Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 13,249 times

Advertisements

Considering a job in West Oakland, near the BART. The job is a good fit, but the salary is 73K which is less than I make now in a lower COL place. I am a 60 year old single woman, and want to live in a safe, affordable area, and don't want a long commute. I like urban areas and diversity, but at my age, I value comfort and peace of mind rather than edgy and exciting. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM

515 posts, read 1,000,144 times
Why move then?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

116 posts, read 189,684 times
West Oakland is one of the most violent area's if not the most violent area of the city. Do not move or work their. As an older almost retired man myself, value your safety. You will get the Oakland boosters telling you it's not all bad. Wrong, all of west Oakland is extremely crime ridden and run down. You'll thank me later.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,671,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh View Post
West Oakland is one of the most violent area's if not the most violent area of the city. Do not move or work their. As an older almost retired man myself, value your safety. You will get the Oakland boosters telling you it's not all bad. Wrong, all of west Oakland is extremely crime ridden and run down. You'll thank me later.

And you know this personally from...?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldorf View Post
Considering a job in West Oakland, near the BART. The job is a good fit, but the salary is 73K which is less than I make now in a lower COL place. I am a 60 year old single woman, and want to live in a safe, affordable area, and don't want a long commute. I like urban areas and diversity, but at my age, I value comfort and peace of mind rather than edgy and exciting. Any thoughts?
Personally, I don't like the West Oakland BART station. It feels a little dark around there. So I wouldn't stroll around at all hours of the night.

But there are lots of great areas in Oakland that would easily fit in your budget and be a quick drive or BART ride away.

You didn't really mention a ton about your preferences, but I'd recommend my own neighborhood, which is diverse ethnically and age wise. (The Piedmont Ave area). This is around a 15 minute drive and a 15 minute BART ride to West Oakland. This area is about 50% apartments/condos and 50% houses. And probably a similar mix of renters and owners. ~1100 will get you a one bedroom place.

You can live in the younger area next door, Grand Lake. Or if you want to live in an area with single family homes, try the Glenview or the Dimond (which adds 5-10 minutes to your commute time.) ~$1000 for a one bedroom

You can also lok at Rockridge, which is mostly young families, and a bit more expensive than the other places I mentioned. ~$1400 for a one bedroom

***If you wanted to take non BART transit to work, I can't think of any buses that connect directly to that area of West Oakland from the neighborhoods I mentioned, so you'd likely need to transfer, but the bus ride would be a one of the sketchier routes.

Housing is expensive here. Food is on par with most metro areas, but higher quality. Heating anc cooling costs are inexpensive since the weather isn't very variable.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM

202 posts, read 528,277 times
I'd look in Dublin/Pleasanton or Castro Valley and just take BART into work. All the exciting stuff is a pretty short car ride, or take BART into the city on the weekends. How long is a long commute to you?

There's also Orinda, Walnut Creek and Concord. I don't really know those areas but the West Oakland station gives you a lot of commuting options.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And you know this personally from...?
I've been to Oakland, i got accepted into a residency program at highland hospital and toured the city before deciding to pass on the opportunity.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
I've been to Oakland, i got accepted into a residency program at highland hospital and toured the city before deciding to pass on the opportunity.
I know one Doc and several RN's at Highland... their trauma team is first rate and is often the go to place even though it is county.

As to the salary... many families earn much less than 73k and manage.

A single person with a 73k salary should do just fine.

This afternoon I was having a similar discussion with a friend... He is married and they have one child and love living in Oakland... together they make about 70k and have great medical benefits. They rent a home in the Oakland hills for $1600 a month and have been for 8 years...

400,000 +/- live in Oakland... so the city must be doing something right.

For me, it means a 7 minute commute on surface streets... co-workers come from as far away as Stockton, Tracy and Vallejo... I just couldn't see spending that much time in my car not to mention all the extra expenses.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM

Itial visit and two day shadow of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I know one Doc and several RN's at Highland... their trauma team is first rate and is often the go to place even though it is county.

As to the salary... many families earn much less than 73k and manage.

A single person with a 73k salary should do just fine.

This afternoon I was having a similar discussion with a friend... He is married and they have one child and love living in Oakland... together they make about 70k and have great medical benefits. They rent a home in the Oakland hills for $1600 a month and have been for 8 years...

400,000 +/- live in Oakland... so the city must be doing something right.

For me, it means a 7 minute commute on surface streets... co-workers come from as far away as Stockton, Tracy and Vallejo... I just couldn't see spending that much time in my car not to mention all the extra expenses.
With all the carnage in oakland their ER is very similar to a war trauma center. They experience similar situations with bullet wounds, especially ak47s the weapon of the taliban and al queda. Many on the streets of oakland. I know during my initial visit and two day shadow with the chief resident of internal medicine, he said the surgery unit and ER response team tur. Out the best in the country next to Baltimore and Wayne County in Detroit.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,671,844 times
Quote:

So you go from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fitsburgh
Is Oakland not the Bay Area? I will be working in Berkeley at the University and have been looking at the surrounding area.
to claiming to have toured around the city before? You're full of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland