U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 AM

507 posts, read 569,018 times

Advertisements

First one from a guy who moved from Boston. Seems pretty accurate to me, though I don't notice the PBR that much. And watching sports seems to pretty dang serious, but this year might be special.

25 Things I wish I knew before moving to San Francisco The Art of Living

Favorite bit:
Quote:
Neighborhoods define you.
People take the neighborhood you live in pretty seriously. Its often a quick way to figure out a lot of what a person values most as SF is a city with something for everyone. Each neighborhood has a unique set of offerings, and pros and cons. Like any stereotype, its not always true, but you will find that yes, there are a lot hipsters in the Mission, bros in the Marina and families in Noe Valley.
Then this list was written as a response, from a native:

34. On [Other] Things You Should Know About San Francisco San Francisco Love Affair

Favorite bit:
Quote:
10. San Francisco is a tiny city, and you will bump into everybody you know here all the time. Including that girl with whom you went on that incredibly awkward and uncomfortable okCupid date.
(So true. Well, not the date, but I do run into people constantly.)

Do read the linked lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM

622 posts, read 440,442 times
I'll have to go in and read these articles later. I think ~maybe~ the first quote was accurate when rents weren't so out of control. When I first moved to San Francisco, I was in the Hayes Valley and chose that specifically because it was close to my law school. Then I just grew into the neighborhood. After that, I lived in the Richmond for a couple of months when I moved back from living abroad before moving on to NYC. That first neighborhood possibly defined me over time as I slowly fit into it, but that short stay in the Richmond didn't.

Now if you get a good living situation and want to live in the city you take it. That's what happened to me. When I started looking in December to move back, I cast the net wide having my cut off be 19th Ave. Ends up I found something in Parkside, so I threw that cut off out of the window. I like it here, but I'm definitely not defined by the neighborhood. I'm brand new to it.

Anyway, I know people in certain neighborhoods now. They're all transplants and they definitely don't fit the stereotype and, honestly, that's good.

I think if you're out and about you'll run into people a lot. That's true. I was at a holiday party and sure enough ran into a few people including two people I'd decided to keep at arm's length. Go figure.

However, the same thing happens in NYC too. It's more about the circles you run in there though.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM

507 posts, read 569,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Anyway, I know people in certain neighborhoods now. They're all transplants and they definitely don't fit the stereotype and, honestly, that's good.
Yeah, actually all the people I know who live in the Castro aren't gay, and all the gay people I know live elsewhere. (Oakland, mostly, I think.)

Still, it's entertaining to walk down Divisadero and note how dramatically the people in the area change every couple blocks.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

622 posts, read 440,442 times
Just read them. Loved the second one. The first was "meh". I did like his website suggestions for finding out what's going on. Being an early adopter though, I'd forgotten I was a member of Sosh already and I've been a Thrillist member since my NYC days. But I'd completely missed UpandOutSF.

The second one really had the view of someone who is a local and that, for me, is almost always better unless I'm specifically seeking the newb pov.

Loved the point about Marin. I go to Sausalito almost never. I went recently with my boyfriend as he's from Europe and had never been there. What I'm really looking forward to doing is going to Tiburon and an Angel Island picnic and hike with him when things warm up. Writing this also reminds me that I should take a field trip to Mill Valley's downtown square soon. I love the shops and restaurants there.

The Ferry Building? Love. My office is just steps away so I'm there a lot.

The Richmond for Chinese food? Totally. There is one dim sum place in Chinatown that's good and I'm not saying the name. However, hints: it's to-go only; the line is usually out of the door; and, of course, most of the people in line are Chinese.

With that said. Thanks for the links. The two perspectives were interesting to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland