U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving from NYC to SF toward the end of this year. I will be visiting in march to stake out the area. I am a single girl and won't mind living in a small studio. I live in NY and its so expensive here that I had to give up my apartment and rent a room. The thing is, I don't have a car and I'm not sure if I will have one by the time I move.

I need to move to an area that is close to San Francisco by public transportation, that is relatively safe, and about $800 a month.

I live in Harlem so I am not scary. But living in harlem, or brooklyn, I know which parts are nice and which parts are bad. Its kind of hard to figure that out when your unfamiliar with a city. Please help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM

21 posts, read 14,650 times
Convenient public transportation
Safe
Cheap

Pick 2

Just kidding. But seriously, look into North Oakland areas along BART if you wanna stay around $800/mo... Harrison St/Oakland Ave, Piedmont Ave, Grand Ave, Adams Point, Temescal, Rockridge (more expensive), all will get you to SF very quickly via public transportation, and they're all nice neighborhoods. As for the city, you may get lucky somewhere in the Mission or Haight sharing an apartment with someone, but it'll be tough in that price range.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,881,040 times
Won't be easy to find even a studio for $800 or less in a nice urbane part of the East Bay. I'd see what you can find in the Grand Lake and Lake Merritt area in Oakland, though don't go too far southeast of the Lake since it gets pretty ghetto after a while. Otherwise, see what you can find in Albany maybe? The Temescal in Oakland might have something, but do try and stay east of Telegraph Ave. West of Telegraph is pretty crappy, east of it is pretty nice.

I just did a craigslist search and there's hardly anything under $800 in those locations I listed, and they're often in crappy areas like west of Telegraph in North Oakland. There were a couple in the Piedmont Ave area that looked good though. I'd look into getting roommates honestly, since there's so few listings it will be competitive to find a studio at that price.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,263,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeba View Post
I need to move to an area that is close to San Francisco by public transportation, that is relatively safe, and about $800 a month.
I'd $750-$800 is about the minimum one pays for a decent studio around here.

There are a few places scatter around that meets your criteria; at that price point it's going to be very competitive to land a place. Definitely Oakland is your best bet - look in: Lake Merritt, Dimond, Laurel, Maxwell Park, Allendale, etc; and places north of 580 and east of 24 (probably out of your price range but you never know).

Craigslist.org is pretty much the only game in town. Beware of scams, if a place is too good to be true it's a scam.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 63,194 times
there is no such thing =D. rent in the bay are is high. i live in millbrae. it is safe. rent here though is up the you know what. i was told by the landlord's daughter (she's a realtor too) that foreignors (from china, hong kong, japan etc...) are coming to this area offering a lot of money and driving the rents and home prices out the roof.

sometimes, and i mean sometimes, you can get luck and find a deal, but that is luck. overall, the bay area is way too expensive.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM

622 posts, read 433,584 times
For $800 you'll have roommates in San Francisco, Berkeley, or Oakland. I'm not even sure how you get an $800 studio in Harlem either.

I ask because I used to live there and it's not cheap unless you luck out on a rent controlled sublease of some sort which I did, initially.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 AM

202 posts, read 188,819 times
There's nothing near the multiple BART stations in Hayward for near $800? I'll have to check tomorrow. There must be.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM

25 posts, read 15,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
For $800 you'll have roommates in San Francisco, Berkeley, or Oakland. I'm not even sure how you get an $800 studio in Harlem either.

I ask because I used to live there and it's not cheap unless you luck out on a rent controlled sublease of some sort which I did, initially.

I COMPLETELY AGREE
you need to get roommates to live decently. theres other costs to living here.

where are you working in SF?
it doesn't matter how close you are to public transportation if you work on the other side of the city.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM

25 posts, read 40,404 times
800 dollars would be very cheap rent in the bay area. If you do not want roommates and need an apartment at this price, your best bet is the Oakland flats (the east bay is fairly sharply divided into the flats (poor) and the hills(rich)).

Understand that the cheap parts of Oakland are real ghettos and they are California ghettos. This will be confusing coming from Manhattan. You will spend time driving around neighborhoods in the Oakland flats and they will look like nice neighborhoods with many well kept single family homes. Do not be deceived. Spend some time talking with people in the area before you move in.

I have family in New York and have spent a lot of time there. Harlem is much, much safer than the Oakland flats or any place within an hour commute of SF where you can find an 800 dollar studio. They do not compare. New York is one of the safest major cities in America. I lived for a few years in one of the "safer" areas of the Oakland flats. On my block there was: most of my neighbors houses were broken into, several drive-bys happened including one with fully automatic weapons that killed an innocent, crack openly sold on my corner in daylight, police did not consider gunshots worth responding to unless I saw someone get hit, fourteen year old girls forced to prostitute themselves down the block, fourteen year old boys brandishing pistols, old ladies beaten up.

If you are young and single, you may want to consider paying a little more and living with roommates in one of the nicer neighborhoods of Oakland, such as Rockridge, or west Berkeley.

If you live in an inexpensive neighborhood in the bay area, you will definitely need a car for personal safety reasons. The streets at night are dark and empty, it makes a lot of New Yorkers feel kind of freaked out.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,543,955 times
$800 a month is not going to happen. Try the East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland