202 posts, read 151,885 times
CSU East Bay is about 30 minutes from San Francisco, can be A LOT longer during commute traffic obviously. BART is probably about 45 minutes, and it's usually reliable. There is a good amount of diversity at the school, although there is a high concentration of Asians, many who have come from overseas.

I'm not sure about what you mean by wild and religious people. The Bay Area has EVERY type of person you can imagine. I don't really feel like any one group really stands out, it's a good mix.

As Hemlock mentioned most people just come and go for classes. There are groups/activities and if you want to get involved you can.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post

I'm not sure about what you mean by wild and religious people. The Bay Area has EVERY type of person you can imagine. I don't really feel like any one group really stands out, it's a good mix.
Well I was just trying to avoid the religious people but seeing as how you said their is a mix im sure I will find a few care free people--I hope.

mod cut Im not even sure on what to do now. It was between East Bay, Bakersfield ( yes Bakersfield) and Dom (forgot hows its spelled) and at this point im not even concerned about my academics (I KNOW I will be fine as far as academics) I just don't wanna be stuck in the middle of no where bored out of my mind (staring at the wall--slipping slowly into madness) on weekends and randoms days.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-21-2013 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM

12,688 posts, read 13,951,216 times
It's probably too late now but I would have suggested San Jose State or even Sacramento as
alternatives in more interesting places.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM

2,249 posts, read 736,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Basically I was stupid and missed the dead line to Xfer to CSU San Fran. So I applied at East Bay.
I can almost assure you that unless you have 60+ credits you won't get in. CSU EB isn't accepting transfer students under 60 credits or freshman.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM

175 posts, read 310,126 times
They have built a lot of new buildings in the last 10 years or so, including new student housing. That being said, it is still primarily a commuter school and does not have nearly the amount of on campus activity compared to a place like SJ State. What's your major? The business school has a brand new building with quite a few business majors on campus. It's a good school but it is not a glamor school (although neither is SF State IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I honestly know NOTHING about the area or even San Fran for that matter but EVERYONE tells me San Fran was a city that was made for a person like me..I guess that is a good thing.
Just how far away is East Bay ?

What should I expect ?
The people (are they wild) ?

Should I worry about religious people ?

Wild? You mean like a party school? No and certainly not on the level of larger schools in the Bay Area.

Do a Google search. If you're applying for college, you should be able to figure this out without asking everyone. Google gives you distances in time and in miles. If you want to take public transportation, Hayward has 2 BART stations and you can check the schedules and which station in SF you want to go to. It also depends how often you want to go to SF. If just on the weekends, it's not that far.

No, you should not. Not even sure where you would get this idea from? CSUs are not religious schools and the Bay Area in general isn't the bible belt. As a heads up, do more research before you apply for schools in the future. I'd hate to go somewhere I know nothing about and then roll the dice on whether I would like it or not. You can always transfer again but that costs time and money.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM

24,461 posts, read 14,816,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
I can almost assure you that unless you have 60+ credits you won't get in. CSU EB isn't accepting transfer students under 60 credits or freshman.
I can attest. My son was accepted months ago but then denied admittance just before registration when they got his final transcripts from his CC and realized that even after getting his AA Degree and taking all the required classes and having 61 units, he still came up a couple units short for transfer because of a non transferable math class he took his first semester. Now he's signed up to take a couple more transferable classes at CC and will have to reapply to CSUEB. That'll teach him to not talk to a counselor.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM

2,249 posts, read 736,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
he still came up a couple units short for transfer because of a non transferable math class he took his first semester.
Algebra II? I plan on going to CSUEB so that's how I know. That's the only class I have on my transcript that isn't transferable. EB will take all student in the Fall but any other semester pretty much requires you to be a Junior. Not just a minimal credit Junior either but 70+ units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland