U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
 
5,489 posts, read 4,727,811 times
Reputation: 4540
Angry Did Oakland really declare "Ebonics" as a REAL language?

Someone just posted this in the NYC forum.

Please say this is an urban legend? PLEASE???

They didn't really do this? Did they?

 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Oakland CA
266 posts, read 186,728 times
Reputation: 158
There was a controversy over this but it was back in like 1995 or something. It is entirely irrelevant now.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM
 
5,489 posts, read 4,727,811 times
Reputation: 4540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
There was a controversy over this but it was back in like 1995 or something. It is entirely irrelevant now.
Good! I just needed confirmation.

Someone posted it as though it as FACT.

Thanks for clearing it up. I'm good now.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,167 posts, read 13,217,511 times
Reputation: 5355
Google is your friend, you'd find your answer a lot quicker with a Google search as opposed to starting a thread in here. And you know this thread will inevitably attract a few posters obsessed with all things against Oakland.

ANYWAYS, I do remember this, apparently I was in middle school (1996) when it happened, and after a 2 second Google search found this:

Oakland Ebonics controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as a million other articles on it:
oakland ebonics - Google Search
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,856 posts, read 31,330,915 times
Reputation: 10535
As one of the nation's most highly educated large cities, Oakland has better things to do than do something like that.

What happened was a member of the school board back in the early 1990s brought up the issue as a way to seek answers as to the discrepencies in test scores and reading comprehension between some groups--she suggested that perhaps students didnt understand because they speak a different kind of English hence a possible disconnect between teacher and student. It amounted to nothing.

Furthermore, you must know that this subforum is infested with anti-Oakland trolls who actively trash the city at every turn. Why would you ask such a question here instead of simply googling it for yourself?
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM
 
5,489 posts, read 4,727,811 times
Reputation: 4540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Google is your friend, you'd find your answer a lot quicker with a Google search as opposed to starting a thread in here. And you know this thread will inevitably attract a few posters obsessed with all things against Oakland.

ANYWAYS, I do remember this, apparently I was in middle school (1996) when it happened, and after a 2 second Google search found this:

Oakland Ebonics controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as a million other articles on it:
oakland ebonics - Google Search
Yeah, but I wanted QUICK confirmation from people CURRENTLY living there.

I'm very aware of "google". I can't even believe people were seriously considering this nonsense.

Had it passed, no way would those kids have been able to compete in the REAL world to get jobs, get into college or anything else. It was insulting to even put that mess on the referendum.

I'm just happy it NEVER went through. Being that Cali is ALWAYS trying to be the "first" at something, I could believe the poster's story as this being true.

Thank goodness it isn't.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
 
5,489 posts, read 4,727,811 times
Reputation: 4540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As one of the nation's most highly educated large cities, Oakland has better things to do than do something like that.

What happened was a member of the school board back in the early 1990s brought up the issue as a way to seek answers as to the discrepencies in test scores and reading comprehension between some groups--she suggested that perhaps students didnt understand because they speak a different kind of English hence a possible disconnect between teacher and student. It amounted to nothing.

Furthermore, you must know that this subforum is infested with anti-Oakland trolls who actively trash the city at every turn. Why would you ask such a question here instead of simply googling it for yourself?
For one, it was posted in the NYC forum to justify some trash post by someone quoting Bill Cosby's infamous speech from 2004 (oh, and the thread starter is black):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-has-ever.html

I've learned not to listen to anti-Oakland rhetoric on here, because I can "read between the lines".

I didn't want to google it. I wanted quick and immediate confirmation of whether or not this nonsense was true.

And I got it. Thank you.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,167 posts, read 13,217,511 times
Reputation: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yeah, but I wanted QUICK confirmation from people CURRENTLY living there.

I'm very aware of "google".
Google is a lot quicker than starting a thread and a more reliable source for information with something like this than anonymous internet users.

No offense, but threads like this are really the last thing this forum needs.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
 
5,489 posts, read 4,727,811 times
Reputation: 4540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Google is your friend, you'd find your answer a lot quicker with a Google search as opposed to starting a thread in here. And you know this thread will inevitably attract a few posters obsessed with all things against Oakland.
So? They tend to be the same scared rabbits that appear in every post regarding the city.

When Oakland starts hitting the news like Chicago, then I'll take the noise a bit more seriously.

To hear people on here tell it, Oakland is America's Afghanistan.
 
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,167 posts, read 13,217,511 times
Reputation: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So? They tend to be the same scared rabbits that appear in every post regarding the city.

When Oakland starts hitting the news like Chicago, then I'll take the noise a bit more seriously.

To hear people on here tell it, Oakland is America's Afghanistan.
It's aggravating and degrades the quality of this forum. New or first-time users/viewers may also get incorrect or biased information and run with it unfortunately, I suppose that's their own fault though but still.

Either way you got your answer but I doubt the thread will die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top