Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM

21 posts, read 33,231 times

Advertisements

For you foodies out there.

I haven't been to ANY of these places yet, except for the Trappist. Any good deals popping out at you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,848 times
I'll be paying a visit to Yayu. 2nd Best Ethiopian food in the Bay Area.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,676,335 times
This is very emblematic of a growing divide in Oakland... if they wanted to have "deals" that would include the half of the city that doesn't find $20-40 for a meal a "good deal" then they would have branched out to include restaurants in the Flatlands (of which there are hundreds) which also would have increased their visibility to those who aren't from/in the Flatlands or Oakland for that matter by participating in this.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is very emblematic of a growing divide in Oakland... if they wanted to have "deals" that would include the half of the city that doesn't find $20-40 for a meal a "good deal" then they would have branched out to include restaurants in the Flatlands (of which there are hundreds) which also would have increased their visibility to those who aren't from/in the Flatlands or Oakland for that matter by participating in this.
This is a great idea.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

21 posts, read 33,231 times
Quote:
Absolutely. A colleague who isn't familiar with Oakland actually just asked me "are any of these places in the scary parts?" and after reviewing the map I just said "Actually... this just looks like a map of what places people will tell you are safe". Kind of a shame, I agree with you completely

Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibbs View Post
Absolutely. A colleague who isn't familiar with Oakland actually just asked me "are any of these places in the scary parts?" and after reviewing the map I just said "Actually... this just looks like a map of what places people will tell you are safe". Kind of a shame, I agree with you completely
Just like some of the best food in the US can be found in the Mission, Flatbush, East LA, etc. I guess those who truly are looking for food over ambiance will do their proper research.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Just like some of the best food in the US can be found in the Mission, Flatbush, East LA, etc. I guess those who truly are looking for food over ambiance will do their proper research.
Yeah there is some amazing food(authentic and quite good) right along International Bl from the lake all the way down to 73rd(and Im sure to the SL border as well, Im just not aware).

Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Quote:
Yup, that would be really helpful! Sometimes people just need a little push to explore unfamiliar parts.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibbs View Post
For you foodies out there.

I haven't been to ANY of these places yet, except for the Trappist. Any good deals popping out at you guys?
B-side BBQ is good: get the pulled pork with the carolina vinegar sauce. It is the closest approximation of carolina BBQ I have had in the Bay.

Chop Bar: always a fun place to go. Everything is tasty. One of my favorite places

Bocanova: pretty tasty, a litle overpriced. These are the right prices for that place

District: don't bother, the food isn't that good. Maybe 20% of the menu is tasty. Go there for drinks and pizza on your own time, skip the deal

Flora: good, this is a good price for that place. Lovely atmosphere

Grand Tavern: it is all about the homemade chips there. Food is OK. so I would pass

Paragon: nice views, tasty food. worth a visit

Plum Bar: very good! worth it!

Pican: tasty but pricey. This is more like the right price for that spot.

Tamarindo: one of my favorite restaurants in Oakland. Stellar margaritas and very tasty mexican tapas. Definitely a must visit, such an excellent price for the high quality food they serve there.

Vos: mediocre vietnamese, you can pass

Tanjia: resaonably tasty, service is hit or miss. But it is the sort of place that is more fun with a big group.

And this covers the places I have had food at.

I am hoping to check out Nido and Hopscotch as they are on my list to try anyway.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

I was hosting a group of 5 out-of-towners last evening and we had an incredible meal at Wood Tavern....the whole neighborhood was vibrant and there were lots of people out and about. Afterwards we went over to Piedmont Av and again the crowds were out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland