U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,594,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Just all around bad advice here. You are getting a 100% raise. That is almost unheard of. You would not get another offer like that. Remember your next salary will be determined by your current salary. 75k is decent if you rent, have no major loans and no kids. You can either choose to survive earning 40k rest of your life or have a real shot at a career and six figure salary with the move
This. Take the 75k job but forget Burlingame. (If I may ask the OP, why Burlingame?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM

622 posts, read 397,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The decision should be made, more on which job you would enjoy the most, where is your future (which company offers advancement) and why you really want to re-locate? You and your wife are the only ones that can answer these questions. Sometimes it is worth the sacrafice for the future, other times it is better to sit back and wait for another opportunity. Money isn't the only thing to consider. Something else; you have no kids and your wife is a stay at home wife. Are either of these situations likely to change in the near future? If a family is in the picture, $75,000 becomes a lot harder to live on..What about taxes and insurance differences in the two areas?

You need to do a lot of comparison shopping before making a decision.
This is where I stand. If he's getting an offer of $75,000 now who is to say that he won't get another offer from this or another company for more?

However, it's not just about money. Denver, CO is also a nice place to live.

If they want to make the move, there is a lot to consider. If kids and home ownership aren't in the immediate future and it's not going to socially be too stressful (assuming friends and family are in the Denver area), okay.

I'd still haggle for a better offer and ask to talk to people doing the same or similar job at that company to get a feel for their lifestyles: where they live, how long they have to commute, how much they can save, etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

7,758 posts, read 4,295,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Just all around bad advice here. You are getting a 100% raise. That is almost unheard of. You would not get another offer like that. Remember your next salary will be determined by your current salary. 75k is decent if you rent, have no major loans and no kids. You can either choose to survive earning 40k rest of your life or have a real shot at a career and six figure salary with the move
Put it this way...it depends on his career path and what near term goals he has.

If kids will be in the cards soon and both were to work...probably better to stay put or have one stay home. Child care alone can be over $1K a month. That's $12K gone right there in a year.
If they wish to own a home soon with that job...forget it. Not happening on the peninsula even at twice that salary, and if it's happening out East, then welcome to 2-3 hours commute each day. Back where I came from in a ~1M population metro area, a decent house can be had for $150K. Mid peninsula, try $700K purchase price for a tiny fixer-upper - if you're lucky. Anything that would be considered just decent is closer to $1M, which will translate into roughly $5K a month PITI at interest rates in the range of ~4.25%...not to mention the extra cash in addition to 20% down you'd need to beat out all of the bidders who can go in without contingencies. Good luck doing that even at $100K. Real estate market is rebounding big-time right now, and rents are too for that matter. I rented in San Carlos for $2750 for 2 years...condo next to me went out for rent toward the end of my stay (late 2012) for $4K and was quickly occupied.

If it's a career trajectory that will get to $100K slowly over many years...then you're not really getting ahead if you're tied up around the peninsula. It will take a long time to save for anything and require more drastic belt-tightening. You'll always have significantly inferior relative purchasing power compared to what you would with that job elsewhere in the nation, even with a good paycut.

Last edited by ambient; 01-25-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 24,150 times
Hi EVERYONE...!! You guys are awesome! This forum is so active it is unbelievable! Thank you for all the great advice that's coming from your experience! We have decided to stay put for now... job alone is not what matters for now, couple of munchkins are in the works I hope :-) So thinking about that, based all of your inputs, we decided to stay put! Thanks again guys...But just to clarify something... we decided to pick Burlingame because we found an apartment that was really awesome!. Pacifica was another choice but it was very expensive too...Oakland - we heard mixed reviews and horror stories... thanks again guys....

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM

202 posts, read 175,114 times
I would have taken the job and lived in the 925.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 AM

11 posts, read 24,150 times
Turbotalon...what is 925?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 AM

622 posts, read 397,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yathrakaaran View Post
Turbotalon...what is 925?
925 area code - inland Alameda and Contra Costa county: Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Concord, Danville, Dublin, Lafayette, Livermore, Martinez, Oakley, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Pleasanton, San Ramon, and Walnut Creek.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 16 days ago)

49,015 posts, read 40,464,438 times
After living all over the country pretty much, usually for job re-location, I can understand the Ops decision. Life is too short to put money ahead of happiness. Yes, we all know career future is important, but there are other jobs out there, he can continue to consider places to live and be happy where he is until the perfect fit comes along. Hopefully, we will see an improvement in the employment scene and he will have a lot of opportunities. We made a really bad move once, because of a job. Many told us not to jump, well we didn't listen and have often regretted it. When someone has a chance to almost double their income and yet has to ask, if it is a good move, I see a red flag;;it says, probably this isn't the move for you.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 785 times
There is something that nobody seems to notice, in CA the taxes are a lot higher that in most states. I don't know how much are in Colorado, but here the states keeps the 45% of your income, so, maybe its not that much money what are you turning down. Keep that in mind.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM

202 posts, read 175,114 times
If JUST the state is taking 45% of your wages you're doing something seriously wrong on your taxes. Or pay child support...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland