U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,111 times
The house we're particularly interested in apparently had foundation problems about 10 years ago. As a result, they did extensive foundation repairs and releveling using 7-21ft deep piers installed with new continuous concrete grade beams. I know you all aren't necessarily engineers, but does that sound like it's in relatively good shape at this point?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM

31,708 posts, read 17,348,094 times
Foundation problems and seismic retrofitting are two different things. It sounds like they spared no expense fixing the foundation, but that isn't seismic retrofitting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_retrofit

Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM

If we do bid on the house, we'll have to have it checked if it has been seismic retrofitted. The listing agent said it was, but I don't entirely trust that without seeing paperwork.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM

31,708 posts, read 17,348,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resshin1716 View Post
If we do bid on the house, we'll have to have it checked if it has been seismic retrofitted. The listing agent said it was, but I don't entirely trust that without seeing paperwork.
Right, and a knowledgeable inspector should be able to discuss with you the difference between retrofitting, and the foundation work that was done.

P.S. Do we get to see pix if you get the house?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,684,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resshin1716 View Post
Yeah, you live in Earthquake country. If you own a home on a hill, a large part of your cost and maintenance will be upkeep and implementation of seismic retrofitting (if you don't want your house to do the cardboard slide down a grassy hill).

Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
P.S. Do we get to see pix if you get the house?
Haha, this will be the absolute first time we're putting in a bid. We're nervous and trying to keep our expectations low, but if we get the house, you got it.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,423,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That was the only fire that the East Bay has seen in about a century, and it was determined that it was started by kids goofing around. Fires aren't a danger.
Did they eliminate kids or goofing around? The reason the fire was such a disaster is because of where it occurred not that it happened. The next time some kids goof around, the result will be the same. The fire suppression measures aren't any better now than they were then. The problem is the area, not the abilities of the fire departments to respond.

That it is a nice area isn't really a question, it is. Drive around and you'll see that very little has changed to reduce the chances of another firestorm like event. So long as you consider that, good to go.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

202 posts, read 174,324 times
Honestly I think I've seen more stories about houses falling into the ocean than sliding down a hill. I'd still prefer to live on flat though. We live at the bottom of a hill and got flooded during El Niño, but no slides.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

946 posts, read 1,216,229 times
really?!?
the most expensive purchase in your life and you are asking the yahoos on city data? really?!

HIRE A SEISMIC ENGINEER

Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
really?!?
the most expensive purchase in your life and you are asking the yahoos on city data? really?!

HIRE A SEISMIC ENGINEER
Wow... wasn't expecting that. I mentioned that we would get an inspector and that I wasn't just taking the word of the listing agent. There would be an addendum to back out of the purchase if it is not structurally sound, I was simply asking those that have opinions or experience in the situation to share some light on what they do/would do. I just didn't want to put myself in a situation of hiring and inspector and engineer only to find out what others already know. I get that you're just trying to help, so it's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland