U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

love thread for san francisco - call it sanfran, The City or 'frisco - I'm a native and none of these nicknames offend me - it actually cracks me up that people get so upset - we are a passionate group!
I'm a native and love this city! please share your native credentials - me...

grew up in the mission, now live in the tenderloin
born at french hospital (doesn't exist anymore)
went to buena vista, everett, lowell, city college
and I love transplants - my mom was one - she came from the east coast and joined a commune way back in 1966
natives, please share your heritage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 AM

396 posts, read 345,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycats8 View Post
love thread for san francisco - call it sanfran, The City or 'frisco - I'm a native and none of these nicknames offend me - it actually cracks me up that people get so upset - we are a passionate group!
I'm a native and love this city! please share your native credentials - me...

grew up in the mission, now live in the tenderloin
born at french hospital (doesn't exist anymore)
went to buena vista, everett, lowell, city college
and I love transplants - my mom was one - she came from the east coast and joined a commune way back in 1966
natives, please share your heritage!
I love you.

I love that your Mom joined a commune.

I'm originally from KY, been in So Cal for 8 years and relocating to the SanFran East Bay Area.

When asking about moving to the SF area on here, I was so put off by people that just wanted to spend their time writing on here telling me what to call the area ... How nobody calls it San Fran ....how I should say that we're moving the East Bay Area, etc. I told hubby I pray that people up there aren't all so uptight.

We are leaving here in less that three weeks, and when people (not on here) ask where we are moving to, I say "the East Bay Area" (having been taught [scolded] on here how to say it), and people look at me like I'm foreign. Then I say, "We're moving to San Fran ... Out in the Bay Area", and they're like, "Ah, cool!"

I just don't think people realize that the rest of us not from that area, pretty much call the whole area San Fran and it's surrounding areas.

Much respect! Jules

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM

202 posts, read 182,660 times
The tough part with saying the East Bay Area is people out of state never know what you're talking about, so you say SF Bay Area and they're like oooo nice. But if you say East Bay, near Oakland (since it's a major city people have heard of) they're like ooo you're gonna get shot.

But the "East Bay" covers a TON of cities/towns. Maybe it's because I'm from here that I like to differentiate but with how different it is and how much area it covers I think it's important to not just say SF.

BTW, Tracy and Stockton are NOT the East Bay. Not really sure what to call those places Over the hill I guess.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 AM

25,077 posts, read 32,511,080 times
I usually only say Im from San Francisco when traveling abroad-SF has such broad global appeal and name recognition that just about everyone knows the landmarks or something about SF...lately Ive noticed people associate SF with Silicon Valley...I was in London at a meeting a few months ago and some
of the people I was with were making arrangements to visit SV and instinctively they talked about the Golden Gate bridge and touristy places in SF they wanted me to take them to.

Otherwise its Oakland or "the Bay Area" -oh and cool story also in Europe a few years ago someone on the street offered to buy my Oaklandish hoodie and they were pretty adamant. lol...I gave to him for free

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM

14,453 posts, read 17,408,037 times
I was born at Kaiser in San Francisco, and lived in San Bruno until about age 10 when we moved across the bay to Lafayette. Once I started driving I spent a lot of time back in SF,
concerts at Winterland and Filmore West, burgers at Mel's, hanging out with hippies.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM

798 posts, read 1,239,855 times
Born at St. Mary's (SF), lived in SF (Bayview/silver terrace area). Moved to the peninsula at 16, then moved back to SF at 18 (living in Noe Valley). Lived there for about 12 years, then moved back to the peninsula.

In middle school (called junior high then) my friends and I used to go down to Haight/Ashbury and hang around (and watch the hippies), and later spent most weekend nights at either Winterland, Fillmore West, or the place down on the great highway which kept changing it's name. Lots of fun .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland