Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times

Advertisements

My husband works for a company from San Francisco (we currently live in Northern Wisconsin), we are looking to move to San Francisco within the next year or two and I wanted to start some research on what area would be good for our family and possibly have some job opportunities for me as well.

We are looking for a small town between 100-5000 people with good schools that is in range to commute to San Francisco. It wouldn't need to be a daily commute as he works from home, but I also don't want him to have to drive hours to get to work.

I work in newspapers as a paginator but my field is much broader so anything falling under Graphics Communications will be fine. I would love to stay in layout and design but will apply for other jobs of course.

We currently live in a tiny rural town of about 50 people, which is fine with us.

The biggest thing that would make a town stand out is the school system. We have an 8 year old daughter who loves school and plays as many sports as she can so schools are a top priority. She currently goes to a very good school and I would hate to put her into one that isn't.

So, if anyone can think of any towns we could check out online to help narrow our search for when we visit in December that would be great. Also, and this isn't such a big deal, if you could also let me know the median price for a 2 bedroom rental in a not seedy neighborhood in the area you mention that would be amazing.

Thank you all for any help you can give me, I am a planner by nature so looking up these towns/areas now will ease my mind more than you can know.

-Strepanier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
The closest small towns are about 90-100 miles away, and are either too big for you or have schools that aren't great or where most kids do not speak English at home. Small town is more like 8x the size you are looking for in commuting distance to SF, with the exception of wealthy enclaves that are for CEOS.

You also need to give us your hubby's salary range as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 PM

73 posts, read 141,306 times
Marinwood. A small, close-knit community north of San Rafael. It's not a town, but there is a great family vibe to this community.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Just to give you an idea about SF Bay, when I think of small town, I think of Half Moon Bay (population 12,000), San Anselmo (pop. 12,000) and Fairfax (pop. 7,000). The only town that I can think of that has less than 5,000 people is Brisbane, but only because Brisbane itself is tiny and it doesn't have good schools even though the area is safe and quiet.

The thing with small town (if you can find one) is that they can't support their own schools so their schools are usually bunched with other cities.

I think your best bet is somewhere in the Marin County. The only one I can think of is Fairfax, which as a population of around 7,000. Rent for a 2 bedroom is around $2,000 to $2,800; but they're hard to find. Fairfax usually has bigger 3 bedrooms single family homes.

Also how "good" is a good school to you? There are usually three types - good, great and US News awarded.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Just to give you an idea about SF Bay, when I think of small town, I think of Half Moon Bay (population 12,000), San Anselmo (pop. 12,000) and Fairfax (pop. 7,000). The only town that I can think of that has less than 5,000 people is Brisbane.
Well, Colma has a population of only 1,792. Or 1.5 million, if you count dead people.

I have no idea what it's like to live there. I imagine it must be rather quiet. But it might not be suitable for families, unless your last name is Addams.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
One place that meets most of the OP's criteria, except the population one, is Alameda. It is renowned for its great schools (or at least it used to be; I believe there have been complaints about them recently) and family atmosphere. It's hard to believe there are 75,000 people living there -- much of the city feels like Mayberry to me.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The only town that I can think of that has less than 5,000 people is Brisbane, but only because Brisbane itself is tiny and it doesn't have good schools even though the area is safe and quiet.

Also how "good" is a good school to you? There are usually three types - good, great and US News awarded.
Brisbane schools appear to be fine - they gave one elementary & one middle school located in Brisbane. Both have API's in the 800's. There is another elementary school in the Brisbane School District, Panorama, which is actually located in Daly City (and described as a "small school". It is a K-5th grade school with only 109 students). There API is 784, dropped from 794.

API County List of Schools

Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Well, Colma has a population of only 1,792. Or 1.5 million, if you count dead people.

I have no idea what it's like to live there. I imagine it must be rather quiet. But it might not be suitable for families, unless your last name is Addams.
Ah yes, Colma. I never thought of Colma as a town, it's basically a neighborhood in Daly City. I imagine living there is just like living in Daly City, except you're closer to the dead.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM

191 posts, read 311,543 times
Moraga.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
El Granada is small, I think with a population just a bit over 5K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland